Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Quick PR511 floodlight question  (Read 6404 times)

eagle

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Quick PR511 floodlight question
« on: February 16, 2010, 04:37:24 PM »

Hi,

I have two of these. 

I had the "sensitivity" initially set to MAX but had to back it off some to about 75% to reduce false activations from tall plants swaying from a mild breeze.

The unit and manual label says Range.  The description in the manual however talks about it as sensitivity.

So, is it range where you adjust the distance from which it senses movement? 

Or is it really sensitivity where you can adjust the sensor's sensitivity to motion regardless of distance?

Just wondering.

Thanks,
eagle

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Quick PR511 floodlight question
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 05:45:30 PM »

So, is it range where you adjust the distance from which it senses movement?  Or is it really sensitivity where you can adjust the sensor's sensitivity to motion regardless of distance?

Two questions... one answer.. yes.

I love the PR511 Floodlights... I really do. But I find I also have to back the range/sensitivity setting off of the MAX setting myself. I don't think it has anything to do with plants or motion... it's just too sensitive at MAX.

I can't say I really ever get a false alarm. I do sometimes warn off a neighbors cat... or stray critter of one sort or another (with the Voice Announcement from my BVC). I have had a sudden strong wind cause a false trigger... but only maybe three times in the last six or seven years.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

eagle

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 05:59:13 PM »

Thanks Dave.

The label (RANGE) with description (SENSITIVITY) just doesn't make sense, at least to me.  :)  They're are related in this application but completely different functions, e.g., you can have a knob for Range and a separate one for Sensitivity.  At least that's how my dense head reads it.  :)

We will see how the sensors respond to the 75% setting.

Hopefully, no more false triggers.

r,
eagle

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 07:48:15 PM »

What I did with my PRS511 was add a Pro Wall Switch Appliance Module to control the on an off times for the 511. If I need the 511 on at night for any reason , I can turn it on from AHP and it stays lit until I turn it off.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

eagle

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 08:28:59 PM »

Good idea Dan.  My setup is a little different though.

I have the lights from a direct feed from the breaker panel.  The electrician installed a new breaker for it on an available slot.  So, that effectively can serve as the "switch" if I wanted to use it as such.   :)

At any rate, I want the sensors active 24/7.  When motion is detected day or night, BVC acts as an enunciator notifying us of any activity in the covered areas/zones.

Don't worry, the lights don't turn on during the day.  Why?  I picked up a tip here at the forum to install the dusk/dawn sensor sockets I picked up at a local hardware store.  So, the lights only come when motion is detected after dusk.  :)

Works like a charm.

r,
eagle

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 09:15:35 PM »

..... the lights don't turn on during the day.  Why?  I picked up a tip here at the forum to install the dusk/dawn sensor sockets I picked up at a local hardware store.  So, the lights only come when motion is detected after dusk.  :)

I read that too. A great idea! I've connected one PR511 as a stand alone with no lights whatsoever. Then I added a second sensor that does control lights. In this setup the PR511 only sends PLC that the CM15A uses in macros.

With this setup my BVC Voice Warning Announcement (seen/heard here) will play.. as well as record video.. day or night. But only during the day.. if we aren't at home.. or if we have manually set the away function. This level of Occupancy Sensing allows me to closely monitor the homes perimeter... yet not be bothered with it when using the Bar-B-Q or mowing the grass.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

eagle

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 11:55:43 AM »

Dan,

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that we have a couple of Palmpads which we use to manually turn on x10 devices around the house including the floodlights.

r,
eagle

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.