Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: wireless car cam; solar powered cam;  (Read 56452 times)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: wireless car cam; solar powered cam;
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2010, 11:40:56 AM »

I don't know how expensive it would be. This product is less than $40 retail: http://www.batterymart.com/p-isc175-imob-175ma-solar-battery-charger.html
I had originally estimated camera power at 150ma since X10 said a battery pack would run camera about four hours. I now think that is too high. Maybe camera is 50ma or so. So the panel must be big enough to power camera and Ninja base standby current(?) 100% of time. I guesstimate a total of 100ma and it must still have reserve to charge battery. This guess work does not include current drain for an P&T action of the Ninja, nor does it factor solar panel less than optimum conditions (the output current given is always "ideal", meaning bright sun, anything less, and output current falls dramatically). I think you would need a much larger panel. Depending on P&T usage, and whether you live in Arizona or not, at least double or even >500ma.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 12:31:10 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

cyan

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2010, 05:48:31 PM »

I don't know how expensive it would be. This product is less than $40 retail: http://www.batterymart.com/p-isc175-imob-175ma-solar-battery-charger.html
I had originally estimated camera power at 150ma since X10 said a battery pack would run camera about four hours. I now think that is too high. Maybe camera is 50ma or so. So the panel must be big enough to power camera and Ninja base standby current(?) 100% of time. I guesstimate a total of 100ma and it must still have reserve to charge battery. This guess work does not include current drain for an P&T action of the Ninja, nor does it factor solar panel less than optimum conditions (the output current given is always "ideal", meaning bright sun, anything less, and output current falls dramatically). I think you would need a much larger panel. Depending on P&T usage, and whether you live in Arizona or not, at least double or even >500ma.

It sounds like a solar powered camera only [No Ninja base] would be readily doable then, maybe for as little as $15-20 additional dollars. Would the wattage of the solar array make a difference? For instance, would a 5 w solar charger work more efficiently/effectively than a 1 watt solar charger, assuming both were rated at 200ma?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2010, 06:42:17 PM »

........ It sounds like a solar powered camera only [No Ninja base] would be readily doable then, maybe for as little as $15-20 additional dollars.

Do you still plan on mounting this in a car? If you do... no solar charging should be required... unless this is one of those cars that is mowed around. If you actually drive this car... the battery will recharge itself when the engine is running. Or if you wish... you can put the camera (and Ninja) on an On/Off switch.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

cyan

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »

........ It sounds like a solar powered camera only [No Ninja base] would be readily doable then, maybe for as little as $15-20 additional dollars.

Do you still plan on mounting this in a car? If you do... no solar charging should be required... unless this is one of those cars that is mowed around. If you actually drive this car... the battery will recharge itself when the engine is running. Or if you wish... you can put the camera (and Ninja) on an On/Off switch.
The cars are regularly driven. I'm getting different opinions on whether the camera would drain/stress the battery. I can't imagine a small camera which can be powered by a few little AA or 9v batteries would tax a big car battery, but I do not have a background in or great understanding of electronics. The solar power supply would be an option like the battery power packs. I'll check out the geeks.com link. Thanks.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2010, 06:08:14 PM »

If the car is driven every few days, I don't think you have a worry. I thought you were looking for something independant of the car.

cyan

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2010, 06:18:23 PM »

If the car is driven every few days, I don't think you have a worry. I thought you were looking for something independant of the car.
Thanks for your analysis. Also, I probably should have created another wish list thread for the solar power unit. Though the charger could be used in the car, I was thinking more of roof mounts, etc. which might not be available to a power outlet.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2010, 05:22:01 PM »

I probably should have created another wish list thread for the solar power unit. Though the charger could be used in the car, I was thinking more of roof mounts, etc. which might not be available to a power outlet.
In that case I would look for a larger panel than the one you had link to. I just noticed Dave_X10 stated earlier the camera draws 80ma.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.