Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fluorescent compatible wall switch  (Read 11909 times)

Msradell

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Fluorescent compatible wall switch
« on: April 03, 2010, 10:00:42 PM »

They have already modified the appliance module to work with compact fluorescents, now they need a conventional style wall switch.  Compact fluorescents are becoming the norm in many places and are hard to control in locations controlled by switches.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 03:34:35 PM by Msradell »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Fluorescent compatible wall switch
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 10:01:57 AM »

It would have to be a three wire including Neutral type switch. As the two wire dimming switches steal power through the load.
X10Pro makes a decorator type paddle switch. XPS3 that does not dim but has a relay in it. The XPDI3 can dim but I don't think most fluorescent fixtures can dim.

The WS13A is the X10 version of the XPS3.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 06:07:33 AM by Brian H »

glacier991

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 02:01:03 AM »

The X1- Pro XPS3 switch does exactly what you ask. The only downside is that the relay in it is noisy and there is an audible "snap" when it turns on and off, like an appliance module.

Msradell

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 03:34:04 PM »

The X1- Pro XPS3 switch does exactly what you ask. The only downside is that the relay in it is noisy and there is an audible "snap" when it turns on and off, like an appliance module.
That's the same as the conventional X-10 line has, it does what I want but it is Decora style (wide switch) and what I'm looking for is a conventional style switch to match the others in my home.  The click of the relay doesn't bother me at all as long as it works with CFL's.  I know that Smarthome has a Switchlink that will do what I'm looking for but they are about $45 each.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 03:37:13 PM by Msradell »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 03:40:28 PM »

The SwitchLinc Relay is a decorator style. The ToggleLinc Relay is the more conventional style.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 04:03:35 PM by Brian H »

wingbyte

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 04:07:53 PM »

They have already modified the appliance module to work with compact fluorescents, now they need a conventional style wall switch.  Compact fluorescents are becoming the norm in many places and are hard to control in locations controlled by switches.

I totally agree!  X10 should make a conventional looking wall switch that will control compact fluorescent bulbs.  And what's up with the stupid push button switches?  Can't some clever engineer come up with a design that just uses a standard up/down switch instead of a push button?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 08:55:54 PM »

Conventional toggle X10 wall switch for incandescent or flourescent has been a Wish List item for years. I don't think X10 is listening. It is funny, the very first X10 wall switches were toggle. However they had a fatal flaw that killed them. When you turned the light out locally with the toggle, the light could not be turned back on remotely.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Msradell

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 10:17:54 PM »

I wouldn't even mind that same with the existing style as long as they were capable of switching fluorescent lights.  I just don't like the Decora style.  Actually the toggle switch could be very easily redesigned so that flipping it in the opposite direction changed its state from whatever state it was presently in.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.