Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XTBM voipmeter issue  (Read 13273 times)

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
XTBM voipmeter issue
« on: February 28, 2010, 11:21:32 AM »

I recently ordered an XTBM meter kit and got it all put together.  I have been using it to identify issues with my x10 setup and have actually found some noise makers that I wouldn't have suspected.  I think the meter works great. 

My issue is that I plugged it into an outlet today and got the message "FAIL SELF TEST".  I looked in the XTBM X10 Signal Meter Operation online manual and the manual does not describe this message and what to do to correct it.  If I plug the meter into other outlets it works fine (e.g. finds my repeater and starts normally).  I think a description for this condition should be added to the manual under the full line messages section.

And just a plug in the positive direction for Jeff Voip, the XTBM is an excelent meter and will seriously help in finding ANY X10 issues you may have in your installation.  This meter should be purchased if you are truly serious about your X10 installation and are having a lot of trouble with modules not working, or just to find those pesky signal suckers and noise makers.

Thanks again Jeff.

Dan Bemowski
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

JeffVolp

• Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: XTBM voipmeter issue
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 12:16:10 PM »

My issue is that I plugged it into an outlet today and got the message "FAIL SELF TEST".  I looked in the XTBM X10 Signal Meter Operation online manual and the manual does not describe this message and what to do to correct it.  If I plug the meter into other outlets it works fine (e.g. finds my repeater and starts normally).  I think a description for this condition should be added to the manual under the full line messages section.

Actually, the on line manual does include this line:  "Note that a nearby signal sucker or strong noise source might cause a self-test failure during the repeater check."

Rather than make people wait for several seconds for the digital filters to stabilize, the repeater check is performed as soon as the unit powers up using default values.  Those work well in most instances, but a few people have discovered that the unit displays the Fail Self Test in certain locations.

I could loosen up the tolerance so it would pass the self-test if it is working at all, but I would rather have the self-test verify the accuracy of the unit too.

Your recommendation about adding the warning to the full line messages has been incorporated:

http://jvde.us/xtb/XTBM_instructions.htm

Jeff
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 01:02:50 PM by JeffVolp »
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 01:03:46 PM »

My issue is that I plugged it into an outlet today and got the message "FAIL SELF TEST". 

when this happened to me, it happened to be because it was an old outlet that needed to be replaced. The internal contacts of the outlet weren't making proper contact with the meter.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 06:43:44 PM »

Jeff; Thanks for the updated Operation Manual.
I have downloaded it for future use.

JeffVolp

• Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 11:51:07 AM »

My issue is that I plugged it into an outlet today and got the message "FAIL SELF TEST".

In addition to updating the manual, I added this to the FAQ.  I also added the one about the XTBM displaying under 110KHz for my XTBR.  That one had me puzzled for awhile.

http://jvde.us/xtb/xtb_faq.htm

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 06:06:06 PM »

Many thanks for the FAQ.  Loving the tester.  It has helped me find and resolve a few issues already.

Dan B.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »

Thanks again for the updates and excellent support.
Also for taking the time to analyse the unique CCFL I sent you.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.