Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: PC to TV Entertainment Anywhere  (Read 70653 times)

mr.foutch

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
PC to TV Entertainment Anywhere
« on: February 13, 2010, 09:33:10 PM »

The description of the sender (transmitter) and receiver on this gizmo is innacurate. Input to the tranmitter is limited to 3 RCA jacks and an IR Ext. The receiver is equipped to "output" the signal to the TV with 3 RCA jacks and a composite video nipple. The description of the units included in trhis package is inaccurate (no "S" video socket on either the transmitter or receiver). Be prepared to dink around for a long time trying to hook these components to your PC if you don't own a Radio Shack or have the necessary adapters at hand. And also be advised that the transmitter operates at 240 Ghz, as does your DSL router (view Netflix over a modem connection?), and probably your cordless phone. This can sometimes be worked around by changing the channel that your router transmits over to either of channels 1,2,or 11. Ask an electrician why you shouldn't use any other channel. ' Course then you need to figure out how to get a video signal out of your computer and into the tranmitter. And get the sound from the 1/8"  stereo jack on your PC and into the transmitter via 2 RCA plugs. I (still) believe I can do these things. My cordless phones are 900hz. I'll keep you posted.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: PC to TV Entertainment Anywhere
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 09:48:10 PM »

.... And get the sound from the 1/8"  stereo jack on your PC and into the transmitter via 2 RCA plugs. I (still) believe I can do these things.

I didn't have any trouble... see it on my youtube video... of my youtube video. Although mine have mostly been used broadcasting my theater videos to the upstairs TV and viewing security cameras on the TV. (see other videos)
Home Automation is an always changing technology

mr.foutch

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 10:26:44 PM »

I expected to be able to connect my PC to my (stand alone) TV located in another room wirelessly. I wanted to watch Hulu, or alluc.org, or Netflix on my television. I want to have no wires from one room to the next. I want to broadcast from the PC. But I can't get the video from the PC into the transmitter because my video card isn't equipped with RCA sockets (whose is, anymore).

eagle

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 11:16:28 PM »

Did you find out about the terminals after receiving the product?

Perhaps you missed the description on the website that specifically lists the interface terminals only being RCA and coax.  http://www.x10.com/promotions/vk82a_wireless_tv_burst_v2.html?IMAGE

r,
eagle

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 11:33:57 PM »

In order to broadcast your PC using this device, you need either a video card that has a composite video out or a VGA to TV scan converter.  Watching TV or video shouldn't be the worst, but if you are thinking that you are going to surf the web on your TV with any kind of clarity forget it.  An NTSC composite video signal is 480i at a 4x3 aspect ratio which is a very low resolution (480x360).  If you are going to try to take a computer signal with a resolution of even 800x600 ,which is low for computer standards these days, and compress it to a 480x360 picture, you are going to loose a lot of clarity.  Imagine compressing an XGA  @ 1024x768 image or god forbid a UXGA @ 1600x1200 down to the 480x360.  You don't notice this as much with a video image, but anything with defined lines will look terrible.

Bottom line is though that you need to convert the computers higher resolution signal down to the NTSC signal level.

Hope that puts some of it into perspective a little

Dan B.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

eagle

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 11:45:07 PM »

Here's an option for you.

PC to TV converter:
http://sewelldirect.com/pc-to-tv.asp

You'd also need this for audio.
http://sewelldirect.com/35mm-Mini-Stereo-to-Dual-RCA-RW-Cable-12-ft.asp

So, you'd connect the laptop VGA out to the converter and then the RCA out from the converter to the x10 Video transmitter.

For audio, you'd connect the cable mini-stereo cable to RCA from the laptop to the converter.  Then the RCA out from the converter to the x10 Video transmitter.

r,
eagle

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 09:45:52 AM »

eagle

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 10:00:54 AM »

^^

There you go!

Get something like this plus the cable for the audio and you should be good to go.

r,
eagle

mr.foutch

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 04:54:30 PM »

Ya know people, these suggested "work around" ideas are appreciated. I didn't buy this thing with the expectation that I'd need to do any dinking around. Or spend any more money to get what I want. The fix I'd like to have is to obtain the code I need to get my video card (ATI Radeon Express 200) to output through a USB port. I've already purchased a USB to 3 RCA cord from DinoDirect. I know how to configure a few different fixes. It's good to hear from others about their ideas. But I'd hoped to do this for <$100. I mean, if I wanted to spend more I would have just gone to Best Buy and bought a Netgear Push 2 for $100 and been done with it.

And the thing that I paid for was advertised thus: http://www.x10.com/promotions/ur86a_ed_sender_0821_v2.html

eagle

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 05:10:19 PM »

You have reason for your displeasure.

That webpage does say "Just hook the tiny sender to your PC with some RCA or S-Video cables." intimating that the video sender accommodates Svideo.

Well, the manual shows and makes no mention of Svideo. 
ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/vk82a-om.pdf

Hope you find a workable solution though, x10 or not.

r,
eagle

mr.foutch

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 06:22:53 PM »

Thanks Eagle

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 06:25:19 PM »

perhaps it's time to send it back?
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 07:13:18 PM »

The fix I'd like to have is to obtain the code I need to get my video card (ATI Radeon Express 200) to output through a USB port. I've already purchased a USB to 3 RCA cord from DinoDirect.

Wait a minute... USB.... or HDMI? If you have an HDMI/DVI... "digital output" your not going to be able to wirelessly send that via the sender/receivers. The RCA connections on the sender/receivers are analog only.

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 08:17:37 PM »

I've already purchased a USB to 3 RCA cord from DinoDirect.

I looked at the cables that DinoDirect has and none of them will do what you need.  You need one of two things.

• A different video card that has a composite video output signal like this one from TigerDirect.  If you get a different video card for your computer, you should see what kind of card slots you have available (AGP, PCI, PCI-e, etc...)  to know what kind of video card to get. With computers that have video built into the system board, this can get a little tricky to set up.
  • Or a VGA to TV scan converter like this one from SwellDirect.  This is probably your easiest option.  This one has a place to plug your monitor in so that you don't need to buy a video splitter or Y cable.  Just plug it in between your monitor and your PC and plug your video for the TV into the yellow RCA port.

These are really your only two options unless there is some company that is selling some kind of USB device that will send your video signal to your TV, but I haven't found one.  You will still need the mini headphone to red and white RCA cable to connect to your sound card for the audio though.

The cable that you bought from DinoDirect should be sent back.  If they told you it would work, they are wrong.  What you want to do is not difficult, you just need the right equipment.

Hope that helps a bit

Dan B.

Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

mr.foutch

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 11:21:54 PM »

Hmmmmm. Very interesting. Thanks folks, I'll probably send it back and get a unit that I can truly just "Plug and Play". There are a few such transmitters I've seen that are in my price range. X10 has already anticipated this. They already sent me an RMA#.                                                 

If anyone can think of a less expensive solution than a $30 VGA adapter in the next few days, please let me know.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 11:33:07 PM by mr.foutch »
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.