Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MS10A  (Read 4194 times)

ranger88

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
MS10A
« on: April 12, 2010, 01:40:53 PM »

I've heard that MS10A motion sensors can be quite unpredictable (false alarms). But I've also heard that one can cover the lens with dark tape (except leaving a small area uncovered in the middle of the lens) to prevent false alarms.  Has anyone tried this?  Just wondering...

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: MS10A
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 07:10:32 PM »

I've heard that MS10A motion sensors can be quite unpredictable (false alarms).

I've heard that very same thing! However... I've used the MS10As for several years with no problem whatsoever. I think that ether... they were once less reliable than they are now. OR.. if you've paid $80 for a competitors brand.. saying the cheap ones are unpredictable could make you feel better.

But I've also heard that one can cover the lens with dark tape (except leaving a small area uncovered in the middle of the lens) to prevent false alarms.  Has anyone tried this?  Just wondering...

Many motion sensors can be "taped". Although I think the process is best done by taking the sensor apart and applying tape (even white electrical tape) or the special plastic lens included with some other bands of sensors. But the concept behind taping... is generally to remove a moving device (like a compressor or fan) from the view of the sensor. I don't think a sensor can be desensorized with tape... and still remain effective.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Deemar

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Re: MS10A
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 02:13:47 PM »

If you're worried about a moving item like a fan causing false alarms on motion detection systems, look into ZoneMinder. It lets you use a webcam to monitor a room and checks the checksum value of the image to see if the image has changed, thus detecting motion. But the neat thing about Zoneminder is it allows you to draw areas on the image that you want ignored. So you can set it up to ignore your cats walking around down low on the floor, or put a camera outside and draw an area around the clothes line. Check out the ZoneMinder site.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.