Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Controlling an appliance module behind a UPS  (Read 5843 times)

TheKub

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Controlling an appliance module behind a UPS
« on: May 13, 2010, 06:54:28 PM »

I will start off by saying I am very new to x10 and home automation in general.  What lead me to x10 (and ultimately here) is that occasionally my cable modem will crap out and need to be unplugged briefly to be reset.  I know there are purpose built devices for things like this but all of my searching uncovered that they had far more features (large wattage, web interface, multi ports, etc) than I was looking for and were far more than I was willing to spend to fix this issue ($150-$300+). 

That’s when I stumbled into the x10 appliance module and the CM15A.  So reading up a bit on it I bit the bullet and picked up a set (along with a bunch of other odds and ends to play with  ;D).  Now I’ve spend the past couple of days familiarizing myself with the software\hardware and wanted to start working on actually on fixing the problem I started with. 

I want to write a script that I can run on my server that will detect when the modem may have crapped out and send the AHCMD command to power down and power up the modem.  Seems easy enough.  Now for my question.  I have a APC 1500SmartUps that my equipment plugs into (PCs, monitors, modem, switches, etc).  The UPS has 6 outlets that are very close together so to make everything I have fit I have a handful of splitter power cables (Y cables about a foot long).  This lets me plug in all the low watt “wall warts” that wouldn’t fit otherwise.  When I plug my CM15A and a AM466 (that has the modem attached) and plug into the free outlet that my UPS is plugged into the module performs fine one command and it powers off\on.  Now given that I live in FL lightning is a common occurrence and given that I will always have the USB cord plugged from the CM15A into my server I would prefer it if I could put the equipment behind my UPS (to lessen the chance that a surge to the outlet could jump to the USB cable and thus to my server). 

The problem is when I move this splitter (containing all the devices) to behind my UPS it can take a half-dozen attempts before the module activates.  Now I know that certain devices (surge protectors, UPS’s) emit the “signal sucker” phenomena but what I want to know would using a filter in between my UPS and this Y splitter cable fix the unreliability?  Or would the filter do nothing because of the nature of the UPS? 

I hope so, as the single only has to travel across like 10’ of splitter to move between the controller and the module.

If you have any input I would be most appreciative. 

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Controlling an appliance module behind a UPS
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 07:21:51 PM »

Yes the UPS is probably absorbing the X10 signal as its power line conditioner thinks X10 signals are noise.
Putting an X10 type filter between the UPS and the CM15A with Appliance module is an interesting thought. In theory it could prevent the X10 signals from getting back into the UPS and being absorbed. Though I don't think anyone has reported trying that here.

One point you may want to think on. When on battery power most UPS units do not output a pure sine wave power. The CM15A has a power transformer and should tolerate that type of waveform. The Appliance Module using a power line derived supply. Could possible be damaged, but that depends on the wave being outputted and the modules supply. I did a test for someone a time back with a TM751 and a few UPS models. Two of the three just made so much line noise it didn't send signals the third one must have had a different waveform and smoked the TM751.

So if the filter works. On battery it still may not function if the modem needs a reboot. A CAREFUL test would be reccommended on battery.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 07:40:01 PM »

What lead me to x10 (and ultimately here) is that occasionally my cable modem will crap out and need to be unplugged briefly to be reset.

Forgive me.. but I feel compelled to point out that in no way should you have this problem. A cable modem should NOT "occasionally crap out". Your modem should operate as reliably as your alarm clock (day after day, week after week, month after month). "Resetting" a cable modem is something that should only need be done every year or two.

I think in this case you need a NEW modem or a bad fitting replaced... and nothing more. And... I'd never stick an an X10 module in a UPS (like Brian H pointed out NOT a true sine).

However.. you've found X10 and Home Automation! This X10 stuff is a real hoot. I hope you call your cable guys and get a new modem (or whatever)... then order some X10 stuff and join the fun. Be sure to sign up for the X10 newsletter... and shop the deals.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 07:41:39 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

TheKub

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 08:33:23 PM »

Thanks for the replies. 

I'm not concerned about damaging the units as this UPS is an enterprise class unit that DOES output a pure sine wave on battery.  The reason I purchased this model is because both my server and desktop have ActivePFC power supplies that either do not work with or can (potentially) be damaged by consumer grade simulated sine wave UPS's. 

I’m not terribly concerned about the module working or not when the UPS active on battery because that means the power is out and if its more than ~10 min my machines will start powering down anyway.  This is more to prevent the situation where I would like to access my server\network remotely but cant because the modem is crapped out. 

Dave you are not the first person to do say that but regardless of the fact mine does and I know without a shadow of a doubt the problem is the cable modem.  Unfortunately, because it is so intermittent and the first troubleshooting step for the cable modem is to reset it, which fixes it, the cable company sees nothing wrong with it and I have little desire to deal with their tech support  B:( any more and pursue a replacement at the moment (especially now that Ive spent money for a work around  ;)). 

If I decide to try the filter between the UPS and the splitter is there a particular type I should get?

everydayflyer

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 08:47:30 PM »

I am new to X-10 and know next to nothing but..................
fact is I have powered X-10 devices from APC brand UPS units and had no problems at all. My hose is on the small side however my shop is 100 feet away and I have no problems controlling the lights in it from the house. 

I am in no way saying that UPS units are not X-10 signal suckers just pointing out that some may be worse than others and that not all of them prevent X-10 devices from working .

HA Dave

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 10:11:47 PM »

Why not try a RR501 and have the cm15a send RF (as opposed to plc) to it. 
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 10:16:22 PM »

The APC Smart-UPS is an excellent unit that does output a true sine wave.  I use the 2200 myself to power our "electronics" circuit.  Its line filter presents a very heavy load on the X10 signal, which is why I have isolated it with the 20A XPF filter.

Unless you have a very powerful signal source, you will have trouble feeding a signal through the UPS.  Our cable modem and router run off 12VDC.  If yours is similarly powered, you could use a PUM01 universal module plugged in upstream of your UPS to interrupt the DC power going to the modem.  Then isolate the UPS with a X10 filter to keep it from loading down the X10 signal.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 10:29:17 PM »

Why not try a RR501 and have the cm15a send RF (as opposed to plc) to it. 

An excellent idea! I [once] needed to get a signal to an outlet that also had a cable amplifier plugged into it. The cables equipment was noisy enough I couldn't get a PLC through. So I placed a TM751 in the outlet and set a RF signal for the CM15A... worked great.

TheKub

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 05:32:29 PM »

I did infact have a tm751 in the pile of other odds and ends that I bought.  I hooked it up to the UPS in place of the AM466 and it works great!.  Though I may still concider buying some filters, eiter way Ill have to spend more $$$ on another transceiver or some filters.  But this will certainly work until I read up more on the subject and plan a different solution. 

Thanks!

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 07:12:07 PM »

..... Ill have to spend more $$$ on another transceiver or some filters.  But this will certainly work until I read up more on the subject and plan a different solution. 

And while your reading... read about the AHP [Active Home Pro] and the CM15A with the suite of software. You won't believe what all that will allow you to do. We're stretching the limits.

TheKub

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 09:01:30 PM »

Well everything is in place.  I have the script written and installed as a service on my server.  It randomly selects 3 URLs to ping and if all 3 fail to respond it waits a selected amount of time and selects a new set of URLs and tries again after 3 loops it powers down the modem and turns it back on.  If the service shuts the modem down more than 3 times in any 60 min period the service stops itself to prevent cycling repeatedly should there ever be an event where the connection is really down.  Any time it restarts the modem and internet functionality returns it sends my phone a text.   

All my simulated failures show that it performs as expected, now to see if it works when the real thing happens.

Thanks for the suggestions\help!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 10:15:01 PM »

This is really starting to sound like a handy application.  Any chance that you'd be interested in sharing?

BTW, for your efforts to produce another innovative use of X10, and your troubleshooting/engineering, I've given you a +1.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

TheKub

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 09:15:59 AM »

Sure!  http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WN0OYHP1

This is the compiled script.  Its extention has been changed to .exs for registration as a service.  If you want it to run manually just change it back to an exe. 

Most of the settings are configurable via the INI file and there are descriptions of each setting.  One requirement is you must have the path to the ahcmd.exe command in your computers path statement as it executes it via name only and not full path.  It also creates a c:\software\logs directory where it logs various actions\errors.  If you want to test it change the DomainCount value to 2 and swap the [DomainList1] and [DomainList] headers these IPs will fail to ping and run the script as needed, just remember to swap them back when you are done. 

I have tested the script but since its been done the modem has behaved so it hasnt had the real world test.  If you have any questions or issues let me know.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.