Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What should I buy for 2nd Home Automation?  (Read 2445 times)

RandyP1234

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
What should I buy for 2nd Home Automation?
« on: March 28, 2010, 06:20:55 PM »

We just bought a second home that will be vacant most of the time.  We would like to control 7 sprinkler valves, a main water valve, and at least two security cameras via our PC at our primary residence and via the web when away.    We would also like to have at least one other secuity feature (front door alarm or inside motion detector) that will generate a call to my cell phone, if activated.    We have not yet installed cable, DSL, or a standard phone line and we do not have a PC in our second home.   We would lilke to keep our initial costs down, but eventually expand to control lights, a spa, etc.  And, we would eventually, like to control everything from an iPhone.

It appears that the SmartLinc - INSTEON Central Controller with a EZFlora INSTEON/X10 Sprinkler Controller might be the way to go.   I assume that I will have to buy two 24V transformers and a 110V off/on plug in controller (ApplianceLinc - INSTEON Plug-in Appliance On/Off Module, 3-Pin).   The first transformer will be for the sprinkler controller, the second transformer will team up with the on/off module to control the main water valve.   

Does this sound right?  Is there a better way to go?

What about the security cameras?  They will be mounted outside.  Any suggestions?  Do they work through the SmartLinc - INSTEON Central Controller? 

Do I need a software package also?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: What should I buy for 2nd Home Automation?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 06:31:01 PM »

I believe valve 8 output on the EZFlora can be set to be a master valve control and goes on when any of the 1-7 valves go on.
You can get more data on it in the Simplehomenets web site and forums.
http://www.simplehomenet.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9357341775

WGL makes an X10 compatible Sprinkler Controller. Rain8
http://www.wgldesigns.com/rain8.html

You may get more precise answeres in the Smarthome forums as Insteon is their protocol.
http://www.smarthome.com/forum/default.asp
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 06:36:21 PM by Brian H »

RandyP1234

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: What should I buy for 2nd Home Automation?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 07:35:50 PM »

Thanks Brian,

Does the Rain8 also have main valve feature?  Is either of these two sprinkler controllers better for use with the SmartLinc - INSTEON Central Controller?  Is one more reliable than the other?  The Rain8 said that it would shut off the valve automatically if it failed to receive an off command.  Does this happen very often with either of these two sprinkler controllers?

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.