Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: USB firecracker!  (Read 9811 times)

Msradell

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
USB firecracker!
« on: April 11, 2010, 11:13:40 AM »

When are they going to introduce a Firecracker that has a USB interface instead of serial?  No new computers have serial interfaces and older ones with it are rapidly being phased out.  It certainly shouldn't be any harder to manufacture and would make it easier to use thus increasing sales!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: USB firecracker!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 11:43:24 AM »

Uh?  Maybe call it a CM19A?
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 12:09:33 PM »

Five to ten bucks on eBay too for a CM19a

Msradell

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 01:08:37 PM »

The CM19A serves the functionality but it's bulky to attach to a laptop.  The firecracker is small and attaches directly, much easier to use and carry around.  I'm envisioning something like a Bluetooth or WiFi dongle.

I also like the software for the firecracker.  By using the desktop Palmpad it's very easy to control system functions.  I use an Ocelot control system and use macros sent from Palmpads to start various macros, I would love to have the same ability on my laptop.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 01:14:36 PM by Msradell »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 01:43:43 PM »

.....  I'm envisioning something like a Bluetooth or WiFi dongle.

With current technology.... I don't see why the firecracker couldn't be made in dongle form. But the firecracker itself.... is limited in use. I am not sure there is a huge market for the firecracker. I have both the old serial and the new USB.... but I don't use ether one.

I do use a Home Automation computer which is admittedly attached/bound to a CM15A. I guess I could use the AHP software and only send and receive RF signals (with a firecracker).... but I would lose the detection of the PLC signals.

You could use a Home Automation PC connected to a CM15a... then connect to that PC with something like logmein. That would give you the total wireless freedom you'd like. Yet still the total Home Automation control everyone wants.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Msradell

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 02:07:33 PM »

Dave, all of your solutions require a committed computer to be on all the time which is something I think is undesirable.  Not having a computer on all the time is one of the reasons I chose the Ocelot as my home control platform.

I don't see why you don't think there will be much market for a "USB firecracker", I'm sure many people who would like to have a small portable device they could attach to their computer to control X10.  Basically because of receiver considerations you would be limited to 32 readily usable outputs (16 on & 16 off) but if those were used to activate macros it could provide an awful lot of functionality in a very small package.  Ideally it would have a new desktop screen that would allow you to access all 32 on one screen.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 04:03:47 PM »

Dave, all of your solutions require a committed computer to be on all the time which is something I think is undesirable.  Not having a computer on all the time is one of the reasons I chose the Ocelot as my home control platform.

I don't see why you don't think there will be much market for a "USB firecracker.....

You could very well be correct! I have no actual data as how many people use what methods to control what... or how much. I think MOST X10 users... merely control a light or two... maybe in combination with security.

There is certainly nothing wrong with Ocelot (or X10's CM15A for that matter). As for me.... I really depend on the processing power of a computer... and rarely use a remote control at all. Without the computer.... my setup wouldn't even recognize my voice.

I wonder if a CM19A could be modified into a dongle... of sorts.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.