Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Latest sucessor to the CP290 PC Interface?  (Read 7762 times)

cameo

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Latest sucessor to the CP290 PC Interface?
« on: May 31, 2010, 04:26:42 AM »

I still run my X10 modules with the original CP290 controller which forces me to keep a DOS partition on an older PC. I'd like to replace the CP290 with its latest successor that uses USB port to interface with a current Windows OS (XP or later.) My X10 modules are all one-way and I use no dimmers. Just appliance and lamp modules. Can somebody tell me which current Windows/USB controller would give me about the same functionality as the old CP290?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 06:32:03 PM by cameo »

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Latest sucessor to the CP290 PC Interface?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 08:10:50 AM »

Haven't been here long?   The CP290 was succeeded by the CM11A, which was succeeded by the  USB CM15A.

Take a look at http://www.x10.com/activehomepro/activehome-pro.html to see what Active Home Pro and the CM15A will do for you.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

cameo

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 02:39:51 PM »

Haven't been here long?   The CP290 was succeeded by the CM11A, which was succeeded by the  USB CM15A.

Take a look at http://www.x10.com/activehomepro/activehome-pro.html to see what Active Home Pro and the CM15A will do for you.

I am totally new here as I didn't know about this forum before. I've heard about the CM15A interface but I could not find a definitive answer to what Windows version it works with and whether the software is being updated to newer Windows verions. It does not have to be the software that comes with the controller as long as there are any 3rd party programs working with it with newer Windows versions.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 05:04:53 PM »

X10USA sells the Active Home Pro software and the CM15A as a package.  They also sell various add-on programs for AHP on their site but since you are updating from the CP290 (which has been out of production for at least 15 years) you don't need them.  If you are interested, check out the site I posted in reply to you.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 06:10:11 PM »

If you decide to go with the CM15A and AHP. Check the sales pages. Frequently you can get AHP; the Interface and all of the plug in for $49.99 or sometimes the interface and just AHP for $29.99

cameo

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 02:16:49 AM »

If you decide to go with the CM15A and AHP. Check the sales pages. Frequently you can get AHP; the Interface and all of the plug in for $49.99 or sometimes the interface and just AHP for $29.99

Well, I did order the CM15A and software for the $49.99 price but was surprised I got charged sales tax as a WA state resident because supposedly X10 has a physical presence in the state. That's news to me as I've never heard of any X10 facility here.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 05:57:25 AM »

I believe the Corporate Offices are in WA.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 07:37:56 AM »

620 Naches Avenue Southwest, Renton, WA

Icon beta testers have this address burned in their brain.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

cameo

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 02:26:30 PM »

620 Naches Avenue Southwest, Renton, WA

Icon beta testers have this address burned in their brain.

Thanks for that info. That's only about 15 miles from me. Now the question is where they are going to ship that controller to me from? I hope it's not going to be from some East Coast warehouse.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 04:15:32 PM »

Even if it is shipped from a close warehouse. Most times they use Smartpost and it could take a week.
Mine from NJ. to CT. Use to be one or two days FedEx ground. Now a week or more, depending on the post office time.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 10:16:22 PM »

Also, SAVE the e-mail X10 sends you with the serial numbers for your copy of AHP.  If you ever have to do a reformat of the PC that e-mail will make re-installation of AHP a breeze.

cameo

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 07:16:01 PM »

Also, SAVE the e-mail X10 sends you with the serial numbers for your copy of AHP.  If you ever have to do a reformat of the PC that e-mail will make re-installation of AHP a breeze.

Will do. Thanks.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 05:27:21 PM »

Did you save your files from the CP290?   AHP MAY import them, I don't know.  AHP did import files from Active Home, try it.  If you can print them it will save some time setting up AHP.  It's been so long for me I was using AH and the CM11A when I upgraded to AHP/CM15A

cameo

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 06:29:37 PM »

Did you save your files from the CP290?   AHP MAY import them, I don't know.  AHP did import files from Active Home, try it.  If you can print them it will save some time setting up AHP.  It's been so long for me I was using AH and the CM11A when I upgraded to AHP/CM15A

Actually, I dumped the original CP290 software in favor of David Huras' program that I found more useful and still use. So I'll have to manually enter the schedule to the new controller's program interface when it arrives.

That makes me wonder just when it arrives because X10 confirmed my online order a week ago but so far I have not received any note from them that they shipped it. What's going on? In the confirmation they wrote:
---------
Thank you for ordering from X10!

This e-mail confirms that your order has been received by X10.com.

Pending credit verification and eligibility under our terms and conditions, your order will be processed and shipped shortly. If for any reason we cannot process your order, you will receive an e-mail explaining the process.

When your order is shipped we will notify you by e-mail and provide a tracking number for the package.

Your Order Number is: 357xxxx

Your order was placed on Mon May 31 19:13:48 2010.

-----

What credit verification can take this long on a credit card order?

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 10:06:19 PM »

Did you get the e-mail from X10 giving you the shipping date and the carrier (usually FedEx)?   Save that if you did, if you didn't, you need to contact X10 ASAP.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.