Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WS12A and three way lighting setup  (Read 3514 times)

jeffdharlan

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
  • My home doesn't take sick days
WS12A and three way lighting setup
« on: March 25, 2010, 01:52:49 PM »

If I buy a WS12A to dim and control a light that is part of a three way setup, can I keep the existing non-x10 3 way switch in place to control the lights?  Do I have to purchase a companion x10 switch for the other switch?  If so, would another WS12A be the correct switch for a companion?  I know very little about electrical stuff so bear with me, but I at least know how to wire them up properly once I know the right switch for the right box.  :)

Edit: Nevermind, it looks like you have to buy a WS14A companion to do this.  Can anyone explain why you have to have this when my existing switch seems to work fine?  Sorry if there is an obvious answer to this!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 02:02:36 PM by jeffdharlan »
What has your home done for you today?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: WS12A and three way lighting setup
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 02:12:36 PM »

If I buy a WS12A to dim and control a light that is part of a three way setup, can I keep the existing non-x10 3 way switch in place to control the lights?  Do I have to purchase a companion x10 switch for the other switch?  If so, would another WS12A be the correct switch for a companion?  I know very little about electrical stuff so bear with me, but I at least know how to wire them up properly once I know the right switch for the right box.  :)
No you can not use a regular 3-way switch along with a WS12...well you could, but if you turn the light off at the standard switch you would not be able to turn it on at the WS12.

Neither can you use two WS12A for a 3-way circuit. You need WS12A and WS14A.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

jeepr

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 02:38:25 PM »

ah, came here to ask the same question.  I have a 3-way that one of the switches is a "fancy" Lutron colored one to match the other switches next to it in the kitchen.  I was going to put an X10 on the other switch of the 3-way, but don't want to swap the fancy one.

So, why if you turned it off with the non-x10 would the x10 not be able to turn it on?  Right now, if I turn it off with one, I can turn it on with the other?

jeffdharlan

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
  • My home doesn't take sick days
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 02:41:48 PM »

ah, came here to ask the same question.  I have a 3-way that one of the switches is a "fancy" Lutron colored one to match the other switches next to it in the kitchen.  I was going to put an X10 on the other switch of the 3-way, but don't want to swap the fancy one.

So, why if you turned it off with the non-x10 would the x10 not be able to turn it on?  Right now, if I turn it off with one, I can turn it on with the other?

My thoughts exactly.
What has your home done for you today?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 03:58:06 PM »

Look at the diagram of a 3-way circuit. When you flipped the standard 3-way switch it would completely break the circuit between the X10 switch (output) and the light. The red "traveler" wire on the X10 switch is used as an trigger input, not an output.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Mellowmark

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
  • M M Electric
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 07:04:32 AM »

The x10 switch is more like a relay than an  actual 3way switch, so the trigger is for control only. Pay close attention to the diagram when you go to this setup. It is very different than the standard 3way switch configuration.
M M ElectricMan

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.