Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Message "Error Getting X10Net Interface"  (Read 14153 times)

bruberg

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Message "Error Getting X10Net Interface"
« on: March 18, 2010, 10:54:14 PM »

AHP won't boot up, not even the main screen. All timed and remote controls still operating.
Noted problem with time change attempt. Appears program is still in computer but "no action"
HELP !!! Did my CM15A bite the bullet ???
Thanks ahead of time.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Message "Error Getting X10Net Interface"
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 01:23:24 PM »

Sounds like an AHP problem, not a CM15A problem. Disconnect the CM15A and see if AHP will load.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

bruberg

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 12:06:53 AM »

Thanks for the reply Dave W.
Disconnected USB from interface, restarted computer, clicked on AHP
NO CHANGE !!!     Bummer  :(

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 12:30:22 AM »

Try uninstalling AHP totally.  First, back up any .ahx files you created.  Then do the uninstall.  When it is done, delete under Program Files, the folder ActiveHomePro and under Program Files/Common Files the folder X10.   Reboot the PC.  When it has fully loaded, reinstall AHP.  Once the install is complete, reboot the PC again. When Windows loads, go into the Control Panel and make sure the interface is seen under the USB devices.  If your see "X10 USB Active Home (APCI-compliant)" = that's the CM15A.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

BaBaLou.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 04:40:39 AM »

Hi bruberg,
If you can and have done nothing yet, I would ask for you to try a quick fix and see if can work on you problem first before reinstalling everything.
First go to X10 software centre and look for the Firecracker software.

http://www.x10.com/support/support_soft1.htm

Follow the instruction on the quick install. Firecracker is a nice addition to my desktop giving me an image of the remote controll unit on screen that I can use with AHP, . If after installing Firecracker, it may ask to be setup so as to work with the cm17a, I think that's the unit it was made for, just ignore that part of the setup and the image of the remote will be there to use on your screen.

Now with all this done, Go back to start AHP and see if it does. I am hoping it does.

I saw this problem a while back and by chance fixed it by reinstalling the Firecracker software. It does use the x10Net file and when reinstalling seems to fix the file for AHP.

This was all done on V3.228.

Not tested on V3.236

Good luck and let us know how this might work for you.

BaBaLou.

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 10:12:32 PM »

I am having the same problem. I did a complete un-install and re-install and the problem is the same. When the program tries to start it launches X10nets.exe and when it does my CPU usage goes to 100%. This is the first time I launched the program since the time change but not sure that has anything to do with it . The only other thing I have done recently is install Norton anti-virus software.   :'( :'(
_ _ ...  ..._ _

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 10:28:07 PM »

I am having the same problem. I did a complete un-install and re-install and the problem is the same. When the program tries to start it launches X10nets.exe and when it does my CPU usage goes to 100%. This is the first time I launched the program since the time change but not sure that has anything to do with it . The only other thing I have done recently is install Norton anti-virus software.   :'( :'(

Try deleting Norton.  95% of their software is junk. If that cures the problem, find another good anti-virus program.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

JimC

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 10:42:35 PM »

UPDATE,

I moved the module to another computer that also has AHP installed, and on that computer it is running fine. This computer is also running NORTON.

Dan, On what do you base your opinion of Norton? I am using it on four different computers and find it does a great job.
_ _ ...  ..._ _

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 12:25:51 PM »

UPDATE,

I moved the module to another computer that also has AHP installed, and on that computer it is running fine. This computer is also running NORTON.

Dan, On what do you base your opinion of Norton? I am using it on four different computers and find it does a great job.

I certainly have had horrible experiences w/ Norton, McAfee and Trend (less so Trend).  For us old f*rts who knew Peter, its hard to swallow how far his eponymous software has fallen.

My issues w/ Norton were two fold: years ago, it missed some pretty obvious infections and their licensing scheme made me feel like I was held hostage.

The new laptop we bought that shipped with it - I thought it tremendously invasive (it seemed to insert itself everywhere), difficult to remove and seemed to be a resource hog.

A few years ago - I switched a few PCs over to AVG free and Avast Home (free) and had good results.  I now run Avast on all the PCs here.

YMMV

JimC

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 02:37:53 PM »

Thanks for your input pconroy.

I have run both Mcafee and Norton and I much prefer Norton. Mcafee really caused my computer to slow down, especially during updates. Virus sotware is like most things in life people have their own preferences. As far as Norton I have not experienced any problems it runs in the background and has little effect on the operating speed of my system. I know several IT people the swear by virus software written by Symantec. I would probably not purchase it but it is provided free by my ISP and it has a nice back up feature that works great with my external hard drive.

This has really gotten of topic so lets get back to the problem posted by bruberg.

I did a complete uninstall and Reinstallation of AHP and now it starts but when I try to download updates it crashes. For now I have moved my CM15A to another computer and all is well.  >!
_ _ ...  ..._ _

AZDoug

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 02:51:55 PM »

Norton is the first thing I remove from any PC that I own.  Recently I have seen two PCs that have been bogged down to near uselessness by AV programs.  A one-year old XP machine was running Norton and the Vista Home machine was running an recent but not the latest version of AVG, that replaced a version of Norton that was on the machine when it was shipped.  I wasn't surprised in the case of the machine with Norton. 
In both cases certain system files would end up consumming the lions share of the CPU and made simple tasks prohibitively slow.  In one case, I know the fle was associated with a dial-up connection.  Both machines had dial-up internet.  When I removed the AV program as well as some other misc. cleanup, activity levels returned to a reasonable level.  Neither of these were powerhouse machines.  I was surprised to see AVG implicated because I had used that version for quite a while with no hint of a problem.   
I am currently using Avast and Windows Defender.  I don't know if they merit recommendaton, but I'm careful where I go and what I open and never have had a notable problem. 

Anytime you suspect things aren't working smoothly, open the Windows Task Manager and see what program/process is hogging the CPU.  Error messages are another matter; maybe I'd look to see what else is loaded at startup and temporarily eliminate it. 

bruberg

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 03:57:22 PM »

Thanks to all for replies and suggestions.
Still no AHP main screen but will try deleting and re-installing today.
I still have the AHP program and plug-ins in my e-mail.
Somewhere I saw the whole program was 7.9 MB's.
These attachments are only in KB's. I don't want to delete and have to buy AHP again.
please help with re-installing !!
Thanks Again.
P.S. Really got spoiled in the last three years with inside/outside lighting automated !!!

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 05:06:18 PM »

The attachments are just the setup file to download the rest of the program.   ;)
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 06:46:38 PM »

From the manual:

Step 3:

Disable or turn off your anti-virus software before you install the software as some anti-virus programs interfere with the installation.  Remember to turn on your anti-virus program when you finish these steps.

Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 08:28:00 AM »

bruberg  Since it is apparent something is interfering with the install process you may wish to try installing in Safe mode. Doing a stubborn software install this way has in the past worked well for me! ;)
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.