Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Controlling WS467 & WS477 Switches  (Read 4049 times)

mrosbrook

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Controlling WS467 & WS477 Switches
« on: May 24, 2010, 06:42:05 PM »

I have just recently installed Active Home Pro with a CM15A. I have some WS467 and 477 switches placed throughout the house. What I am trying to do is turn off the switches after say 10 minutes of someone turning on the switch through macros or some sort of timers. I called X10 and they told me that this is impossible because the switches are not "two way" switches. What I understood is that when the switch is activated from a particular room, it does not communicate with the interface to let it know to start a particular macro. Is this true?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Controlling WS467 & WS477 Switches
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 06:49:33 PM »

That is correct. The switches are not two way and have no power line transmitter in them.
There is no way for an X10 switch changed locally to send anything back to the CM15A and AHP.

There use to be some other brand X10 compatible switches that where two way and some now that are not 100% compatible. Like the Insteon SwitchLincs.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 06:53:49 PM by Brian H »

mrosbrook

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 07:16:35 PM »

So there is basically no way to do what I am trying to do? My family turns on lights and it is near impossible to get them to turn them off. I was hoping that this system would do this for me, somehow. Is it possible with the Eagle Eye Motion Sensors programmed with macros and a prticular switch?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 08:37:42 PM »

So there is basically no way to do what I am trying to do? My family turns on lights and it is near impossible to get them to turn them off. I was hoping that this system would do this for me, somehow. Is it possible with the Eagle Eye Motion Sensors programmed with macros and a prticular switch?
Yes you could use Motion Sensors to detect movement in the area of the wall switch and run an "OFF" macro. Or you could use  Slim-Line Switches  or Palm Pads, placed near the existing switches to control the lights and have an OFF macro run the required time period later,  or you could replace the X10 wall switches with Smarthome.com switches that transmit status.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 11:17:01 PM »

To say that there is no way to do what you are trying to do is only partially correct.  There is no way to do what you want to do with the switches that you have.  If you want to do what you are saying, it is not impossible.  Using XPT style switches with plug in or wired in modules can accomplish this.  The XPT switches are strictly a transmitter, and not an actual switch that will control a light directly which is why you need the modules.  Since the XPT switch is a transmitter, it will be able to update AHP and trigger your macro to turn the light off when you want. The nice thing about the XPT switches is that you can choose one of 6 switch plate configurations that suit your needs.  You can control up to 4 on off switches or 3 on off with a bright/dim button.  I use an XPT in my living room to control the lights I have in the corners of the room.  The lights are plugged into LM465 lamp modules.  The nice thing about them being plug in modules is that I can relocate the lights to other places in the room and still be able to control them from the XPT keypad.  Another nice thing about the XPT switches is that they have a better tactile feel than the push on, push off of the WS467s and XPD3s.  You actually push the rockers one way for on and the other way for off.

Wiring the XPT switches in a box where you are replacing an existing wall switch can be a bit tricky.  The XPT has 2 wires, Hot and Neutral.  This is because it is strictly a PLC transmitter.  The tricky part is that whatever light or receptacle that the switch was controlling will no longer be switched at the switch box on the wall.  Therefore, you need to wire the light or receptacle at the switch box so it is always on.  This can

When I wired mine in my living room, the switch controlled one wall outlet.  There was power at the wall outlet, but not at the switch.  In the wall outlet box, I converted the wiring so that the outlet was on all the time, and the 2 wires that came from the switch became a live set to power the XPT.

The XPT switches are bought in 2 parts:

The transmitter base                                                 And a keypad

This is a bit more expensive option to do what you want, but in the end I think you'll like the outcome.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

everydayflyer

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 07:36:36 AM »

Or just go to Homedepot / Lowe's etc. and purchase an occupancy switch for around .$20 .

X-10 is not allways ways the simplest or least expensive way to go.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.