Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: is there an X10 device that can "learn" IR remote signals?  (Read 5151 times)

callagga

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
is there an X10 device that can "learn" IR remote signals?
« on: June 11, 2010, 06:53:09 PM »

Hi,

I have a split air-con system that has an IR remote control.  It is cabled into mains power by electrians as it can't use a standard power plug (e.g. 8kW I think). 

So having an X10 unit that could "learn" the on/off IR signal for the unit, and then be placed near the unit so it could repeat these on request via X10 would be the only way wouldn't it?

Is there an X10 product that would do this.

PS. I'm in Australia so we're 240V

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: is there an X10 device that can "learn" IR remote signals?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 07:45:04 PM »

Maybe the PowerMid IR sender/receiver unit would give you the added range you need. http://www.x10.com/automation/x10_pm5900.htm
Home Automation is an always changing technology

callagga

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 07:51:27 PM »

Maybe the PowerMid IR sender/receiver unit would give you the added range you need. http://www.x10.com/automation/x10_pm5900.htm
sorry - I don't need a repeater, but moreso I'm just asking there is such a thing as an X10 device that can learn the "air-con on" signal from my air con remote control (8.1kW, Split/ReverseCycle/InverterType, Mitsubishi, which is non-X10), so I could then hopefully use an X10 system to turn it off/on - make sense?

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 09:22:37 PM »

Hi,

I have a split air-con system that has an IR remote control.  It is cabled into mains power by electrians as it can't use a standard power plug (e.g. 8kW I think). 

So having an X10 unit that could "learn" the on/off IR signal for the unit, and then be placed near the unit so it could repeat these on request via X10 would be the only way wouldn't it?

Is there an X10 product that would do this.

PS. I'm in Australia so we're 240V

You mean like the better remote controls?
You take the remote control for the old unit and teach the new RC?

It would be interesting to see if a Harmony remote could be taught the IR sequence

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »

.. I'm just asking there is such a thing as an X10 device that can learn the "air-con on" signal from my air con remote control ........... so I could then hopefully use an X10 system to turn it off/on - make sense?

Yes. The VCR commander2 might be able to do that. I can learn some IR device signals... then send them when it "hears" an X10 RF signal.

I've had some good results using a computer based program/device (see BVC)... but I think you mentioned earlier... your not interested in computer based automation.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

callagga

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 09:36:49 PM »

You mean like the better remote controls?
You take the remote control for the old unit and teach the new RC?

I was more thinking of teaching an X10 IR sending to send ON/OFF commands when directed to by an X10 controller (albeit X10 software that schedules on an X10 on/off event, or X10 remote).  So one use case would be if I had a programable X10 device I could get it to start/shutdown the system at specified times in the day.  The controller would send the X10 command to this "programmable X10 based IR sending" I am talking about (if it exists)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 06:05:17 PM »

So one use case would be if I had a programable X10 device I could get it to start/shutdown the system at specified times in the day.  The controller would send the X10 command to this "programmable X10 based IR sending" I am talking about (if it exists)

The ICON remote is sorta close, in that it will memorize IR commands and you can program macros, but it can not be programed for time functions. Are you sure your HVAC is IR? If you can use it all over your home(which I would think a remote control for HVAC could be), wouldn't it be RF?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

yancy

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 07:29:48 PM »

Please clarify again what you are trying to do:

1) Send an X10 command to an X10/IR device, which interprets the command to send the correct IR signal to your end device

or

2) Send an IR command to an X10 device, which turns on/off

I'm assuming it's the former, which would make Dave_X10's suggestion of using the VCR Commander 2 a viable option.  Another option I've seen are the IRLinc devices.  I believe they are sold on Smarthome.com.  They have several types, one which receives an IR signal then sends an X10 command, the other receiving and X10 command then transmitting the IR signal to an emitter that is pointed at your device you are controlling.

callagga

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 07:30:53 PM »

yes it's the former - I've had a look at the ones you've points out - thanks
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 07:43:55 PM by callagga »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.