Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: V572A Picking Up "RF Storm" Suddenly  (Read 11141 times)

nhw3w

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
V572A Picking Up "RF Storm" Suddenly
« on: February 12, 2010, 01:53:26 PM »

I've been using the all housecode V572A product for 5 years without incident and now, suddenly, it's picking up AON A16, HON H16 in repeating fashion non stop.

It's clogged the system so that nothing works.

I've tried to ID RF issues by unplugging any RF stuff but it doesn't seem to help. I suppose it could be coming for somewhere outside my NYC apartment ...who knows....

Any insights?

Bill H

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Re: V572A Picking Up "RF Storm" Suddenly
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 05:09:07 PM »

I've had a similar problem a few times but only with one code being sent. It always turned out to be something squeezing, pushing, or in some way hitting one of my remote buttons. Two different house codes, however, means this is not that simple.

It could be the AHP interface. Unplug it from the wall and remove its batteries to reset it. Plug it back in. Do not re-download your program yet. If the problems stops, the hardware is good. Now re-download your program. If the problem begins again, it's likely some loop in your program.

If the problem is not your program, it could be a bad remote--locate them all and remove all the batteries one unit at a time.

If the problem still persists, it could be the V572. Unplug it and turn on the AHP receiver. If the problem stops, the V572 could be the cause.

If the problem is still continuing, there are -- fortunately -- lots others on this site with more ideas I'm sure.  :'

nhw3w

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 05:40:49 PM »

Thanks for the ideas. I know it's an RF signal problem becuase as soon as I unplug the V572A the problem stops. I can still use AHP when the V572A is unplugged.

I swapped out the old V572A for a new one so I pretty sure it's not the V572A.

I've isolated the source of the RF to a couple of rooms in my appartment (by walking around with the V572A plugged into and extention cord and the antenna unplugged (was told this provides a 10 foot radius of RF reception)) but I can't locate the source(s).

I like on the top floor of an 8 story brownstone in Manhattan. I've checked outisde the apartment and thesource is not out there...

Such a mystery and making me miserable.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 06:22:59 PM »

Sounds like another X10 user in the building. May have a remote with a stuck button.
Hope you find the source.

nhw3w

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 06:42:54 PM »

no...it can't be anyone else. I know them and they are all luddites. It's SOMETHING in my appartment...can't figure it out tho..

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 07:18:16 PM »

When you tried the second V572 did you use the same TW523 or PSC05 interface? Maybe it is going bad if you tried both V572s on the same adapter.
If it was one of the Smarthome V572 kits with their 1132B Interface. I would suspect the 1132B as I had one get flaky on my TesterLinc and give all kinds of false error messages.

I believe I may have also seen your thread over in Cocoontech. If you have a CM15A does AHPs Monitor Section also show the RF firestorm?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 07:21:25 PM by Brian H »

nhw3w

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 07:46:54 PM »

well...it can't be PSC05 because I tethered the whole setup to a long extention cord with no antenna attatched (actually picks up signals in a short radius) and figured out that the "storm" is located somewhere near the bedroom or livingroom...doesn't happen in the kitchen or outside the apt...so strange....the AHP shows the storm...that's how I know about it...

eagle

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 07:52:44 PM »

I'm sure you've done this already...

Try unplugging EVERYTHING in those two rooms and see what happens.

Perhaps even removing batteries from all remotes in those rooms.

Yes? No?

r,
eagle

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 08:09:16 PM »

well...it can't be PSC05 because I tethered the whole setup to a long extention cord with no antenna attatched (actually picks up signals in a short radius) and figured out that the "storm" is located somewhere near the bedroom or livingroom...doesn't happen in the kitchen or outside the apt...so strange....the AHP shows the storm...that's how I know about it...
I can't offer any sugestions but want you to know you are making a great effort and doing some excellent troubleshooting. Many post with "My X10 don't work, whats wrong? any suggestions?".

Do you own an Icon RF remote?

Good luck
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

nhw3w

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 09:19:32 PM »

I don't think I own an Icon remote (what is it? ...why do you ask?)

I will eventually unplug everything but I have to do it when my family will permit it (!)

nhw3w

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 09:20:41 PM »

I just discussed it with the family and the whole project will have to wait a week. Keep in mind if it IS a remote control running on batteries...it will eventually stop.

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 10:10:15 PM »

I've had this happen because of my (only have one) Insteon module.  Do you have one of those?

nhw3w

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 10:48:42 PM »

I have many but none of them send RF so they can't be the problem....right?

eagle

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 12:02:34 AM »

How about systematically unplugging each electrical and checking AHP to see if the viral signals stop?  You can replug the device if the signals continue.  That way you won't have to wait a week.

Or perhaps send them all out to dinner while you unplug everything.  :)

They have to leave those rooms eventually right?  :)

r,
eagle

nhw3w

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 07:13:09 AM »

The problem is that I have an ENORMOUS number of things plugged in... all artfully packed away so that nothing is seen...unwinding all of this is VERY difficult and then putting it all back together again takes a lot of time...please stay tuned...
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.