Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Doing a Remote DISARM mod, but plugging modules into each other stops working.  (Read 4553 times)

Bruno B

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Hi,

Wanting to have the ability to remotely disarm my security system, and knowing (or at least having read that this is impossible with macros), I happily came across this posting that described a hardware hack: http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=16314.0   :)+   by BaBaLou

So, using the PUM01, connected to the disarm switch of a KR10A (the hack), I can now disarm the alarm remotely. Problem is, if the PUM01 code happens to be triggered by something else (random RF, etc), it would disarm my alarm. So I came up with this idea...

Plug a LM465 into the wall (because I had a spare) - on one house code. Then, plug the PUM01 (on a different house code) into the LM465. The PUM01 is hardwired to a KR10A's disarm switch.  -:)

Now, in theory, the PUM01 isn't powered until the LM465 is turned on, then a code can be sent to the PUM01 to DISARM the alarm. Not complicated, adds a lot of extra protection, but - DOESN'T WORK  B:(

The LM465 works great on its own. The PUM01 works great on its own. Plug one into the other and not even RF signals trigger the PUM01 after the LM465 is powered on. I'm thinking that the LM465 filters the X10 signals from being passed through to the PUM01, but that shouldn't affect the RF signals... So I'm confused.

I have a solution. I'm going to connect a relay to the LM465 that is going to feed an unfiltered AC line to the PUM01 (controlled by the relay). That way, the power going to the PUM01 will not have passed through the LM465. Not sure this is going to work, but I'm going to try - unless.....

Someone here has a solution to make the LM465 to PUM01 direct connection pass through work.

Thank you so much for your help.

Bruno

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

First don't be confused by RF signal. The LM465 and PUM01 do not process RF signals directly. They have to be transceived and placed on the power line. So an RF signal will not directly control an LM465; PUM01 or a majority of the modules.

Is the LM465 one of the newer soft start ones?

I tested an LM465 and no X10 signals get through it to the output and the dimming circuit generates so much noise even at 100%. A PUM01 on the outlet even combined with a 40 watt light bulb will not work.

A relay may not work. A dimmer module will not drive a relay correctly. I just tried a relay and an LM465. It did not pull in. With an added 40 watt light bulb on the output with a power tap. It hummed and chattered until it was at 100%. It would be possible in some combinations. The relay or lamp module could be damaged, but that may depend on the exact situation and parts used.

I take it you are not trying an Appliance module as it turns off during an alarm if on the security code address.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 04:07:01 PM by Brian H »

Bruno B

Thank you for your reply.

I had not tried an appliance module since I didn't have one on hand. I do have two spare WS467 switches. Could I use them to switch on a relay to provide power to the PUM01?

If not, what modules would you recommend to use. I can order them/it.

Thank you for your help in this matter.

Bruno

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23

Curious, would this work?  Instead: How about having a ghost module set a flag, and then have the conditional (flag set) when triggering the Universal Module ?  Oops ----- this would involve a macro.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 06:07:02 PM by JMac »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

WS467 steals power through the load and will not work with a 120 volt relay or the PUM01.

An appliance module will turn the power on and off to the PUM01 and I believe others here are using that setup to for some added security. A wall switch with a relay in it would also work. WS13A or XPS3. Both have a relay in them and use a Neutral power wire so no power is stolen through the load.

Bruno B

Brian H,

Thank you again - very much. I will be purchasing an appliance module and finish this project.

>!

Bruno

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.