Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ongoing pursuit of a cheap USB/Serial adapter...  (Read 6805 times)

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
Re: Ongoing pursuit of a cheap USB/Serial adapter...
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 12:15:12 PM »

Patrick,
I'd still appreciate knowing the results of either the port_line_test or even running just 'heyu fon Hu' with your $5 adapter. ("Hu" being any Housecode|unit address, e.g., A1.)

The only way I can provide knowledgeable advice to others is by having feedback from users like you.

Charles,
I'll do it.  I've got a few minutes free @ work - I'll remote login at post the results.

Like I mentioned earlier - your port_line_test showed all pins toggling state nicely -- except for Ring indicator #9.

Stand by for the other test.

pconroy

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 12:27:03 PM »

Ok - I will when I get a chance.

Charles - interesting. port_line_test shows CD, DSR and CTS toggling nicely.
RI (pin 9) doesn't - stays clear.

I'll have to look at my code that opens the port.

Charles,

"
$heyu fon A1
$"

No error message - all indications are that it worked.
Does that help?

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 12:50:25 PM »

Patrick,
I'd still appreciate knowing the results of either the port_line_test or even running just 'heyu fon Hu' with your $5 adapter. ("Hu" being any Housecode|unit address, e.g., A1.)

The only way I can provide knowledgeable advice to others is by having feedback from users like you.

Charles,
I'll do it.  I've got a few minutes free @ work - I'll remote login at post the results.

Like I mentioned earlier - your port_line_test showed all pins toggling state nicely -- except for Ring indicator #9.

Patrick,
The port_line_test results are all I needed.  Thanks.
Your results are what I've seen with an adapter I have with an older Prolific chipset.

Failure of the "fon" test would be expected from an adapter which doesn't support any status lines, which is not the case here.

I'm surprised you haven't reported getting the message "RI line may be stuck" when sending X10 commands with that adapter (unless you've already found the CHECK_RI_LINE config directive to perform/bypass the RI check).

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

pconroy

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 04:29:34 PM »

Patrick,

Charles,

Patrick,
The port_line_test results are all I needed.  Thanks.
Your results are what I've seen with an adapter I have with an older Prolific chipset.

Failure of the "fon" test would be expected from an adapter which doesn't support any status lines, which is not the case here.

I'm surprised you haven't reported getting the message "RI line may be stuck" when sending X10 commands with that adapter (unless you've already found the CHECK_RI_LINE config directive to perform/bypass the RI check).

Charles - I'm not running HeyU fulltime yet.
Still running my own software.

If I can get HeyU to send me the TCP packets I need - which I'm sure I'll be able to do - then I'll switch over.

Funny - that super cheap $1.99 adapter showed up as a Prolific 2303 in Linux and I couldn't make that work.
Now that I have proof of my own user error, I need to recheck it!

Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.