Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flood Cam: Camera working but not lights? Look here...  (Read 6778 times)

J.B.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Flood Cam: Camera working but not lights? Look here...
« on: January 30, 2010, 08:10:27 PM »

Long time X10 user here.
I thought I would pass this along in case it hasn't been posted before.
I just bought my first flood cam, even after hearing a lot of horror stories about them.
The camera was working fine but I could not get the lights to work at all.
I tried resetting the flood cam by killing power to it (which in my case has to be done from my electrical box).
This did nothing. I noticed the insulating rings that you install between the bulbs and the sockets were a tad bit tight so I removed these and voila! Let there be light!
No issues at all now. Simple fix but something some people may run into an issue with.
It may not be the best idea to leave the sockets open so much to the weather but if you can locate a more flexible rubber type gasket to install, I would think this would be ideal.

Just thought I'd pass this along should there be some chance anyone else runs into a similar issue. >!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: Flood Cam: Camera working but not lights? Look here...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 09:39:35 PM »

J.B.,

Thanks for the thoughtful post!

You know, I had the same issue with the PR511 motion lights.  The weather gasget is very tight and wasn't sliding far enough up the bulb to allow the bulb to contact at the base.  You screw it in, and it feels like the bulb is all the way in because the gasget is catching, and of course, no light.

Good pointer!   :)+

You get a "helpful" from me!

P.S.

I wouldn't suggest most types of "rubber" gasgets as the heat of the bulb could easily melt it and / or catch fire!   ;)

>!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 09:42:09 PM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

J.B.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 12:30:10 AM »

Thanks for the helpful Bill, appreciate it.

I have seen rubber-like (flexible) gaskets at some hardware stores made for outdoor lighting fixtures.
They probably aren't just a standard rubber but a special heat resistant material.

Good point though that it probably wouldn't be wise to make your own out of any old rubber or other material unless you are certain it is safe to do so.

sshuda

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 02:08:39 PM »

I am having a similar issue with floodcams not providing any picture.  I purchased the items in July of 2009 and have not been able to get them to work.

I have the following:
VT38A color floodcam
VR36A video receiver
V11A USB interface

Now, before everyone tells me to make sure the drivers are loaded.  I want to say that I have verified the driver is loaded.  I have connected the Video receiver directly to a TV and get nothing.  I have even gone so far as to put the video camera within 6 inches of the receiver, with it still hooked up to the TV and get nothing. 

When I have the video receiver connected to the USB interface on my computer, all I get, at best, is a very brief picture that is mostly blue with white lines running through it.  When I say brief picture, I mean brief - less than a second.  No color. 

I have communicated with tech support via email to no avail.

Any suggestions??

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 03:32:11 PM »

What operating system sshuda?
The VA11A does not work with Vista or Windows 7. You need a VA12A for those systems.
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/VA11A

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 08:00:27 PM »

I have connected the Video receiver directly to a TV and get nothing.  I have even gone so far as to put the video camera within 6 inches of the receiver, with it still hooked up to the TV and get nothing. 

Sounds like a channel problem...  (ABCD)
>!

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 10:23:06 PM »

With a channel problem, make sure that both the camera and receiver are both on the same channel letter.  Next, make sure the lights are on.  If the unit isn't activated/turned on, you won't get a picture.  the camera doesn't run all the time.  If all that is okay, you may have a defective unit, and if just bought recently, check with X10 on the warranty.

Hope that helps.

Dan B.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 07:22:59 PM »

Oh, and I would test it in "Manual Mode" as the motion could turn off the camera in automatic!   -:)

>!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.