Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wired Floodcam Mod  (Read 35805 times)

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
Wired Floodcam Mod
« on: March 19, 2010, 07:59:38 PM »

OK, I finally got tired of the wavy pictures setting my motion-activated DVR software to record.  The weather finally broke, so I set out to add wired video to my Floodcam.  :)
I didn't want to remove the wireless transmitter, as I still want the ability to see the video on numerous TV's around the house, like when I'm expecting company...  I just wanted a solid wired feed to the 'hidden' DVR computer. 

This is how I did it:
Prep:  Remove power and "take down" Floodcam unit.
Step 1 - Open and Remove the control cover.
Step 2 - Remove the 4 screws to open the case.
Step 3 - Slide the motion sensor/camera head toward the removed screws, revealing the circuitry.
Step 4 - Locate the yellow wire coming from the video camera head. (Refer to picture)
Step 5 - Locate the ground, in the corner. (Refer to picture)
Step 6 - Solder 2 wires (I used CAT3 telephone cord) to the yellow wire and ground.
Step 7 - Insulate the 2 connections you just made.  I used liquid electrical tape.  X10 likes hot glue.
Step 8 - Reassemble!   :)%
>!

nybuck

Re: Wired Floodcam Mod
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 08:10:44 PM »

I ran CAT3 and added a RCA plug.
When I went to plug it into the computer, I realized why my video was so poor...  The receiver (that weighs about an ounce) fell off the computer, and was hanging and pointing toward the floor!  B:(

The 2 connections I made are circled in red.  I added the liquid electrical tape afterward to avoid shorting.

Perform this mod at your own risk!  It worked for me!  Good luck! 

>!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 08:24:25 PM »

I love the easy mods! +1 from me.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

nybuck

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 08:52:38 PM »

...And I forgot to add... 

BEAUTIFUL SOLID PICTURE!   ;D

I used a piece of wire approximately 2 feet long at the camera, terminated with an RJ11.  Then I used a long piece with an RJ socket on it, and ran it to the computer, and terminated those 2 wires with an RCA plug.
In the past, I have taken a phone jack and plugged my new camera cord into it, then use the wires from the jack and add an RCA jack.  I'll have to take a picture...  It is a very clean install.  I was running out of time today, but I'd suggest 'you' take the extra time for a neat install.  I try to use the Red and Black for power and the yellow and green for the video when I wire up an Xcam2...  Of course, the floodcam gets the power from the AC direct-wired, and has no audio, so only 2 wires are necessary.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 08:58:36 PM by nybuck »
>!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 09:52:46 PM »

A great mod!!! You get a helpful from me.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

nybuck

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 10:06:20 PM »

Thanks, Dave and Knightrider.

That means even more coming from the X10 Gurus!   ;D

I was surprised how easy it was, myself.  The boards are labeled clearly "VIDEO" , "GROUND", etc...  The wires are color coded the universal colors.  This unit even has a reasonable amount of space to run the wires (unlike the socket rocket - shoehorned in!)

I have a new appreciation for X10 products!  ::)
>!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 06:13:01 AM »

Mod was great.
Helpful from me also.

One thought I just had. Did the flodcam power supply have a power transformer? Reason I asked is many X10 units have a power line derived supply and the common of the board can be power line hot.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 11:25:41 AM by Brian H »

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 12:02:45 PM »

This along with my improved night vision mod should make for a great camera feed.  I will have to do this with one of my floodcams.  Helpful from me.

Dan B.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

nybuck

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 03:24:24 PM »

Brian -
There is a power transformer inside - It looks like a yellow rectangle in this picture.  Come to think of it, I did get a little tingle from the video line.  Maybe this mod isn't as safe as it looks!  No issues on my computer yet....  and a great picture!

Dan -
I was going to do the night vision mod as well, but I couldn't gather up the courage.  I did mod a regular XCam.  No problems with that mod - but it's an indoor camera.  This Floodcam sees bright sunlight at times, and was new in the box.
>!

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 03:31:59 PM »

Dan -
I was going to do the night vision mod as well, but I couldn't gather up the courage.  I did mod a regular XCam.  No problems with that mod - but it's an indoor camera.  This Floodcam sees bright sunlight at times, and was new in the box.

I have not seen any problems with the direct sunlight in the camera I have modded other than it washes out the picture a bit more.  Granted it only sees a little bit of direct sun in the morning, but I don't think it should be an issue.

Dan B.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

nybuck

Re: Wired Floodcam Mod - Update
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 09:42:05 PM »

After 2 years of use, with rock-solid picture, I revisited this camera.  Although I don't see the Floodcam on the X10 site any more, I will share my new mod:

Because there is shared AC voltage on my original design, I isolated the camera section from the floodlight section.

Basically, I cut the 12 volt wires running to the camera board and connected the +12v and Common as well as the yellow video wire to some CAT5 I had laying around.  That extended the video output and power back to the DVR, where I powered the camera with a 12 volt DC power supply.  I also removed the RF video transmitter, as I don't intend on using it any more.

The end result is a camera with a separate power supply and wired video output.   #:)

Still loving the semi-disguised design.  I should have grabbed a few when they were 2 for $49.99 or the re-conditioned floodcams free with any order a while back.   B:(
>!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.