Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can NOT Control LM465  (Read 3472 times)

dhoneycutt

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Can NOT Control LM465
« on: June 24, 2010, 01:35:28 AM »

Hello,
I have several LM465 lamp dimmer modules in my system and all work properly, except for one and only in one outlet.  I have tried the LM in other outlets and it works properly, with the same lamp.  I have checked to see if the branch circuit was on a different phase from my CM15A and found that it was.  Changing the cirucuit to the same phase made no difference.  Standard incandescant lamps only on the branch circuit, no computers, AV equipment, ... nothing unusual.  I don't know what to try next.  Please help if you have ideas.
Thank you,
David

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Can NOT Control LM465
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 07:24:07 AM »

If your LM465 won't work on one outlet only that is on a different phase and you are are sure that there is nothing else on that phase that's a noise producer, and you really want to use a LM465 there, then you need some type of phase coupler.   Your house's electric system is weird as to electric phases, just one room. Usually phases are set up that half the house is on one phase and the other half is on the other phase. 
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

dhoneycutt

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 10:14:04 AM »

Thanks Dan for the reply.  I did change the circuit that will not operate the LM465 to the same phase as all of my X10 modules.  Still, the LM465 refuses to see the commands.  I am at my wits end.
Thanks,
David

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 10:22:41 AM »

Maybe the outlet has a low signal.
Have you tried a different LM465 in the same outlet in case the original has less sensitivity than most do.
You could also, as a test, try the original module on a different address in the outlet.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 11:07:38 AM »

If that LM465 is a long run from your distribution panel, you may indeed have a problem with signal levels.  Or it is possible the LM465 might be slightly mistuned, and has lower sensitivity than your other LM465s.  You might try swapping your LM465s to find one with higher sensitivity.

Also, be sure you actually do have that circuit on the same phase as your CM15A.  Panels normally alternate phases one above the other, but some zig-zag across the panel, and others go straight across.

While you have incandescent lights and no computers or AV equipment on that circuit, something as simple as a cellphone charger can cause serious problems.  Unplug anything other than standard incandescent lights and see if that helps.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 11:27:01 AM »

Changing the cirucuit to the same phase made no difference. 

I'm curious to know more about how you did that?
Open the panel and rewire the one circuit?
Just curious.

There are outlets in my house that just cannot be seen by my CM11A.  Sometimes, its the upper outlet in one spot, while the lower one works!  Go figure.

About 6 months ago, I added a new outlet in the house, and on a lark plugged in the old CM11A that hadn't been plugged in, in years!
Much to my surprise, I had a much, much, larger span of control that ever before. I could now control just about any outlet in the house.

My point is, if it's an option, you might try moving the CM15A or CM11A (or whatever controller you're using) and see if you can gain better control coverage.

dhoneycutt

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 07:57:09 PM »

Great ideas everyone.  More experimenting to do.  If my problem is signal level, is there a way to amplify the signal?

pconroy:  Yes, just as you described.  Swapped my lamp circuit with one that was on the phase that I needed - in the panel.

Thanks again to everyone,
David

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 08:11:53 PM »

One other question:  Do you have an electric stove?   They are all 220 volts.  You can apply a cheap captivator across the contacts in the box the stove plugs into.  The proper MF of the captivator is something an electronics store can help you with.   The captivator passes the X10 signals between the phases, the stove never knows it's there.  My old X10 dealer in Baltimore (now out of business) used to sell the right MF captivators rather cheap, I used the trick years ago (CP290 days) to connect my house's phases.

I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 08:23:29 PM »

A .1uf capacitor is the value.
I highly recommend if you try a capacitor. Get one rated for across AC Power Line use. Type X2 {Across power line}
275 volts AC. Some dealers sell a standard 400 or 600 DC volt capacitor. Some can fail if across the power lines.

Some tune the circuit by adding an 18uH coil in series with the capacitor.

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 05:57:18 PM »

If my problem is signal level, is there a way to amplify the signal?

David,
Others will correct me if I'm wrong but I think  http://jvde.us/xtb/xtb_description.htm is a signal booster.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 09:04:10 PM »

David,
Others will correct me if I'm wrong but I think  http://jvde.us/xtb/xtb_description.htm is a signal booster.
http://jvde.us//xtb/XTB-IIR_description.htm
This one from the same firm amplifies AND couples to the other phase so kills two birds with one stone.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

evadorev

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 10:16:13 AM »

just try to redo all the junctions of the electrical circuit on, just a loose screw or marrette can cause arcing and by the way enough noise to blast an entire house wiring.

It maybe the cause of the problem, if the module works on the others circuits on the same phase.

the first test to do is what the other guys said before trying to swap the modules to see if the problem is associated with the module or the circuit.

Hope it will help
Mary had a little lamp, little lamp, controlled by X10 !!!! (kid song!!)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.