Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Swann cameras/equipment  (Read 42929 times)

STI2NR

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
    • Security cams online!!
Swann cameras/equipment
« on: March 27, 2010, 12:39:13 AM »

Anyone had any experience with Swann equipment??  It appears they may have some intercompatibility with x10 (receivers, similar cameras).   

Ebay is littered with the stuff.

Licensed Inside Commercial Electrician in Oregon and Washington --USMC veteran 1993-2001--3 time marathon completer 2008 (4:12) 2009 (PDX 3:44, Seattle 3:32)

birdzeye

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Re: Swann cameras/equipment
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 11:28:15 PM »

Anyone had any experience with Swann equipment?? 

I have tried the wired IR outdoor Swann cameras from Canadian Tire, and they're pretty good. Work well plugged into x10 appliance modules to turn them on and off.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 12:07:40 PM »

It appears they may have some intercompatibility with x10 (receivers, similar cameras).   

Many of the wireless cameras use the 2.4 ghz... as does the X10 cameras. However there is a lot of bandwith on 2.4. There is no guarantee that another brand of 2.4 ghz camera will be compatable with X10. However if the camera has the standard 4 switchable channels... there is a decent chance (but still a gamble) that one of the channels will be compatable with X10 video. The odds of the audio and video on that channel being the same... isn't so great.

If you don't need audio... and the price is cheap enough to take a chance.. why not. Also... with just a little effort you can mix and match your cameras using other brands with the X10. I have always liked having a big honking, shiny, IR camera in a area where the bad guys can spot it. Then I have the much smaller and easier to hide X10 cameras that collect closer video.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 12:48:45 PM »

You can find the authorized frequency of them if you have the FCC ID number.
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm

X10s Grantee Code is B4S. A search with out the Product Code will find all of them or you can narrow the search if you have the whole number.
The Swann should have an FCC number if sold in the US.

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 01:18:48 PM »

According to http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=10465.msg59909#msg59909 the X10 camera frequencies are:

•A-2.411 GHZ
•B-2.434
•C-2.453
•D-2.473

I checked the [few] Ebay ads I have seen that list the frequencies.  Often only ONE is common with the above, meaning, in one instance for example, that non-x10 camera on channel 'C' would work with an X10 receiver on 'C'.

At the time, I wasn't looking for SWANN specifically.  I think it was more of the "hidden-in-a-clock" type.  I never actually bought it, but I was surprised that the 4 frequencies used on X10 2.4 GHz cameras were different than the Brand X 4-channel 2.4 GHz camera.

This post: http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=13806.0
seems to say that all 4 frequencies for SWANN are the same...  ???
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 01:20:48 PM by nybuck »
>!

birdzeye

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 09:04:18 AM »

Swann works with x10 very well! And there's absolutely no interference with the wired ones! ;)

cyan

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 11:11:24 PM »

Some of the Swann cameras I saw look like miniature 35mm cameras. Picture quality is better or worse than X10?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 02:58:08 PM by cyan »

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 08:26:24 AM »

..... Picture quality is better or worse than X10?

I think about all those CMOS Cameras produce about the same image quality. And... in most cases.. thats plenty good enough as well.

cyan

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 04:20:14 PM »

..... Picture quality is better or worse than X10?

I think about all those CMOS Cameras produce about the same image quality. And... in most cases.. thats plenty good enough as well.
Thank you for sharing that CCD v CMOS link. I suppose I'm needing a CCD for this application http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=20566.0  Does X10 have any CCD cameras?

ADDM: How about putting a remote control or robot brain [and eye] on this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LduYhx5lDY&feature=player_embedded
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 04:37:53 PM by cyan »

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 05:20:18 PM »

Thank you for sharing that CCD v CMOS link. I suppose I'm needing a CCD for this application http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=20566.0  Does X10 have any CCD cameras?

I think you'd be completely impressed with X10's Vanguard. If you really think you need that level of camera security.

ADDM: How about putting a remote control or robot brain [and eye] on this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LduYhx5lDY&feature=player_embedded

My robot wasn't smart... (although I had thought of adding a chip for a little programmed decision making). The concept was I could (not only) place a camera anywhere around the house where I thought I might want one. I could move the camera from my living room. Or use the robot to look around. Like checking the rain water flow at the gutters during a storm.

birdzeye

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 03:15:57 PM »

Some of the Swann cameras I saw look like miniature 35mm cameras. Picture quality is better or worse than X10?

Picture quality is better than x10 for sure, but x10 has a better returns policy if something goes wrong with it. Also, if you get the Swann with infrared for night vision, it really works well and illuminates quite far, like 20-30 feet at least, and you won't need an additional floodlight.

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 05:30:12 PM »

Also, if you get the Swann with infrared for night vision, it really works well and illuminates quite far, like 20-30 feet at least, and you won't need an additional floodlight.

That IS one area where X10 is lacking...  IR cameras...  -:)

You wouldn't think it would be a far stretch for them, but so far no dice.   :(
>!

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 07:25:53 PM »

That IS one area where X10 is lacking...  IR cameras... 

I use both X10 and IR cameras... although I am also a BIG PROPONENT of regular (non-IR cameras) as well.

I like having one big, honking, chunky, IR camera (I have mine on a Ninja) so any would be intruders... should be able to see I have cameras. Cameras are just as good as a deterrent as the alarm sign and stickers and the several floodlights I have. The big IR camera even glows pinkish at night.

But then since I do have all the extra floodlights... I really have no need for IR cameras. And whereas it is really nice to have a camera that can be easily spotted... the tiny little tough-as-nails X10 cameras are pretty easy to hide. And since just looking away from the camera... can completely defeat its usefulness.... little hard-to-spot cameras are really important too. Plus.. the little X10 cams can look out a window from the inside. You can't do that easily with an IR cam.

X10 was the first to introduce little affordable home security cameras. Unfortunately... IMHO.. they seem dead set on just riding on the success obtained with these cameras. It would be so easy to produce an IR version of the camera(s). Or even just make a plastic bubble housing.. to convert the standard camera into a tamper-proof dome camera.

The Vanguard and Sentinel cameras are world class top-of-the-line. And worth every penny they ask for them. But it would be nice to have something between the good for less than 20 feet (X10 cam) and the Vanguard quality... that you can use to read the date on a coin at 20 feet.

By the way... I've mentioned using birdhouses for hiding (and moving around) the X10 cams for years. I collected the attached image... just today.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 08:12:17 PM »

Poor bird.

Remember:

It's not wise to fool with mother nature.

rofl
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 05:14:58 PM »

Poor bird.

The bird found a home! It was because of my error... that the bird was able to squeeze in by the camera. This fall after the nest is empty.. I will remove and relocate the camera. The birdhouse will remain in the same location so the bird can have it's "summer place" back.We have several birdhouses so I can easily find a new place for the camera.

But I am also thinking of adding another over-sized IR camera. The prices seem to keep dropping on these cameras as the trend seems to be towards IP cameras.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.