Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Helpful hints  (Read 7507 times)

everydayflyer

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
Helpful hints
« on: April 21, 2010, 09:50:09 PM »

X 10 Helpful Hints

DS10A Door/Window Sensors

Preventing being assigned to a new zone.

The Test button is really a random code generator to code it to the Console. Each time it is pushed it generates a new code
and thus moves to another Zone.  To prevent having it move to a new zone if the batteries are very low or if it takes more than
30 seconds to replace them then leave them out until the appropriate zone indicator on the console starts flashing then install
the new batteries. Note this can take 4 to 5 hours.
Once new batteries are installed then press the test (?) with the consol in Install mode to re register the sensor to the same zone.

Update 425-2010

I have now determined that the DS10A ,Door Window Sensors can have their batteries removed for an hour (with the contacts open) and not need reinstalling. Just install the batteries and they are good to go.

Swapping Door Sensors to different Zones without re installing or adding more Zones. 

By removing the batteries for 5 hours I was able to install another Door /Window Sensor to the same Zone as a prior one.  I removed batteries from Sensor on Zone 9 for 5 hours and then installed a new Senor to the same Zone 9 without any issues.

Currently I have the batteries out of Zone 9 and 10 Sensors and will re install them with positions(Zones) swapped later today. IMO this is a much simpler means to reassign Sensors to different Zones than clearing the Console and starting all over.

What happens during / after an Alarm.

The Auto Dial dials for 4 minutes or until it is answered. If the Sensor which triggered the alarm is still open the rest of the
system is still armed.  If the open sensor is left open of course it no longer works but the others do. If the open sensor is
closed then it becomes active (armed) again. If multi sensors are triggered then only the last one shows up on the console as
in if  first one is triggered ,the alarm times out and then another one is triggered.

Extending Range.

Placing a 18-1/2": length of wire such as from a metal clothes hanger against the left side of the case will help. Some report
 up to a 300% range increase. I have not tested the extent of the range increase but it did turn a very marginal sensor into a
 solid working one.

Batteries

Not that I am all that much Green conscious but I am thrifty. While I have limited real time useage in this system at present
 I do have extended experience and first hand testing experience of Sanyo Eneloop AAs and AAAs along with numerous other rechargeable batteries.. My testing shows them to be very practical. I am treasonable sure they will last 6 months or longer on a single charge and they are good for 500 to 1,000 chargers or a lifetime for some of us. Truth is that after a number of years I will
 recycle them down to less mission critical applications.

For the DIY ones if you want full RF power from the Sensors and extremely long service life between charges consider using LiFePO4 cells. These are nominal 3.3 volts and the ones from A123 Systems have been proven to be extremely reliable and long lived.
Direct link to A123 LiFePO4 test:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14916113&postcount=1

Post with my battery test data ,on going.

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=20224.msg114130#msg114130

Motion Sensors
Eagle Eye MS14A
Battery replacement caution.

Unless left set to default of Unit Code 1 I find that I must reset the unit code anytime I replace the batteries. At first I could not understand why they worked fine indoors after setting them and then stopped working as soon as I mounted them outdoors. My guess is the same applies to the House Code but mine are still on A (Default).

Compatibility of Transceivers and Sensors

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=20271.msg114476#msg114476
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 08:29:56 AM by everydayflyer »

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
Re: Helpful hints
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 11:34:10 PM »

open the door/window connected to the ds10a while changing the battery and it keeps the same code

everydayflyer

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 01:22:43 PM »

Care to expand on that? 

Are you saying that as long as the switch is open you can take all the time you want to replace the batteries?

If you take several minutes to replace them do you have to set the console to Install and preess the Test switch on the DS10A?

Most of the X-10 instructions are about as clear as mud. How / way can be figured out by trial and error but it takes days or weeks not just a few hours.

Also is there a similiar trick to be used with thePMS01  motion sensor during battery replacement?

Charles
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 01:28:27 PM by everydayflyer »

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 01:32:19 PM »

Care to expand on that? 
Are you saying that as long as the switch is open you can take all the time you want to replace the batteries?
If you take several minutes to replace them do you have to set the console to Install and preess the Test switch on the DS10A?
Most of the X-10 instructions are about as clear as mud. How / way can be figured out by trial and error but it takes days or weeks not just a few hours.
Also is there a similiar trick to be used with thePMS01  motion sensor during battery replacement?
Charles

This seems to be the case...and I think the MS10a/PMS01 should also retain its code when changing the battery.

everydayflyer

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 07:07:36 PM »

Well this is getting weirder and Weider.  The X-10 manual clearly states that .
After removing the old batteries fresh batteries must be installed within 30 seconds to ensure that the security code is retained.

As a test I registered an extra Door Sensor verified that it was working correctly then removed the batteries with the switch open ,waited 2 min. reinstalled batteries and it contined to work just fine. Next I removed the batteries for 1 hour with switch open,reinstalled batteries and it still worked just fine.

Next test is to leave batteries out for 5 hours (until the Console) no longer see this Door Sensor and see if a different Sensor can be registered to the same Zone.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 08:44:37 PM »

Well this is getting weirder and Weider.  The X-10 manual clearly states that .
After removing the old batteries fresh batteries must be installed within 30 seconds to ensure that the security code is retained.

Have you also noticed that everything X10 sells... installs in 5 minutes. I am convinced that X10 is an early adopter of metric time (AKA decimalized time)
Home Automation is an always changing technology

everydayflyer

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 08:01:42 AM »

Mostly I have noticed how poor the instructions are from what I have read here it is a waste of time to call tech support as they seem to know next to nothing. I guess they are trained to respond ,yes that will work how many do you want today and if you order 3 more you will save $50.

The more experience / knowledgeable members here are the real
source of info / help but here as on other User's Forums some feel necessary to reply when in fact they have no real experience so therefor can not provide an accurate answer.

An example would be my battery voltage / range question.statement. I mentioned rechargeable NiMH AAs and even clearly stated my were 2.5 + under load and a member came back and stated that Ni were 1.2 and that 2.4 volts was not enough.

This is the same knowledge about rechargeable as possessed by many. Their car battery is 12 volts and most think if it reads 12 volts it is fine, Truth is at 12 V no load it is dead. Charged and no load it is closer to 13 volts.

I had also stated that another Door Sensor was even further away and worked fine but was not in a metal building.  I removed the two Sanyo Enellops from the aluinum out building Sensor yesterday and replace them with a single LiFePO4 cell as per another post of mine.  The two Eneloops were 1.36 volts each after being in Door Sensor for 9 days. It required 40 mAh to recharge ea . one and  FYI NiMh cells are not 100% effecient when being  charged.

A NiMH fully charged is 1.45 no load fresh off of charge and settles to X.XX depending on time and quality of cell and charger .  I just checked a Eneloops; charged several days ago and it read 1.39 no load.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 08:14:10 AM by everydayflyer »

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 09:48:06 AM »

............. some feel necessary to reply when in fact they have no real experience so therefor can not provide an accurate answer.....
An example would be my battery voltage / range question.statement. I mentioned rechargeable NiMH AAs and even clearly stated my were 2.5 + under load and a member came back and stated that Ni were .................

I for one had only read about the new Sanyo rechargeables... and I was skeptical about what I had read.

Many of us here at the forum have even purchased products... to aid in testing and help construct a knowledge base. But technology keeps changing... and it looks like some of us may have gotten behind the curve... with rechargeable battery's.

It is really great to have a battery guru like yourself join us here. Stick with it! You will likely see other posts with outdated facts.. about rechargeables. The community may take a few reminders here and there to convince more to switch to rechargeable battery's.

everydayflyer

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 10:14:25 AM »

Dave I fully understand and I have a bad habit of being short with those who are way behind the curve on developments in batteries and rechargeable battery knowledge in general. Being a Radio Control Aircraft flyer since 1963 I have kept up with used and tested , Ni cad,NiMH,LiIon,LiFePO4, Pb,LiPoly and other re-chargable battery types. I have rather extensive and expensive equipment to test all of these types and have spent thousands of hours testing batteries.

I am also used to the fact that everything made in Asia has very poor documentation and that User's Groups such as this one if the best source to both find and share information. 

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 10:18:59 AM »

Dave I fully understand and I have a bad habit of being short with those who are way behind the curve on developments in batteries and rechargeable battery knowledge in general. 

Don't worry about it. I have a habit of... getting to the point.. myself. Keep spreading the word.

This is a community forum. Besides our X10 experience... we all bring to this forum our knowledge of [X10 and] other interests, hobbies, and professional life. It is that ability of being able to see a users problems... from a variety perspectives... that helps to make the forum the useful and effective tool it is.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 10:28:58 AM by Dave_x10_L »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.