Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: X10 Support  (Read 27283 times)

itsmevic

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 Support
« on: July 13, 2010, 10:53:31 AM »

Ok let me be clear about one thing, I've used X10 products in the past and absolutely love them.  I think the company has a real solution here and I have no problem saying that I'm pleased with their products.  However...and that's a big HOWEVER, I am not pleased with the level of customer support I've experienced in my latest purchase of X10 products.   I along with many of you do not like to being spoken to like your an idiot by an unhappy X10 technical support representative.  I do not blame the representative, I blame management because if they were actually monitoring the calls and had some sort of protocol in place that ensured a successful customer experience, I wouldn't of experienced what I did yesterday.   The rep sets the tone for the conversation from the first word to the last and for someone to come off so arrogantly and so unprofessional...well, in my opinion that was piss poor.  If management doesn't care, the reps aren't going to care and it just goes on down the line from there.  One successful outcome here or there doesn't constitute great customer service.  I've called in many times before to other companies that offer technical support and have always gotten a consistent level of support, this tells me that their management is on track and on top of things.  The fact that X10 management (All of them) were to busy to talk to me and did not provide me with a callback as promised tells me many things about this company and the way it is ran now.  For the rep to tell me she is to busy to talk to me or not to take interest in the conversation or at that matter even listen to the basic issues I'm having tells me a lot as well.  I LIKE THE PRODUCTS, BUT WILL TELL YOU X10 SUPPORT BY FAR IS THE WORST YOUR EVER GOING TO EXPERIENCE.  PERIOD.

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
Re: X10 Support
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 12:10:18 PM »

I think we should consider X-10 in the same vein as  we do Open Source, Community Supported products.

birdzeye

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 01:58:20 PM »

I think we should consider X-10 in the same vein as  we do Open Source, Community Supported products.

Umm...my experience with "Open Source" has always been top notch, and far superior to any private-for-profit company's "support".

As for X-10, I'm not sure if a comparison to Open Source would be appropriate.

itsmevic

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 02:20:44 PM »

Umm...my experience with "Open Source" has always been top notch, and far superior to any private-for-profit company's "support".

Well I think with open source you have a genuine desire to enhance or to promote the product at hand.  X10 is "For Profit" therefore I think in the realm of customer support or experience in dealing with them should always be top notch, but it's not.  In a perfect world, support should always give you that warm and fuzzy that you look for when you call in.  I understand though nothing is perfect, however measure's can be taken to ensure a persons experience when needing help is close to that.   If I would of been managing the their helpdesk, the rep I spoke to yesterday would of been looking for work today period.  My two cents. 

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 06:33:25 PM »

I too have had good success with open source stuff.  A difference between open source stuff and X10 is that X10 is selling a product for a profit.  Much if not all of the open source stuff out there is either free or by donation.  Open source developers generally welcome comments and criticisms on their stuff so that they can improve it.  I am sure they are not going to cop an attitude like itsmevic  got with his support call.

The only thing I have purchased directly from X10 was my CM15A as I needed the activation codes from them to run AHP.  Pretty much all of my other equipment that I purchased was from ebay auctions or other vendors that sell X10 stuff.  A big reason for that is that I have heard too many horror stories from people on here about orders and support from X10. If I need support on something, I come and ask this vast community of awesome NON X10 EMPLOYED support professionals in this forum.  These are the people that use the stuff and KNOW how it works.  They are not a bunch of people that have read some piece of paper saying how it is SUPPOSED to work and not having a clue as to how to give REAL support for it.

I praise all the professionals on here for the information I have been able to pick off their brain cells.  I too try to give back to this community what I can. 
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 07:54:40 PM »

Vic,

The forum is here for you.  Maybe we can help you out.  I think the volunteers at the forum know more than X10 tech anyway.

KDR even has a chat: www.bdshost.com/ac where we hang out every evening during the week, and we love solving problems.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

neo11

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
  • Bitbucket sinkhole
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 08:29:21 PM »

One note on that. Open source developers don't usually work on things the manufacturer has
threatening licensing terms on (Powerlinc II for example)  :( I don't understand why X-10 is so
hostile to open source developers. It's not like they are protecting state secrets. they got it from
somewhere else no? Hell AMD even works with the open source community.
Working  -:)

itsmevic

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »

Vic,

The forum is here for you.  Maybe we can help you out.  I think the volunteers at the forum know more than X10 tech anyway.

KDR even has a chat: www.bdshost.com/ac where we hang out every evening during the week, and we love solving problems.

Hi Knightrider,  Thanks for your comment.  I've decided I'm just going to return and hope I get a refund...doubtful from what I've read.  I've decided to go with Logitech's Home Security System instead.  I've spent to much time, uninstalling drivers, reinstalling drivers, rebooting, trying every house code, relocated the receiver, relocated the cameras, positioning the RF pads in every single direction, turning off all 2.4gHz devices in the area, relocated the host machine to the furthiest end of the house to avoid interference, trying every single usb port, unplugging all usb devices and individually trying each usb port, tried on hub, tried installing on different desktop in house...I'm really at my patients end with this... 

pconroy

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 11:23:50 AM »

Sorry - I shouldn't have said Open Source, and just left it as Community Supported.

By that I mean, and correct me where I'm wrong:
- X10 employees used to actively participate in this forum, they don't now
- X10 corporate support appears to stop at paying for this forum
- Moderation is done by volunteers, not X10 employees
- Support is done by volunteers, not X10 employees

Since I've joined, I've seen half a dozen people post, expecting an official, company endorsed, employee authored response.

Maybe there should be a "Nota Bene" at the front door.   :)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 12:52:50 PM »

Considering how inexpensive X10 devices are, do you think there is really anything in their budget for X10 sponsored support?

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

itsmevic

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 01:54:33 PM »

Considering how inexpensive X10 devices are, do you think there is really anything in their budget for X10 sponsored support?

Jeff

When you consider the shear volume of products sold by them on a global basis, why yes, I do expect sponsored support.  Someone within the X10 brass made the wrong call obviously with the way they run technical management and over-all support of their products.  That's a no brainer.

pconroy

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 05:05:26 PM »

Jeff

No I don't - but I don't think the cost of the devices have a direct bearing.
I do think revenues are tight, and their 3 year projections are dire.

I understand they need to trim.
Manage OpEx closely.
Trimming support is always a tricky beast.

But there are ways to reduce the support costs - without eliminating it.
I'm not sure whether they explored those options, or if conditions are just so bad, or if they believe what they're doing is "just fine" and nothing's wrong.

Personally, I think I came back to X-10 eyes wide open and expecting no corporate support, so my expectations are just fine!    :)

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 05:38:04 PM »

Jeff

I want to know how many members of X10's TS actually use these products in their homes.  You can read manuals and search the net all you want, but IMHO, experience is the key.

I'd almost venture to say that my wife could provide better support by sometimes simply saying "I don't know, let me find out for you."

From what I've read here (granted my knowledge is very biased), some calls to X10 TS result in them telling the caller "TS", which is way not good.

I think one of the perks of working at X10 should be a showering of all the available toys, and a requirement of maintaining said employment should be a willingness to actually use the toys.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

itsmevic

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 05:38:27 PM »

Jeff

No I don't - but I don't think the cost of the devices have a direct bearing.
I do think revenues are tight, and their 3 year projections are dire.

I understand they need to trim.
Manage OpEx closely.
Trimming support is always a tricky beast.

But there are ways to reduce the support costs - without eliminating it.
I'm not sure whether they explored those options, or if conditions are just so bad, or if they believe what they're doing is "just fine" and nothing's wrong.

Personally, I think I came back to X-10 eyes wide open and expecting no corporate support, so my expectations are just fine!    :)

Expectations are fine until the moment you actually need to call in and get support...After that experience, then post again.  I have a feeling your going to change you mind.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 06:17:53 PM »

Most happy folks don't pass on their experiences, but we do see "I got Great X10 Support When I Called" messages. From time to time.

Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.