Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: camera transformer for other devices  (Read 11252 times)

paizano1

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
camera transformer for other devices
« on: January 16, 2010, 12:47:59 PM »

Hi all,
Here is the problem I am having.  I have a little 12volt LCD screen for a backup video for the car. It is wireless and picks up the x-10 signal for video.  When I use a standard wall transformer at 12volts and 100mah, the screen works fine, but when i use the x-10 powersupply, which is 12 and 80mah the screen repeatedly blinks on and off, on and off, ect.. 

My concern is how is the powersupply working for the video, (is it like a light module or appliance).  I did do a mah test on the LCD and it only draws 35mah, so even the 80 should be OK.

I have read posts about some modules turning on and off because of confusion in the circuit as to whether the device is on or off. That is why i was wondering if there is something in the camera or transmitter that creates a good draw to keep it on.  similar to l.e.d. lights staying on dim with socket rockets.

Thank you in advance for any help with this situation.

oh yeah, I am using a non-x-10 cam at the front door, to a x-10 transmitter and the wireless LCD to pick up the signal and display. I want the LCD to come on via a motion sensor at the front door, so kids can see who is there and then have the screen turn off after a minute or so. Of course trying to do this with 1 transformer, and not a transformer plugged into a module.  Too bulky for outlet. 

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: camera transformer for other devices
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 12:53:38 PM »

Is the power supply one with a stereo type 1/8" connector? The one that keeps part of the camera on while switching the signal part on and off to switch cameras.
The X10 supplies are not regulated at all. Mine with no load is closer to 19 volts and when loaded is closer to 12 volts.
Could be it the lighter load is not pulling the voltage down to close to 12 volts and the LCD isn't happy.

paizano1

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 02:37:19 PM »

it has a female connector on it, but i do have the 1/8" also and it doesnt work either. I tried with a resistor in line to cut the voltage but that didnt work, also tried a capacitor in line and across the leads, that didnt work either.  The other supplies that i use aren't regulated either, but you are right the voltage of mine is closer to 19 also.  That is why i tried to cut the voltage down.  I just couldn't  see that the camera is drawing more than this lcd.  I did try just a relay across the the connector and it does keep it closed without any trouble. 
So I was going to use the transformer to close the relay and the relay could close the circuit of the lcd with a seperate power supply.  But either way that is still cause for 2 power supplies, which makes for a clustered outlet in the kitchen.
One other thing that i noticed is i think it has something to do with the flourescent light in the lcd. That is what is blinking. Maybe the starting of the lcd is more than the 80mah, but the running is only in the 30's.  My meter isn't fast enough to register the peak.  I will try a different meter and post back.
I am also thinking of making a small extension cord so that the transformer can mount to the back of the lcd, and not really be seen from the front, and then the extension cord ( small version) could go to a module and not be to big in the outlet.

paizano1

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 04:12:09 PM »

did want to say one more thing. I did another mah test on the lcd and now for some reason it seems to draw about 34 at the start, then in about a second or two after the backlight comes on it jumps up to about 96-97mah, so i am thinking it is safe to say that the 80 mah transformer just doesn't have the current needed. Dang it.  Will now have to go to plan 2.  Thanks

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 05:59:02 PM »

Oh yes the backlight current.
Glad your new test showed added data.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 10:58:43 AM »

did want to say one more thing. I did another mah test on the lcd and now for some reason it seems to draw about 34 at the start, then in about a second or two after the backlight comes on it jumps up to about 96-97mah, so i am thinking it is safe to say that the 80 mah transformer just doesn't have the current needed. Dang it.  Will now have to go to plan 2.  Thanks

Will this help?
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/PS-1236/12VDC-300MA-SWITCHING-POWER-SUPPLY/-/1.html
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

paizano1

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 12:49:14 PM »

Thanx for the link to the transformer, but i was trying to use just a x-10 one to work everything.  It was the remote turn on feature that i was really wanting without the use of 2 transformers.  I will just use an appliance module and the normal transformer instead of the x-10 one. 
Of course if anybody knows of a transformer that is higher in MA. and still has x-10 control please let me know.

I only have the small x-10 cameras, but maybe someone has the bigger sentinel or the robotic ones and they might use a higher wattage transformer and still be remote control.  If someone has these types of cameras please look at the transformer and post specs.

thank  you

Bob Wg

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 07:55:43 AM »

If you have not worked this out you might try the XM14A which is a power supply for the pan & tilt base ZC15A. It's 12V DC, 200mA

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 08:14:28 AM »

As Bob mentioned the XM14A may do what you want.

Since it has both a constant and switched output. It is not too clear how much of the 200ma rating is switched.

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/XM14A
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 08:16:28 AM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.