Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Upstairs Lights  (Read 4455 times)

sk1pmcgee

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Upstairs Lights
« on: February 06, 2010, 06:16:23 PM »

Can someone please help before I spend anymore money on these products.

Situation:

I have AHP installed in my basement with a CM15A mod plugged in my basement as well.

2 Socket Rockets
1 - Basement closet (works perfect) - same room as CM15A
1 - Upstairs bedrooom (does not work, or works sometimes)

1 WS467 (Does not work) - Upstairs bedroom - Same room as socket rocket that does not work

I even bought a passive signal coupler to plug into my dryer outlet

I brought my laptop upstairs and remotely logged into my downstairs computer so I could see if AHP was registering the SS13a remote control commands.

I have 2 seperate problems
1 - When I hit a button on the slimline remote from upstairs AHP only recognizes it sometimes....is that an RF problem? could I use an RF repeater
2 - When AHP does recognize the command and the image of the switch on AHP turns "ON" the actual light in my upstairs bedroom does nothing 9 out of 10 times....1 time out of 10 it will turn on......im not sure what my problem could be.  I thought the passive coupler would fix this problem

Any infor would be greatly appreciated

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Upstairs Lights
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 07:03:31 PM »

What version of AHP do you have?
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

sk1pmcgee

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 07:33:18 PM »

3.236 running on windows 7

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 08:19:36 PM »

The CM15A  does not do well with distance as far as RF goes.  You could possibly try an RR501 in the areas where it is sporadic to pick up the slack.  I had done this in a couple places in my house before I did an antenna mod on my CM15A which now covers my whole house for receiving my remote signals and getting them to the HA computer. 

The other issue may be a distance issue for the PLC signal.  How far is the CM15A from the breaker panel?  Also, how far is the socket rocket and WS467 from the breaker panel?  Add the two distances together and that is approximately how far the PLC signal will have to travel.  If the CM15A is a ways from the panel, you may want to move it closer to it.  You could have your CM15A at one end of your house right below the room where  your rocket and switch are, but if the panel is on the opposite end of the house, the signal will need to travel all the way to the panel from the CM15A and then all the way back to the upstairs room, and that could be quite a distance.

Dan B.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 08:37:57 PM »

3.236 running on windows 7

There's the root of your problem.   3/236 is a known buggy version of AHP, this is well known here, but the suits at X10 USA don't read these forums.   To downgrade AHP to a stable version, go to http://software.x10.com/pub/applications/activehome/ and look for ahp_updt_204.exe.  Save that and install it over what you have now.  It will no affect any timers and macros you already have.  Once it is installed, use the link in AHP under HELP to upgrade to 3.228, the last good version of AHP.

sk1pmcgee

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 09:57:46 PM »

Got the version you described to me installed it....still have the same problem....

not sure where to go from here...plug in coupler is installed...i do not want to start buying noise filters and signal repeaters and investing all this money if this is a lost cause....

Thanks again for your help

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 10:02:01 PM »

Used to have the same problems.  I purchased a v572 for my rf receiver. (couldn't be happier)  Purchased a XTB (couldn't be happier)  I also have dryer coupler (piece of crap).  Just ordered an XTB-IIR (i know I will say" couldn't be happier") very happy with Jeff Volp's products!

Your main problem sounds like range problem with rf and plc. And then maybe a phase issue.
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

sk1pmcgee

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 03:01:33 PM »

I been doing some more research on my problem...if I plug a RR501 upstairs in the same room as my WS467 and my socketrockets....will that fix my problem....I can then use my slimline switch?  or does the slimline switch signal still have to find a way to get to the CM15a in the basement?...I do not really care about AHP at this point...

Solution....can I put a RR501 in every room in the house....and set them to different house codes....and should it work?

Thanks

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 08:58:56 PM »

It should.  The RR501 can be set to every housecode (A - P) and unit codes 1 and 9 so you can have 32 different RR501s

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 06:13:53 AM »

Actually you can have only 16 RR501s. As each will transceive one whole House Code and the 16 Unit codes for that House Code. Since the RR501 has an internal relay that can be 0n Unit 1 or 9. If you used two on each House Code and 1 or 9 unit code. That would be 32 units but they may step on each other.

The WGL V572A is a great all House Code/Unit Code Tranceiver and is much less costly than 16 RR501's. Though if you have power line signal issues. The signals may still have problems getting to all the home.

The slimline switches are also not known for great RF distances.

sk1pmcgee

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 11:20:25 AM »

Does the RR501's dtect rf signals....I want to use a motion sensor to turn on a socket rocket...if I plug a RR501 in the same room as sensor and rocket....will that work......or do I need a CM15a plugged in somewhere as well...

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 12:41:56 PM »

The RR501 or its cheaper impolite [can step on others] TM751 both can receive the RF from the slimline switch or a motion sensor and send an X10 signal back on the power line. The TM751 also can not be controlled by a power line signal only an RF one. The CM15A does not have to get in the picture. Though the motion sensor will send an off after two minutes and the lights will go back off. If you want more control the CM15A maybe able to added things.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.