Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 Control of Motorized Awning  (Read 5482 times)

seedyn

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 Control of Motorized Awning
« on: January 31, 2010, 07:32:27 PM »

I hope this post is in the correct forum.

I am an X10 newbie.  I am starting to look at all the things I can automate in the home with the system.  I currently have a starer kit, but as I gain experience, I am excited about the expansion possibilites.  One possibility I am wondering about is if anybody has integrated a Sunsetter Motorized awning to the X10 system.  The control for the awning is strictly an RF remote control which can control the awning extending out, in or any point in between.  Is there anybody that has done this kind of interface?  If not, does anybody have any clever ideas on what I can try?

Thanks,
Seedyn

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: X10 Control of Motorized Awning
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 12:35:50 PM »

seedyn

Assumimg you do not want to hack into the actual motor control on the Sunsetter, the easiest and safest way would be to buy a second Sunsetter RF remote and hack it. This requires soldering and "half fast" engineering skills   ;D  and I would not do it UNLESS the Sunsetter has built in limit switches (we had Sunsetter elec awning on a motor home which did have limit switches so I assume they use same design on their home stuff).

Use two X10 Universal Modules, these will give you a contact closure when they are sent an ON code to their individual address. An OFF signal opens the contacts, or you can select a momentary closure mode also.

Wire one Universal module contacts across the Sunsetter remote's UP button contacts and the second Universal module across the Sunsetter's DOWN button contacts. You now have two X10 addresses that will either raise or lower the awning, and you can do all kinds of neat stuff once you have that.

"This aftershave makes me look fat"

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 06:41:44 PM »

I want a sunsetter so bad. I don't care (too much) if I have to crank it
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 07:54:02 PM »

I want a sunsetter so bad. I don't care (too much) if I have to crank it
Get a crank and spin it with a cheap battery drill.  -:)

seedyn

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 12:58:13 AM »

Hey thanks for the creative ideas.  I'm not sure about the power drill idea, but I asked to be creative.  I may look into the modified remote idea.  The remote and motor for sunsetter are made by mysomfy and I may contact them to see if there is an additional hardwire interface for the motor.  I have seen some awnings that can have a wind detector added.

For bitman - These awnings are great.  Reasonably priced and they work well.  Kinda sounds like x10, huh?  We have purchased two awnings and we really like them. 

If I ever get a sunsetter/x10 connection I will let everyone know.

Thanks,
Seedyn

Portlandpaw

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 09:20:11 AM »

Dave W confirmed my suspicion that the only way to implement X10 control of the Sunsetter would be with the Universal Module.  As described, I did this successfully.  I wish I could post pictures to make the descriptions clearer, but here it goes.

After opening the remote and removing the circuit board, you'll see each switch has four contacts.  Only two per switch need to be jumped, either two on the same side of the switch.

I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the remote and used four-conductor telephone wire to make the hook-ups.

Soldering was tight, but not that bad.

All in all, a one hour project.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 09:29:36 AM »

Dave W confirmed my suspicion that the only way to implement X10 control of the Sunsetter would be with the Universal Module. 

Even the blind pig gets a truffel once in a while.   rofl

Portlandpaw:

For future reference:
Are you using the Universal Module in the "Momentary" mode or the "Continous" mode?
If continous, how are you controlling the Universal Module? Are you using a macro the turn the UM off once the awning has reached it's stop?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 09:37:50 AM by dave w »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.