Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Any Figure Out How To Modify AM466, A08A02 Board, To Stop Local Sense Current  (Read 8432 times)

abc1667xxxxx537

• Helpful Post Rating: 1

Has anyone figured out how to go in and modify the AM466, with 08A02 board, and stop the flow of their local sense current?

A necessity to stop very low current draw components such as relays (i.e. 15 mA for ice cube relays controlled by AM466) from still kicking on (so defeating local sense is no good here, one has to stop the flow of current to be successful).

By the way, what is the magnitude of the local sense current on these new AM466, 08A02 board, devices?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

0.38ma AC. on a Date Code 09K48 {CFL Friendly surface mounted controller IC}.

It is the status signal for the electronice to know if the ratchet switch is on or off. If you remove that current. The switch will pulse two to three times as it tries to determine if it is on or off. The new ones do not have local control sensing. Though I have seen one false trigger on when power is first applied.
Use a small incandescent night light bulb across the load or a 56K-220K 1/2 Watt resistor across the load. With 56K swamping the current through it as R14 in the module is a 330K 1/2 watt.

Is your problem when you turn it off. The relay stays on or the module triggers back on?

I did the reed relay for momentary dry contacts mod on one as a test. Removing the sensing resistor causes it to pulse two times. Older ones I believe pulsed three times. The unit I modified for the momentary reed relay output was a 08A02 so I know it has the updated PCB and lower current. The older ones where much higher.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 02:30:59 PM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer

I have also tried both old and new Appliance Modules on some Idec RSSAN-10A and RSSA-10A Solid State Relays. They use a 90-280 VAC Control signal and can switch 10 amps 24-330 VAC for the RSSA-10A and 48-660 VAC for the RSSAN-10A.
The older Appliance Modules kept them on even when the module was off.
The newer ones did not turn them on when off. Though the control terminals where at about 67 VAC when of the module was off. Both my older and newer hardware ApplianceLincs also did not fire them when off.

abc1667xxxxx537

My concern is to not have my 15 mA relay kick on when the AM466 is supposed to be off as it puts out about 118 VAC when it is allegedly, "OFF." I see how it causes small lights to light dimly when it is supposed to be off.

So, is 0.33-0.38 mA the maximum output current we can get from these devices when they are supposed to be off? If it is, then it should just become a game of just putting enough resistance across the load to get less than 15 mA sourcing through the relay coil?

Brian H

• Community Organizer

Yes that is the current through a small bulb [to protect my meter if it turned on] when off. When cold the bulb is a low resistance and should not effect the readings greatly.

To compare to an old Date Code 02H34 appliance module. 2.37ma AC and 1.69ma DC. Diode in circuit gave a DC component to the readings.
The new Date Code 08A01 was 0.38 ma AC.

If you are measuring the 118 volts with a high impedance meter and no load. You are getting a false reading.
Measuring the module off voltage across the relays coil would be a better test.
The 15ma load is 50 times the 'am I on sensing current'. It will probably be fine as is. Unless the relay has a real low drop out voltage.
My rough math says your coil is about 8000 Ohms and should load the small current right down and the voltage across the coil off maybe 2.84 volts.

Yes real low current devices like LED bulbs can and do glow dimly on the new appliance modules.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 06:19:04 PM by Brian H »

abc1667xxxxx537

Thanks.

Brian H

• Community Organizer

You are welcome.

Though I doubt the relay will be a problem. If it is holler and we will see what can be done to correct it.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.