Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ST539 Question  (Read 3033 times)

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
ST539 Question
« on: March 24, 2010, 09:45:35 AM »

I have a powermid receiver that I got with my icon.

Apparently, you can drive it with it's companion ST539 rf transmitter too.

My question is: Can the ST539 use any remote, since it is effectively an IR to RF converter?
I ask because I have an install where we can't quite reach the TV we wish to control with the supplied remote that came with the TV without close proximity. We are using the TV for projection at our church. 

I would like to position the st539 on the mixing board and put the powermid receiver on the stage so we can manipulate the tv's input source from the mixing station which is just out of ir reach. But I'd rather not replace our remote.

Thanks in advance.

:Ron
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: ST539 Question
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 11:42:38 AM »

I would like to position the st539 on the mixing board and put the powermid receiver on the stage so we can manipulate the tv's input source from the mixing station which is just out of ir reach. But I'd rather not replace our remote.

Should work. I don't know the actual RF range of these devices... but the IR blast they project is pretty impressive. I use (another brand but same device) in my Home Theater so I can point the remote at the screen (which feels natural) yet control equipment in the rear of the theater.

I also control a couple TV's using BVC and a USB-UIRT projecting to the sending unit. With receiving units... at different places.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

bitman

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 12:57:57 PM »

Dave,

Does your IR extender work with any old remote that you have tried? And what IR extender do you use?

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 06:30:49 PM »

Does your IR extender work with any old remote that you have tried? And what IR extender do you use?

I meant to mention that. Yes.. it works well with every remote I've tried.

bitman

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 06:45:30 PM »

What brand is it pretty please?

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 07:35:31 PM »

What brand is it pretty please?

The remotes? The remotes.. and/or devices I've controlled through the IR extenders are Sanyo, Phillips, X10s Icon, GE, LG, Samsung and Kenwood.

I should also mention I use 3 different brands of IR extenders... although they all communicate well with each other. I use X10's (of course) Jensen, and Phillips.

bitman

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 09:47:47 PM »

Sorry I meant your extenders they look pretty cool and non-descript. Pyramids won't be too popular on a church stage.

Thanks for the foot work and help.  >!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 09:54:25 PM by bitman »

bitman

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 03:02:30 PM »

By the way everyone.

You all 'prolly knew this but I just bought a pair of Buffalo Electronics Stick-On IR Emitters at smarthome.com
that are supposed to be transparent to ir and therefore one can still use a remote close in and pointed at the tv like usual while being able to use an ir blaster too.

http://www.smarthome.com/8170/Mini-Stick-On-Infrared-IR-Emitter-Bugs-Blasters/p.aspx

I didn't know one could do that. I downloaded an ir repeater schematic and was almost going to build two of them when by the grace of God I found these transparent ones.

- Better work. That would be so cool in our application.
A church where not everyone will be hip to the fact that you need to go find a powermid to point at.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.