Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Appliance module on a UPS battery backup?  (Read 1700 times)

gossamer

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Appliance module on a UPS battery backup?
« on: June 04, 2010, 12:32:41 PM »

Hi,

I'd like to control a computer server with an appliance module that is connected to a UPS battery backup and it doesn't work. Is this the expected behavior? Does the UPS somehow intercept or prevent the signal from reaching the controller, or do I have another problem?

I'm sure that if I connected it to the UPS power supply itself it would work, but this would defeat the purpose -- I'd like to be able to keep the UPS running for other devices, but be able to switch this one on and off, as it's only needed periodically.

Thanks,
Alex

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Appliance module on a UPS battery backup?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 02:35:51 PM »

If the appliance module is on the AC output side of the UPS it is almost certain the noise filter in the UPS is blocking all the X10 signals on the power line. Also depending on the output waveform of the UPS when on battery. It could damage the module.

If the appliance module is on the AC Input to the UPS again the noise filter in it maybe sucking up all the signals. If it is on the AC input side you maybe able to put an X10 filter between the appliance modules switched output and the UPS AC Line Input. Taking the AC current of the UPS into account.

-:) Gee It just dawned on me. An appliance module on the AC input of the UPS when off would trigger battery backup.  :P

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.