Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Unbelievable Signal Sucker  (Read 2828 times)

Dave4720

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
Unbelievable Signal Sucker
« on: April 21, 2010, 10:21:25 AM »

Ok, I got my Volpmeter (awesome), and I’m checking all around my house.  I find a point that with this device plugged in I get ~4.5V signal and .07 noise.  That’s somewhat lower signal than other outlets.  I remove that device and I get ~8V signal and .10 noise. (Yeah, I got a XTB-IIR).

Ok, I found a signal sucker.  I get a little less noise when plugged-in (good), but nearly 1/2 the signal (bad).

But wait a minute … the device is a X10 Powerflash Module - WTF!?

I use this module to sense a DC level and send a X10 when the DC is present.  I tried a second module, and removed the DC input in case there was some weird feed-thru.  Same results.

Why would an X10 module act like a signal sucker on its own network?  I can’t isolate the Powerflash Module with a filter because I need the X10 signal from the module to get through to the AC line.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 11:51:03 AM by Dave4720 »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Unbelievable Signal Sucker
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 11:49:02 AM »

Yes, any X10 module which acts as a transmitter presents a lower impedance on the line than the receive only modules, so some attenuation is normal. I always wondered what X10 would have done if their 2-way modules had really taken off and sold huge numbers. X10 would have had to include a free repeater with every 10, two-way modules ordered.  ;D
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 12:35:45 PM »

Yes, any X10 module which acts as a transmitter presents a lower impedance on the line than the receive only modules.....

I don't know tech stuff (quote: Kyle Reese).... but I was under the impression that all X10 modules and switches all absorb PLC signals.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 12:50:26 PM »

I don't know tech stuff (quote: Kyle Reese).... but I was under the impression that all X10 modules and switches all absorb PLC signals.
Yup, you are right they do. Even the receivers present a load to PLC on the line, but anything that transmits PLC will do it even more.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 02:30:17 PM »

Is this the Daves thread? aww I just killed it..

rofl

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 03:47:38 PM »

Yes any module can absorb some signals. The two way ones as mentioned are worse then the receive only ones.

I found a few nasty ones myself with the XTBM and my XTB-IIR.
One was a Smarthome 2001SHL X10 compatible module. That has only a receiver in it and does not transmit. Seem they went cheap on the receiver and bypassed the tuned transformer used to get the signal into the controller. They used a broadly tuned coil and capacitor to directly get the signal into the controller and it has limiting diodes on it.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.