Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Socket Rockets Turn on But not Off  (Read 7373 times)

lflorack

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
    • LinkedIn - Lee Florack
Re: Socket Rockets Turn on But not Off
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 01:38:25 PM »

May sound strange, but have you tried flipping both of the two way switches to their other positions? That would again power the light but through each switches other set of contacts and the other traveler wire.

Hmmmm.  Not a bad idea.  I'll throw that into the troubleshooting mix.  Thanks.  Let you know.

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 01:47:32 PM »

What about sending off commands more than once in your macros?

lflorack

• LinkedIn - Lee Florack
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 10:30:07 PM »

If the bulb is near the 150 watt limit or the whole assembly is in a fairly tight enclosure. The Socket Rocket maybe getting hot and the electronics in it maybe getting effected by the heat.

You were the first one to respond about my problem, Brian and it appears that you were right.  I apologize for not checking further back then.  Even though the problem lights are outside in the cold, open at the bottom and only 100 watts, when I checked tonight, the bulbs were quite hot.  So hot in fact, I believe the heat was affecting the Socket Rockets.  The only thing I can figure out is that the lights bulbs are hanging under the Socket Rockets and the heat was rising - and was trapped -- into the top of the light globe.  It also may have something to do with the clear light bulbs that were in there too.  I dunno but they sure were hot.

Anyway, I replaced all three bulbs with 26 watt CFLs because they are all I had on hand and because they would likely run cooler. After several hours of testing with the new bulbs, the lights turned on and off every single time without fail or hesitation.  It's probably risky to say it's solved but I have a good feeling about this fix.

Thanks again to you Brian and to everyone who shared ideas.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 06:12:47 AM »

I hope it continues to work for you.

I had a bad Socket Rocket and took it apart. There isn't much metal on the heatsink used to keep the triac cool and the boards are sandwiched together so tightly. I almost though they would touch each other.

lflorack

• LinkedIn - Lee Florack
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 09:00:26 AM »

I hope it continues to work for you.

I had a bad Socket Rocket and took it apart. There isn't much metal on the heatsink used to keep the triac cool and the boards are sandwiched together so tightly. I almost though they would touch each other.

I do too!  :'

Since the (3) incandescent bulbs (100 watt, clear, decorative) were outside in the cold and the 'globes' are completely open at the bottom, I was very surprised at just how hot the bulbs and socket rockets were.  Maybe it has something to do with the particular bulbs I was using or the fact that the bulbs are under the socket rockets (rising/trapped heat). I don't know, but I could even smell the hot plastic of the socket rockets. When I took the bulbs out, the socket rockets were so hot, I couldn't even handle them for quite a while -- let alone the bulbs.  The replacement CFL's are 26 watt (100 watt equivalent) and they run much cooler.

I'm pretty convinced this will work but will let you know in any case.  Assuming that this is the fix for this last issue, my current system is now very stable.  I can now expand the system again!  :)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 11:05:35 AM »

Well heat does rise and bulb down does add to the heat.
The Insteon short lived SocketLinc Dimmer. Had a requirement to be mounted bulb up only. As upside down produced too much heat in the module.

lflorack

• LinkedIn - Lee Florack
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2010, 12:43:05 PM »

:)%   #:)

Brian H's suggestion that my bulbs and Socket Rockets were getting too hot was correct and has been confirmed.  Replacing the previous bulbs with new cooler ones has proven to be effective!  All is well now.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.