Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scene Controller and Dimmers  (Read 4318 times)

B.A.

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Scene Controller and Dimmers
« on: May 24, 2010, 08:23:56 AM »

New to X10 and the forum.
Current setup inlcudes appliance module, WS12A, Relay wall switch, motion sensors, CM15A, AHP and Smarthome hardwired phase coupler.
House is 2300 sq. ft. After some tweaking, reliability is pretty much 100%.
I'm getting ready to do a major kitchen renovation and want scene capability.
I Want to have one keypad to control scenes for 6 or 7 dimmers (incandescent).
I have a WS12A for outside lights and it works fine for me, but for the kitchen, I want
something with true rocker action. Can't decide whether to go with Leviton or Insteon.
Leviton seems to be cheaper (LED brightness not required), but I was just wondering if
anyone can provide 1st hand accounts on either before I make a purchase.
Neutrals are not an issue as I am an electrician and will be doing some re wiring for the reno.
I plan on adding a neutral in all boxes for flexibility.

Thanks

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Scene Controller and Dimmers
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 11:24:28 AM »

Are you going to stick with X10 as the main protocol with APP and the CM15A?

Insteon wall switches can have a Primary X10 Address added to them. The dimmer versions are not 100% controllable with AHP. Smarthome/Labs chose to use the %dim command for direct dimming. When locally dimmed from the paddle. Sends a %dim command on the power line when released. AHP does not use %dim and does nothing with the signals. If the local paddle is used to go to 0% then an X10 off is sent and not a 0%dim. If brightened up to 100% they send a X10 On and not a 100% dim. This is how the early firmware acts. I don't think the latest has changed anything.

The Insteon Switchlincs can also have X10 Scene Addresses added while the lower cost Icon version can not. At one time I was using an X10 Scene Address in mine to use one command to turn them all on or off. I removed the Scenes when I got some Insteon remotes. Early days there where no Insteon Remotes and a good old HR12A Palm pad was used.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 11:32:14 AM by Brian H »

B.A.

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 12:21:38 PM »

I don't have plans to switch from X10/AHP/CM15A at this point, but I was considering Insteon switches in case
I wanted to change in the future to Insteon. However, at this point, I haven't had any problems that
would cause me to want to change. Price is also a big factor.
I only originally got into X10 to control my driveway lights.....you know the rest of this story.

With the WS12A, I've been dimming to an absolute value from AHP. Will this work with the Switchlincs or Icons?
I don't think I would mind using that instead of scenes. I realize there will be added delays.

I haven't been considering what the switch was transmitting over the powerline when used locally,
I just figured when the "scene" was called, it would override the current status of the switch. Is this wrong?

Thanks

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 04:31:54 PM »

I will try some tests by adding one to my AHP test computer and use my Smarthome 1132CU controller to monitor the signals.
Last time I tried to adjust an Insteon Dimmer using the X10 address in it I was not very successful.
The differences where documented in some of the older SwitchLinc Dimmer  FAQ files but when they moved things to the wiki. Much got lost.

Here is some stuff users have added to the KB.
http://wiki.smarthome.com/index.php?title=Migrating_to_INSTEON

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 03:42:47 PM »

I am not an AHP expert so I could have missed something.

I tried a few device choices in AHP. With an Icon Dimmer Switch with an added X10 Primary Address.

I could not find any combination that would allow the modules slider in AHP to change the switches level or if I did a local paddle brightness change. The AHP slider didn't move. On and off was fine.

My Smarthome 1132CU monitoring the power line. Showed that AHP was sending what looked like extended data. While the switch was sending %Dim messages that AHP ignored. The 1132CU sending %Dim command could control the switch.

B.A.

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 12:09:47 PM »

Wow. Good to know.

I'm leaning toward Leviton. May just buy one or two to try.

Thanks for your help.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.