Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to arm the security console  (Read 28729 times)

TerranJerry

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
How to arm the security console
« on: April 11, 2010, 09:57:58 PM »

I only have the CM15A and AHP plus some DS10A modules.  I defined macros and found that despite the DS10A modules changing state properly as indicated at AHP, the macros are not being triggered.  I assume this is because the security console is not armed as indicated by the "Security Arm Status" lock symbol at the bottom of the AHP screen (currently shows unlocked).  So I need some way to arm it but I don't see any menu options or buttons to push in AHP that would accomplish this.  (Please don't tell me there is no way to do this in AHP alone!)

How do I resolve this?

Thanks for any tips/help you can offer!

Jerry

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
Re: How to arm the security console
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 11:04:56 PM »

I'm not an AHP user, but I hear people mention a plugin called "OnAlert" all the time...

TerranJerry

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 12:38:58 AM »

Thanks for the reply but I have On-Alert.  It is simply a plug-in to AHP.  As I understand it, this software allows the security features to work but I don't see any means to activate the console as shown in AHP.  I am hoping I don't need to buy a piece of hardware to carry out this feature.  It seems like AHP should support this with the DS10A modules I have but perhaps I am mistaken about that.  I am hopeful someone can answer this for me.

Thanks,

Jerry

TerranJerry

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 02:54:35 PM »

I should probably restate this after reading a bit more about this issue from others.

I do not have a security console of any type.  I do not have a remote control of any type.  I only have AHP with the On-Alert option and a bunch of DS10A door/window switch sensors.
They work fine with AHP and I can see them open and close.  However, my macros associated with the DS10A's do not trigger.  I attribute this to the fact that my AHP still shows the "security console" as inactive.  That is probably because I don't have one.

However, I was under the impression that you could somehow do a macro or timer work-around to enable the security option in AHP (even without a console).
If you know how to do that, please write back to me and tell me how to arm AHP so that it will process the macros associated with the DS10A's.

thanks in advance very much,
Jerry

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 05:30:51 PM »

I don't own a CM15a (They can receive security sensor signals?), but after searching the forum with keywords "DS10 and CM15A" there are lots of range issues...

I think there are antenna hacks for the CM15A to improve its reception.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 05:34:56 PM by pomprocker »

TerranJerry

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 07:55:27 PM »

The CM15A is just the wireless USB interface that allows the computer to talk to both wireless and wired devices.

So, I have it plus the AHP software and a bunch of DS10A door/window sensors.

I am just trying to figure out how to trigger a macro using those sensors.  Since my software came with On-Alert, I figured I should use that.
However, if it requires the purchase of additional hardware (which I don't know) then I'm looking for some other solution.

I just figured you could arm the security portion of the software from inside AHP but perhaps that is not possible.  That's why I am asking - to try to find that out.

If there is some other (non On-Alert) way to trigger a macro with the DS10A, then I'm up for that too.

Jerry

davideinmd

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 11:13:17 PM »

AHP is able to recieve signals from DS10's that are in range of the CM15. First you have to add the security modules. After that you can create macros to act on the modules by clicking the 'Use Security' button at the top of the Macro Designer screen. This will result in a drop-down box listing the security modules you have installed into AHP and the type of trigger you are after. The thing about this is that DS10's send a signal every hour as a 'check-in'.
That's my 2 cents till someone who knows more can chime in. Hope it helps.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 11:53:50 PM »

The CM15A is just the wireless USB interface that allows the computer to talk to both wireless and wired devices. So, I have it plus the AHP software and a bunch of DS10A door/window sensors.
I am just trying to figure out how to trigger a macro using those sensors.  Since my software came with On-Alert, I figured I should use that. However, if it requires the purchase of additional hardware (which I don't know) then I'm looking for some other solution.

Did you software suite come with smart macros? You will need that to construct your macros.... in the macro select the security devices (DS10A).
Home Automation is an always changing technology

TerranJerry

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 12:36:22 AM »

Thanks for the replies guys.  Yes, my AHP software came with all the plug-ins including Smart Macros.

I can install the DS10A as you suggested and enable it for a security console (check the box) but I really do not have a physical security console (like the DS7000 or similar) so I am not sure how to ARM the AHP program to actually run the macros when the DS10A changes state.

If you notice, on the bottom left side of AHP 3.236 status line (line at the bottom of the screen),  there is an icon which in my case is an unlocked lock and it says (if you hover the cursor over it a moment or two) Security Arm Status.  My understanding from the things I have read is that the icon I am seeing (the unlocked lock) means that the security system is not armed.  So, according to that same information, my macros will not run even though I can see the DS10A changing state back and forth in AHP.  Somehow I have to ARM the security system.  However, I don't have an actual security console nor a remote control so I'm not sure how to do this.  It seems to me the AHP software should just have an option to do that but I don't seem to find one.

So the question is this - if I add a DS10A, I add a macro for it, and all I have to work with is the DS10A, the CM15A and the AHP software, how do I arm the system so I can then see it run macros in response to changes in the status of the DS10A?

Jerry

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 10:13:30 AM »

......... So the question is this - if I add a DS10A, I add a macro for it, and all I have to work with is the DS10A, the CM15A and the AHP software, how do I arm the system so I can then see it run macros in response to changes in the status of the DS10A?

I can't tell how to do what you want to do.... because I am not sure what your trying to accomplish.

Are you trying to use AHP to be a windows based security alarm?

Or do you just want to use the DS10A (and/or MS10A) to trigger macros? The DS10A works fine as a trigger... or to turn on/off a fake module... which can then act as a trigger. There is no need to "arm" anything... to use the DS10A in macros. I've even used the DS10A to automate a chair (seen in this YouTube Video).... and other such uses.

TerranJerry

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 10:47:27 AM »

Hi there and thanks for the reply.

I guess I'm having trouble explaining so let me give it another go and see if this makes sense...

I want to use the DS10A to attach to my sump pump water alarm.  When the sump pump alarm goes off, I will have it activate the DS10A.  The DS10A should then trigger a macro that sends me an email and lets me know the sump pump water alarm is activated.

Ok, so whether I try configuring the DS10A as a "security" device or not, I don't seem to be able to get the macros to operate.  If I create the macro to send me an email and then activate the macro manually in AHP, the macro will send the email to me.  However, even though the macro uses my DS10A as a condition to trigger it, it never triggers when I see the DS10A change states.

When the DS10A is configured as a security device I attributed the inability to activate the macro to the fact that the security console is not armed and apparently there is no way for me to do this with just On-Alert.  However it seems like I should be able to configure the DS10A as a non-security device (perhaps as you have done) and get it to run the macro when the DS10A changes state.  I just haven't been able to get that to work yet.

So, whether I try this with the DS10A configured as a security device or otherwise, it never seems to activate the macro.

Does that make more sense?

Jerry

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 11:43:25 AM »

FWIW

You can also use a "Powerflash" module (it needs to plug in to outlet) or a "hacked" xxxxEye motion sensor to monitor the sump pump.  Either would get around the DS10 / OnAlert security issue. 
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 04:31:38 PM »

Ok, so whether I try configuring the DS10A as a "security" device or not, I don't seem to be able to get the macros to operate.  If I create the macro to send me an email and then activate the macro manually in AHP, the macro will send the email to me.  However, even though the macro uses my DS10A as a condition to trigger it, it never triggers when I see the DS10A change states.
When the DS10A is configured as a security device I attributed the inability to activate the macro to the fact that the security console is not armed and apparently there is no way for me to do this with just On-Alert.  However it seems like I should be able to configure the DS10A as a non-security device (perhaps as you have done) and get it to run the macro when the DS10A changes state.  I just haven't been able to get that to work yet. So, whether I try this with the DS10A configured as a security device or otherwise, it never seems to activate the macro.
Does that make more sense?

Yep. I makes really good sense now. Your problem is with your macro(s). A "condition" in a macro... is the required state of a module for a macro to continue... it isn't the trigger. I don't know if your setup actually requires a condition. You might want to read through that little pamphlet of an instruction booklet that came with the CM15A. Some the posts here by other X10 users might be helpful as well.

But here is how I would try it.
  • Create a room named sump pump
  • In that room create a DS10A (install it) and name it "sump alarm DS10A" assign the DS10A House/Unit address B1
  • Create a Marco, select to use security modules (DS10A) USE THE SENSOR ABOVE
  • When triggered (use advanced setting) to send an email

HA Dave

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 10:07:57 AM »

Also... after sleeping on the previous post... I do believe (although not a direct answer to your question) dave w does have a good point.

You can also use a "Powerflash" module (it needs to plug in to outlet) or a "hacked" xxxxEye motion sensor to monitor the sump pump.  Either would get around the DS10 / OnAlert security issue. 

TerranJerry

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 04:12:06 PM »

Ok, thanks guys.   I really appreciate your advise and guidance.  I apologize if I'm asking a newbie question or attempting to progress without having read the manual and I fully admit I've not had the time yet to really dive into it but they represent their system as simple to set up and it would seem so at the start but perhaps some of the nuances require you to spend more time with the user's manual - in which case I'm probably guilty.  Thus far though I'd have to say I've found no answer to the whole "how does the security system work and how do you arm it without a security console" type of question but I'll spend some time now on trying to explore a non-security-console solution and see how that works out for me.

Thanks for your patience and assistance.   This is a good community of users here even if X10's support in the forum is not as it should be.   Seems like in many areas they do a good job but not quite as well here. 

Thanks again,

Jerry
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.