Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: melted socket rocket  (Read 7661 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: melted socket rocket
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 01:21:19 PM »

I've got CFL's installed in ceiling fixtures and lamps inverted, sideways and straight up and I've never before heard any cautions for their use.

Yeah I know... I use the CFL's myself! I read about the hazard here: http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=13559.msg75435#msg75435  It links to this story as well.

I am a BIG fan of conserving electric... for the purpose of reducing my cost. I use a mixture of incandescent, CFL, fluorescence, and LED. When at one point I received some minor grief about my automation (and a HA PC running 24/7). I was quick to point out that our electric usage should be compared to our friends and neighbors. WAF went way up after finding out that automation and conservation go hand-in-hand.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 01:34:10 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Mel99

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 01:58:18 PM »

Yeah I know... I use the CFL's myself! I read about the hazard here: http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=13559.msg75435#msg75435  It links to this story as well.

Thanks for the links.

I found the following somewhere on Wikipedia some time ago -
Incandescent lights produce about 12 lumens of light per watt with much of the power producing heat.  LED and halogen lights produce about 40 lumens per watt.  Some fluorescent lights produce up to 60 lumens per watt.

When I take a rough average of Jeff's incandescent watt/lumen numbers, I get about 13.6w/lumen.  That's not far off of the above numbers.

Mel

HA Dave

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 02:09:53 PM »

I found the following somewhere on Wikipedia some time ago -  Incandescent lights produce about 12 lumens of light per watt with much of the power producing heat. ............ When I take a rough average of Jeff's incandescent watt/lumen numbers, I get about 13.6w/lumen.  That's not far off of the above numbers.

I even remember where and when I heard/learned (?) what I thought I knew. I am sure I must have misunderstood... but I still trust the source. I have always followed that/those lighting guides... and hence I have used multiple lower wattage lamps.

kk

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 02:30:34 PM »

Well, as much as I wish the 60W-equivalent CFLs put out as much light as a 60W incandescent, they don't, but the energy savings factor is more important for me.  I've tried using CFLs in the kitchen, though, and they just don't put out enough light (with the globe on).  I could probably try to find a clear globe.  I've never heard of an overhead fixture not allowing over 60W bulbs.  Maybe I need to check into that.

Also, I thought the socket rockets weren't supposed to work with the CFLs, but I used one for several years and it was fine.  The problem I've had was trying to use a CFL in the porch light with the X10 wall switch.  That won't work for me, or at least the ones I tried wanted to blink.

I can also agree that the CFLs aren't nearly as hot as incandescents for me.  I really don't think you could bake in the Easy Bake Oven with a CFL.  :)

Mel99

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 04:05:49 PM »

The problem I've had was trying to use a CFL in the porch light with the X10 wall switch.  That won't work for me, or at least the ones I tried wanted to blink.

I've used CFL's as porch, front and back, lights with XPS3 switches for a few years with no blinking problems that I've seen.  The only problem I've had with CFL's and a XPS3 switch are the outside garage door lights.  But they are 65-70' from the breaker panel and my CM15A is 35-40' from the panel.  They will turn on/off for weeks then miss a cycle and then they're ok for a few more weeks.

Mel

HA Dave

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 07:15:01 PM »

.... Also, I thought the socket rockets weren't supposed to work with the CFLs, but I used one for several years and it was fine. 

Right. The SocketRocket aren't recommended for CFL's.... and many of us use them with CFL's.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 07:41:03 PM »

It is a CYA from X10.
Probably most CFLs are fine in a Socket Rocket, but if one model gets cranky or destructive. X10s Lawyers can say "We told you Incadescent Loads only".
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.