Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Earthquakes  (Read 14954 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Earthquakes
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2010, 11:38:07 AM »

........ why not put a couple of these on some self contained battery lights for safety's sake.  Keep the HA system too, just make it a little redundant.

Just a thought.

I like that thought! I have often thought of an emergency light in the theater (basement) in case of a tornado caused power outage.

Whereas the emergency light approach may look OK as a theater item it may not be pleasing enough to look at in the living areas. Those power failure backup flashlights (I have one) are OK. I also keep a big [LED] maglight under the head of my bed... as well as a solar charged light on the window sill. I also like the smaller LED flashlights... that use the same battery's as the remote controls (it guarantees a battery supply).

I know this "Emergency Stuff" doesn't seem to have much to do with Home Automation. But Without a well thought out plan that includes power outages... no matter how cool your automation can seem..... much of the convenience... can come to an abrupt halt when the power goes out.

We lost our electric for eight days due to a storm last year. Even with my portable generator, propane grill, camp stove, and battery powered devices.... it was a major inconvenience.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 11:48:08 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2010, 08:37:18 PM »

That is an excellent modification for a very useful purpose. Thanks for sharing this.

I created a link in the User Modified Devices section to your post.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2010, 11:53:33 PM »

I created a link in the User Modified Devices section to your post.

Thanks Puck. Since you linked to my post (of a link to my YouTube video) I beefed-up my description and added directions at my original post. I even added a couple pictures.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 11:57:12 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 12:08:21 AM »

Interesting, but where I live (Baltimore, Maryland) we don't get serious earthquakes.  There's a very deep fault line in northern Maryland/lower Pennsylvania that causes light tremors about every 15-20 years, only rattles the dishware.

Do you have a point, or is this another of your "It doesn't matter because I don't use it or need it." posts?    >*<

As Dave_x0_L said, it probably won't be very useful to him either, and yet he went out of his way to design, build and share!   8)

I posted it (the YouTube video) was interesting because it would be useful for those in earthquake zones, which, as I posted, is not useful in a very low possible zone like Baltimore.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your intent.  But, the way you phrased it really read (to me, at least) like you were saying; "Yeah, great, but what use is it since I don't need one?"

Glad to hear that's not the way you meant it!   8)

>!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.