Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Moved into home with X10 (how do I discover what devices are already in place)  (Read 11546 times)

USAFA Ratz

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I bought a home with X10 installed. Is there any easy way to discover what devices are already in the home.  I am having particular difficulty discovering how to turn on a ceiling fan.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

Lamp and Appliance modules are easy. You will find them plugged into the wall outlet and the controlled device is connected to it.

Wall switches maybe harder to ID with out removing the wall switch cover plate and looking at the switch.
Though did you find any Remote Controls or table top controllers or computer connected devices? Using them you maybe able to find each module and what it controls. Along with its X10 address.

Do you know if the Fan is X10 controlled. If it is it maybe on a wall switch or there is a module that mounts inside a fixture and controls it that way.

USAFA Ratz

Thanks you.  This is helpful.  Regarding the fan, there is no wall switch in the room where the fan is located so the control is probably inside the fixture.  Is there is special s/w module that I need to download?  And, what would the fixture inside the controller look like?

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9

Any chance that the fan is a normal, remote controlled ceiling fan?
And not necessarily an X-10 fan?

It seems like all the Hampton Bay and Hunter fans I look at these days all come with their own remote controls.

USAFA Ratz

The previous owner said the fan/light fixture was X10 controlled.  I bought the software and have been able to control wall outlets and lights but not the fan.

Brian H

• Community Organizer

X10Pro makes two fixture modules.
A XPDF is the dimming type and the XPFM is the relay type that does not dim and is used for things like motors.

May take a little time but if you have not tried all 256 combinations of House and Unit Codes you may find the one for the fan.
You could also drop the fan from the ceiling and see if it has a module inside it and what the dials are set to.

What software and controller did you get?

This is what the X10Pro modules look like.
http://www.activehomepro.com/accessories/pro/xpdf_wa1_s.html
http://www.activehomepro.com/accessories/pro/xpfm_wa1_s.html

USAFA Ratz

Thank you.  I have the ActiveHome Professional with the USB controller.

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting

When I have been doing my X10 set up, I have been labelling all my devices with the house and unit code that I have it set at using my label maker with black on clear labels.  I also have a floor plan map of my house showing the location of outlets, lights and other things that I am labelling with the numbers of all my circuit breakers.  You may want to do something like this as you find things.  It will seriously help in the long run.  If you also mark your floor plan map with the house and unit codes, you can get a good visual representation of your set up at a quick glance.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

USAFA Ratz

I found a 'HomePro HPD3" wall switch.  Could they be using this to control the fan?  If so, I don't see a code on the switch and I not sure what software module controls it.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68

I found a 'HomePro HPD3" wall switch.  Could they be using this to control the fan?  If so, I don't see a code on the switch and I not sure what software module controls it.

A Google search for  'HomePro HPD3" wall switch reveals it's not X10 compatible
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

USAFA Ratz

I didn't find that when I searched.

Brian H

• Community Organizer

Elementary question. When you push the paddle on the switch what turns on?
If the paddle doesn't turn anything on. After you look at the manual link below. Make sure the Service Switch near the lower edge of the paddle is not set to off and disconnecting the whole thing.

The setting dials maybe under the removable paddle.

The HPDI3 is a dimer switch that can also control inductive devices like low voltage lights and small motors. Like in a fan.

I found a HPDI3 was a Smarthome product or an OEM for them.
http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/2205ac.pdf

There are two other Homepro Modules listed here. One is another wall switch and the other an in fixture modue.
http://www.smarthome.com/manuals.html

The Homepro Smarthome modules are X10 compatible.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 06:40:36 PM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer

If you find the dials to set it.
In AHP you could define it as a X10Pro XPDI3 as it also can dim and control inductive loads like a fan.

If you by chance see a UL number on it and it is E63636. That is X10s and I did see a few models with HP in their part number. Along with B&D IBM Radio Shack and a few others.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 06:44:11 PM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.