Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Motion flood light alternatives??  (Read 3826 times)

madmmac

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Motion flood light alternatives??
« on: June 26, 2010, 07:20:13 AM »

Is there anything available that I can use with my existing carriage lights that have motion sensors already in them to use other X10 equipment?

I don't think my HOA allows for floodlights.  I would love to use the functionality of what the X10 floodlight can do turning on other lights and such.

Thanks, madmmac

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
Re: Motion flood light alternatives??
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 08:35:50 AM »

Could you mount X10 motion sensors and have them control wall switch modules?

The Eagleeye type of motion sensor is very small and versatile.  That could trigger lamp modules, appliance modules or wall switches that would turn on lights, appliances, etc.  It could trigger on motion, motion only at night, or simply turn something on at dusk and off at dawn.

In your scenario, having a small eagleeye sensor outside could trigger a wall switch module to turn on your carriage lights.  It would require the MS-14 motion sensor, a TM-751 or equivalent, and a wall switch module - I like the XPS-3 so you can use fluorescent bulbs.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 08:38:02 AM by nybuck »
>!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 11:58:48 AM »

Is there anything available that I can use with my existing carriage lights that have motion sensors already in them to use other X10 equipment?

There is [almost] ALWAYS a way!

The Eagleeye type of motion sensor is very small and versatile.  That could trigger lamp modules, appliance modules or wall switches that would turn on lights, appliances, etc. 

You might be able to place an eye sensor in the carriage lamp. Then when the motion sensor turns the light on in the lamp... it will trigger the dusk/dawn sensor built into the eye sensor. That would hide your X10 from the association... and still give you a heads up inside when motion is detected in the driveway at night.

There are other methods to detect current useage. I use a TrickleSaver and a PowerFlash module to detect that my TV is on.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 02:01:09 PM »

You could disconnect the motion sensor in the carriage light, take the motion unit off of the floodlights (that's what I did) and use the X10 motion unit as a stand alone.  Then put the carriage lights (sans their onboard motion unit) on an X10 wall switch.  The X10 Unit doesn't even have to be in the same location as the carriage lamps.

If the old Carriage lights were the two stage kind (dim at dusk, full bright on motion) a macro can be designed in the CM15A to re-create this effect.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

madmmac

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 03:50:07 PM »

I really am not a fan of battery operated equipment.  How long do the battery operated motion sensors last?  

I wonder if it possible to just remove the controller part of the PR511 and hard wire it and try to discreetly mount it up under the eave?  

Does it trigger other equipment by the voltage spike when it turns the lights on, or are does it trigger other X10 modules by the IR detection.

Thank, madmmac

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 04:55:07 PM »

I really am not a fan of battery operated equipment.  How long do the battery operated motion sensors last?  

I wonder if it possible to just remove the controller part of the PR511 and hard wire it and try to discreetly mount it up under the eave?  

Does it trigger other equipment by the voltage spike when it turns the lights on, or are does it trigger other X10 modules by the IR detection.

Thank, madmmac
Quality batteries 6mo-1yr. I mount a 2 D cell battery holder on back of my xxxxEye motion sensors which makes them very portable. The battery holder acts as a stand. Service is well over a year outdoors usiung D cells, but most users get a year outdoor service using high quality batteries. Indoor service will be more.

Yes the PR511 can be seperate from the flood light holders.

Voltage spike???

The PR511 sends out X10 "House Code- Unit Code ON" when it detects motion. After a preset period of no motion, it sends "HC-UC OFF"
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.