Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: VA12A and Windows 7- The USB Killer  (Read 102154 times)

survey_sez

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
VA12A and Windows 7- The USB Killer
« on: July 04, 2010, 08:55:17 PM »

I think I might have made a sad discovery; the va12a driver when running on a windows 7 computer will kill at least part of the usb interface functionality.

symptoms:

1) installing the va12a - now i have to boot my pc a couple of times before my usb mouse works

2) my cm15a no longer responds to ahp commands

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
Re: VA12A and Windows 7- The USB Killer
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 10:51:21 AM »

Well, at least the installation of the VA12A drivers into your Windows 7 does something (albeit bad)!!!!!!  I've had no luck in installing the VA12A drivers into my Windows 7 (64 bit) PC.  I get the message that the installation failed.  Although I can look in my Device Manager under Sound, video and game controllers and see the VA12A.  But no video (using iWatchout) from my cameras.  All of which worked fine on my XP computer.

Are able to get video from your cameras?

survey_sez

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 08:02:08 PM »

all works fine with ahp now. before i went to bed last night i took a look at device manager and saw an "unknown device" listed under usb devices, which had a yellow question mark next to it. i right clicked it and deleted it. shut down computer and went to bed. next morning everything ()including mouse) booted up fine. the "unknown device" is no longer present - so maybe this problem is fixed. time will tell. i'll post back if it re-appears, or if the mouse problem happens again..

yes don n - video works as it should using ahp - but not with vanguard (see my other thread). try this to get the va12a to install:

Go to Device Manage; Start, and then Settings, and click on Control Panel. Open up System Control Panel (in the Performance and Maintenance category). Go to the Hardware Tab and click on the Device Manager button. Next, look for the Sound, Video, and Game Controllers category. If you see "X10 VA12A Video Capture" with an exclamation point, right-click on it and select Update Driver. If it asks you to connect to Microsoft, select "No, not at this time." then click Next. Next, choose to "Install from a list or a specific location." Check "Include this location in the search" then click Browse. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\x10\DriverInstall\VA12A Video Capture\, then go into the appropriate folder for your version of Windows- use Vista32 or Vista64 for 7. Click OK, then Next. Windows will install the drivers.

Don N

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 01:23:27 PM »

Thank you survey_sez for your suggestion

I had returned my original VA12A (as suggested by X10) because they said it may have been defective.  I received a new VA12A replacement yesterday and this one does not work either.

I tried your (survey_sez) method again and the results are still the same.  The exclamation point is still there.  The message says "Windows has determined the driver software is up to date."
Perhaps there is something else wrong, but I don't know what.  The cameras worked fine in my old XP PC.  And the cameras work fine when viewed via my TV when connected through the
VR42A Wireless Audio/Video Receiver.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 06:12:07 PM »

Don N

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 07:36:35 PM »

Yes, I saw that Brian.  Thanks  It's basically the same info that survey_sez provided.

survey_sez

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 10:26:03 PM »

i finally returned my va12a as it continued to interfere with the usb mouse upon cold boot from time to time. i decided that the x10 camera system was simply not worth the aggrivation on my windows 7 computer. it's a shame that x10 puts so little effort into developing up-to-date softwareand drivers, yet they will spend way to much time developing pretty adds that fill my inbox sometimes twice a day!

Don N

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 10:35:06 AM »

Well, I'm getting to that same point.  I cannot get the cameras to work at all.

Survey_sez -- At least you got the cameras to work.  I'm wondering if the difference between your results and my results are the fact that you are using the Vanguard software and I'm using the iWatchout software.

I wonder if anyone else has gotten the cameras to work on a Windows 7 64-bit PC.

chill

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 03:13:36 PM »

I can help on this subject (I think)!
I had the most trouble setting up this device. Unknown device no matter what I tried and I got way into troubleshooting probably 4 hrs total. Then I surmized teh only thing that could be wrong was power requirements. I plugged a powered USB hub into my PC port and faster than you can say V-A-12-A it was installed. Try a powered hub if your having any trouble with that device!
CHill

Thank you survey_sez for your suggestion

I had returned my original VA12A (as suggested by X10) because they said it may have been defective.  I received a new VA12A replacement yesterday and this one does not work either.

I tried your (survey_sez) method again and the results are still the same.  The exclamation point is still there.  The message says "Windows has determined the driver software is up to date."
Perhaps there is something else wrong, but I don't know what.  The cameras worked fine in my old XP PC.  And the cameras work fine when viewed via my TV when connected through the
VR42A Wireless Audio/Video Receiver.

narual

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 02:29:56 PM »

It worked for me on a Win7 64 bit... once.

Then I shut down the computer for a couple of days, and haven't been able to get it to work yet. It just launches and hangs with an empty screen.

I even tried installing XP mode and running it from there, but in XP mode, it complains that it won't work without the VA12A plugged in, but I've got it plugged in and attached it to the virtual XP instance. Weird.
Haven't tried the powered USB hub, but I guess it can't hurt to, if I can find one here somewhere.

Are there any mac apps for the VA12A? My other computer is a mac.

Don N

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 09:12:13 PM »

Don't know if this will help in your situation or not but see how I solved my problem with Windows 7 and the VA12A

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=21115.15

wasswagler

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 10:37:50 PM »

i finally returned my va12a as it continued to interfere with the usb mouse upon cold boot from time to time. i decided that the x10 camera system was simply not worth the aggrivation on my windows 7 computer. it's a shame that x10 puts so little effort into developing up-to-date softwareand drivers, yet they will spend way to much time developing pretty adds that fill my inbox sometimes twice a day!

i want to just return this.  i'v try'd everything. camera works great.  its real nice on my computer.  but can't video, snap a picture or anything..  Can't get it to play back on Vista.  said i had a video but no way to play it. can't focus.  cant zoom.  went to the internet where it was suppose to be but it wont downlaod. i'm so sad.  it should work. i wonder how many years it would take to get my money back.....hhhhmmmmm. three days is long enough time into setting this up i give >*< >!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 06:21:22 AM »

wasswagler; You can't remotely focus the cameras you referenced in you other post.
Do you have the pan and tilt base? if not you can't do that either.

I believe the VA12A is known as a power hog and like to be on a computers port directly or a powered hub sometimes works.

wasswagler

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 08:33:08 PM »

yeah your right i can't focus directly.  or anything else.  so whats the big dael with this. 99 bucks and i can go to wally world and get one for 25 bucks that works a lot better.
in its favor/
1. remote can move the camera around. right now its 25 feet awy looking at the mountian. kind of nice if it would stop flicking.
2. same as above
3. same as above.
why sell people stuff that needs lot more stuff to make it work.  cant use the motion detector becuase i need the plug ins for the light.  cant use the wireless censuer thingy becuase it works with the light sensor. 
cant take picture because they won't download to my computer or video's.  and it flickers all the time. i guess i dumb when it comes to these thingy's >*<

Dragnet

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 03:25:22 PM »

I just bought the wireless quad cam  USB/DVR surveillance system & I was sent the Vanguard ICC software
That was 3 days ago & since then I've installed the program 3 times in my Dell desk-top running Windows 7, but it will not install the drivers for my VA12A.....
I installed the software on a laptop running Windows XP & it worked fine, I went as far as getting a camera to transmit a signal to the laptop,  but I didn't want to go any farther since I need it installed on my desktop with the Windows 7...
Before I had the Motorola Home sight Surveillance system, but had to get rid of it since it was not compatible with the Windows 7........
I bought this system after X 10 advised that it would work with windows 7, which it apparently does not........not with this software anyway's......
Any advice B:(
PS, I've been reading on here & on other forums  for the last 3 days & have tried most everything that you guys have suggested to each other, with no avail.
Ozzy
Dragrazor@gmail.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.