Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Baby monitor buzz  (Read 8168 times)

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
Baby monitor buzz
« on: February 13, 2010, 12:48:19 AM »

I did Dave's baby monitor hack, and couldn't get it to work so I got the server to record the input received by the baby monitor and there was a lot of BUZZ!!! I assume this is because the baby mon rcvr and the usb sound adapter don't share a common ground?

Here is a link to the recording:
http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/112099/baby.0000.wav

EDIT:  I didn't use a stereo cable like in the instructions, I used two separate 22?awg wires so there was no ground wire wrapped around them or anything.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 12:57:00 AM by pomprocker »

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
Re: Baby monitor buzz
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 03:00:34 PM »

I fixed it, I just ran a third wire from the sleeve (common) connection on the 3.5mm stereo plug to the ground (GND) of the baby monitor.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Baby monitor buzz
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 09:06:27 PM »

I fixed it,

Great now to get the volume down low enough on both the baby monitor... and the PC. Much too loud and BVC will stop (from some sort of overload). Sorta too loud and BVC won't understand you well. Just slightly too loud and the monitor will allow BVC to recognize your commands across the room while barely more than whispering.

Of course... the whispering sounds cool... unless there are other people, TVs, Radios, or pets in your home. Then all that extra sound will confuse the system.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.