Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Active Home - Not so much  (Read 32400 times)

Dumpster

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Active Home - Not so much
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2010, 10:35:27 PM »

It's been a long day with little fruit.  :'(

I thought I could finally deal with this issue by xmitting the dim command multiple times. So, I set up a simple little ditty and let it rip.
Much to my surprise, for every RF command that is sent out, it now gets repeated on the line 5 times!
At first, I thought it was the TM751 but nothing I tried fixed it. I tried shutting down and restarting AHP. No joy.

Finally, as a last resort, I unpluged the CM15A USB and power, removed the batteries, pluged it back in to the power, put the batteries back in, plugged the USB cable again, and VIOLA, one RF command, one PLC command.
So, the problem seems to be with the CM15A. Sheesh.  >*<

I have no idea what's going on. I haven't gotten the SDK for the interface yet, but I'm betting some of the advance codes control things like repeat commands and somehow the CM15A is getting confused and setting a repeat rate with every command. This has not been a very satisfying way to spend my father's day ... sigh

I know there are a lot of satisfied folks out there, so I'm not going to be bashing X10 too much ... but this sucks.  B:(

OK. I'm done whining.

p.s. Thank you for those that tried to help me figure out this wierd behavoir.

Dumpster

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 03:29:03 PM »

I'm convinced X10 should pull their support for RF Tx from their software. It is so unreliable. Below is another bizarre behavior. I’ve tried to make this a clear as possible. Before starting, I’ve unplugged and removed the batteries from the CM15A and repeated these tests several times.

Test case 1
1.   Create macro K4 to send one RF command dim absolute 50% to M4.
2.   Configure it to Run From PC
3.   Save it and download to the CM15A
4.   Switch to all rooms view
5.   View the activity monitor (F2)
6.   Execute the macro by clicking on the Run Macro button
Results: Four transmit commands get logged to the activity monitor; M4 Off, M4 Off, M4 On, and M Dim.
Continue watching the activity monitor window. It shows the Receive for the Off and On commands and then about 80 Receive M Dim 10% (takes several minutes before it stops) :o

Test case 2
1.   Edit macro K4 to send one RF command dim absolute 50% to M4.
2.   Configure it to Store in Interface (The only difference from test case 1)
3.   Save it and download to the CM15A
4.   Switch to all rooms view
5.   View the activity monitor (F2)
6.   Execute the macro by clicking on the Run Macro button
Results: Three transmit commands get logged to the activity monitor; M4 Off, M4 On, and M Dim
Continue watching the activity monitor window. It shows the Receive for the Off and On commands and then about 4 Receive M Dim 10%

In both cases, watching the actual device confirms what’s in the log. In fact, in test case 1, manually pushing the button on the wall switch turns the light back on to full brightness and then it begins to dim until off just as the activity monitor would suggest.

I’ve tested this in versions 3.228 and 3.271 (downloaded/installed today)

I really want X10 to be aware of this situation. Can anyone suggest the best avenue for bringing this (along with the other bizarre behavior in this thread) to their attention?

Thanks again for everyone’s help and suggestions.
 >!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 06:26:17 PM »

Just out of curiosity, where did you get 3.271?  Not from X10, I suspect.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 06:28:40 PM »

X10 International sites have 3.267 available for download. I believe the update feature from that version will do 3.271.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 06:55:01 PM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 06:44:16 PM »

Dumpster; Good data keeping on the search for the answer.  :)%

Not sure if there is a good method of bring this to their attention. We have been pointing out problems for many months and it has been a real long time since we had an update to AHP. The work around for the Soft Start Module being called an LM14A has been used for a very long time. I wounder if that maybe part of the problem. The LM14A used some commands the other ones do not.

Also the RF remotes send more than one Dim each time the button is activeted. Maybe when AHP is sending an RF dim it does multiple ones.

You verified you have no repeater at present. So we don't have to worry about a firestorm of dims; that some did when paired; with a CM15A. The Leviton HCA02 and the Smarthome ones have been reported to get into signal firestorms under some conditions when paired with a CM15A.

Since you tried multiple AHP versions. Maybe the actual firmware in the CM15A has a glitch in it.

Dumpster

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 07:09:23 PM »

Just out of curiosity, where did you get 3.271?  Not from X10, I suspect.
I just used the original downloader I had gotten from X10 when I first installed. I was surprised too. The first time I used the downloader it installed 3.267. This time I got 3.271.

Since you tried multiple AHP versions. Maybe the actual firmware in the CM15A has a glitch in it.
I'm betting the CM15A as well. Do we know if they have ever provided an update for the firmware or if they even have designed in a way to update it?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2010, 07:19:23 PM »

No way to update the firmware by the user.
It is burned into the controller IC soldered to the main board.
My real early CM15A has an older version sticker on the controller IC than my last one.

X10 actually downloaded 3.267 and you are in the US or Canada.
Maybe things are changing.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2010, 07:37:45 PM »

quote the Beatles White Album (sort of) "Happiness is a warm XTBIIR"
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2010, 08:00:28 PM »

No way to update the firmware by the user.
It is burned into the controller IC soldered to the main board.
My real early CM15A has an older version sticker on the controller IC than my last one.

X10 actually downloaded 3.267 and you are in the US or Canada.
Maybe things are changing.

3.267 is not in the X10 Software Repository, the last version in it is 3.236.   

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2010, 06:08:44 AM »

True Dan; It is available from the international X10 dealers selling their CM15A AHP packages.
I believe some here in the US have also used it.

Dumpster

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2010, 10:51:15 PM »

The beat goes on  B:(

After updating to 3.271, I started getting an error saying the AHP had a problem communicating with the USB device. None of the commands/modules worked reliably. I get the error several times a day from both timer commands and when manually running from the AHP application.

I did notice that one of the new items under the RF Macro commands was somehting for an IR command. I'm assuming that is for some kind of Infrared device. In anycase, I'm bck to 3.228, hoping at least the minimal set of timers and modules I've got set up will work. This whole experience seems so unprofessional.  :-\

ttfn

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2010, 06:21:50 AM »

Did X10 in the USA give you 3.271 or did you find it on an International site?

Dumpster

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2010, 10:50:31 AM »

I'm not sure. When I ordered the SW the link in the email didn't work. When I complained, they sent me the downloader as an attachment. When I ran it the first time it installed 3.267. The next time I got 3.271. As far as I can tell, the emails, orders, etc. were all from X10.com in the USA.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2010, 01:54:57 PM »

Thanks for the information.
I don't believe 3.267 or 3.271 are in the publicly accessable FTP site, but I may go take a look.  ;D

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2010, 07:25:47 PM »

I'm not sure. When I ordered the SW the link in the email didn't work. When I complained, they sent me the downloader as an attachment. When I ran it the first time it installed 3.267. The next time I got 3.271. As far as I can tell, the emails, orders, etc. were all from X10.com in the USA.

Can you e-mail me the downloader so I can see it, it is very unusual for X10USA to do that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.