Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: question on these cameras  (Read 10101 times)

bigb73

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
question on these cameras
« on: July 05, 2010, 08:22:55 PM »

hello im new here. names is Brian :) I was wondering if these low light cameras work with an infra red light. i found one online and was wondering before i order one if it would work. i chatted with the x10 staff but they said they never tested there cameras with IR. has anyone here tried it?

thanks

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: question on these cameras
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 08:37:45 PM »

No.
In fact, most X10 cameras incorporate IR filters. Suggest you search this forum for "infrared". Some uses have removed the IR filters to improve low light sensitivity.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

bigb73

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 08:47:57 PM »

well that basically sucks! i didn't get them yet (probably by tomorrow) I sure hope im happy with them. especially after farther looking online finding cams that have IR. 48 IR lights on them!

my order consists of 3 low light cams, 3 pan and tilts, 3 motion sensors,  and that pc software to watch my cams online.

So for the people with experience with these cams, will I like them?

ITguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 09:50:05 PM »

So for the people with experience with these cams, will I like them?
Probably not!  As the not-so-proud owner of four of them, I think you'll be disappointed!  Biggest problem is that you will not be able to see the image of more than one camera at a time.  You can switch between them, but not see all four at once.  Search the forums for references.  You can make these work, but at best the picture quality is only OK.

I'd call for an R/A as soon as you get them, then invest in some P/T/Z (pan, tilt, zoom) or just P/T I.P. cameras.  Wired kind if you have easy access to run ethernet cable, wireless if you don't.

ITguy

bigb73

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 11:26:01 PM »

Sorry but what is R/A? and Are there any other opinions here?

bigb73

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 11:56:20 PM »

I'm not to worried about being able to view all cams at once, but are there any other complete cam systems online that offer 3 Or more cams for just over $200? With pan and tilt. If so please link me!

Some more questions...... What the battery life on the motion sensors? If u can only view 1 cam at a time are the others still recording?

Thanks again!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 06:18:42 AM »

R/A Return Authorization.

Only one wireless camera and pan and tilt base can be On at a time. They come with a X10 addressable power supply. You put all of them on the same House Code and a group of four Unit Codes. 1-4;5-8;9-12 and 13-16. If your software or remote sends an On to one of the four of the group The other three go off.

If more than one is On. They will interfere with each other and all the pan and tilt bases that are On will move.

Also you didn't tell us the model of the motion sensors. They have a dusk dawn sensor in them. So if you use lets say C1 for motion detection. A C2 On will be sent at dusk and a C2 Off at dawn. This could turn the next camera in the group On and Off. The Active Eye motion sensor can be set to ignore dusk dawn.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 06:37:30 AM by Brian H »

bigb73

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 09:14:26 AM »

So what your telling me is all three cameras aren't recording at one time. Which explains why each motion sensor triggers each camera on and off. so what if 2 people walk by a motion sensor at the same time?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 09:53:50 AM »

Well if two are triggered at the exact same time. I would say they may step on each other and nothing may change.

If one is slightly later you probably would get the last one triggered.

I don't have a wireless multi-camera setup so we may get feedback from an actual user.

Have any of them gone on or off at dusk and dawn?

bigb73

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 11:22:16 AM »

I didn't get them yet. Should arrived today. I have a feeling these will not make me happy and will not be what I was looking for. We shall see

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 01:26:42 PM »

I echo all of the sentiment already said, with the additional caveat that "low light" X10 cameras don't show much of a picture in low light.

I have converted one to IR sensitive by removing the IR filter from the lens.  I have since read on here that the IR filter is more incorporated into the lens now, and much more difficult to remove.  Others have also posted that removing the IR filter ruins the picture quality in bright sunlight.

All that said, if you want an inexpensive system that shows one camera at a time, and you're pretty handy, and you have a computer to dedicate running Windows XP, this is the product for you, when you catch a 'special'.  My favorite is the 4 low-light cameras with the PC control / software package for $129.  http://www.x10.com/promotions/xx20a_ed_3cam_1m_promo.html

Good Luck  ;D
>!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 08:57:13 PM »

I didn't get them yet. Should arrived today. I have a feeling these will not make me happy and will not be what I was looking for. We shall see
When one considers how cheap X10 cameras and automation equipment is, it really works pretty well. You just can't expect Lexus features when paying for a KIA. If you need all four cameras recording, you will need hard wired cameras and either a "quad unit" or a four input video board for your computer. Probably should look at some of the small CCTV systems available at Sam's Club, Costco, etc.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.