Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need advice to add buzzer to garage door safety reverse  (Read 7999 times)

gfriedman

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Need advice to add buzzer to garage door safety reverse
« on: March 01, 2010, 12:48:36 AM »

My sears garage door opener has the photosensor to reverse the door if something blocks the beam.  Problem is when it reverses, say if a broom is in the way, it flashes the light but no alarm.  If someone was in a rush they might not notice that the door is left open.   The remote sensors that go in your house to show if the door is open is no good if your not home.   I need some way to have a buzzer go off if the safety reverse goes on.   Any ideas?

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: Need advice to add buzzer to garage door safety reverse
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 01:16:26 AM »

gfriedman,

So, if "The remote sensors that go in your house to show if the door is open is no good if your not home."  Where do you want the buzzer to go off?  In the car?   ???

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

gfriedman

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 02:23:29 AM »

No, just need buzzer/beeper in the garage.    That way when door goes into reverse the door opener lights flash but also the beeper will sound to get the person's attention.   The problem is that you push the button to close the door and walk away assuming its going to close.   Well if a paper bag or something blows into the path of the safety photosensor and door goes into reverse chances are you wont notice it.   I want to add a buzzer to get person's attention.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 10:24:08 AM »

The problem is that you push the button to close the door and walk away assuming its going to close.   Well if a paper bag or something blows into the path of the safety photosensor and door goes into reverse chances are you wont notice it.   I want to add a buzzer to get person's attention.

I think what Bill is pointing out is the buzzer would only work as an alert... if your home. The same fault that would cause the door to stay open... could also happen if your leaving the house.
I use a voice alert/reminder macro with the AHP. You can see it "in action" in my YouTube Video.
I don't think it would be too difficult to add a additional warning of a text message sent to a cell phone... if I wasn't home.

Or.... if you don't care to move up to AHP... you could use a PowerFlash Module connected to a reed-switch mounted to the garage door. This would allow you to have a light be ON... if the garage door is open. You can also just buy a device with a warning light at your local building supply store.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 10:32:22 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 12:15:22 PM »

I need some way to have a buzzer go off if the safety reverse goes on.   Any ideas?
About the only way to do that is to hack into the opener control board. You will need to figure out what changes state when the IR beam obstruction sensors gets interupted. The control logic then stops the motor and flashes the light...probably all controlled by a micro processor. That's going to be a toughie. How about sitting in the drive until the door closes?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 02:32:40 PM »

..... How about sitting in the drive until the door closes?

Oh [duh] I get it now. gfriedman is saying (typing) that he's sure he will spot the flashing light and door open as he backs out of the driveway. But if he is going into the house... he may miss that.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

gfriedman

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 05:35:16 PM »

I need some way to have a buzzer go off if the safety reverse goes on.   Any ideas?
About the only way to do that is to hack into the opener control board. You will need to figure out what changes state when the IR beam obstruction sensors gets interupted. The control logic then stops the motor and flashes the light...probably all controlled by a micro processor. That's going to be a toughie. How about sitting in the drive until the door closes?

lol...I suppose if I'm not late for work I can patiently wait in the car... but what of the wifey?   I guess I can put a voltmeter on the IR sensor wires to find out what signal it sends when the beam is interupted and possibly tie a buzzer to that.   Of course it'll go off if I am just walking across the beam path but it seems a small price to pay.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.