Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: IR Commander UX17A and ActiveHome - NOT  (Read 16490 times)

Dumpster

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
IR Commander UX17A and ActiveHome - NOT
« on: July 14, 2010, 12:01:25 AM »

The ad says - Already got AHP? Add IR commander and take control of ... blah, blah, blah.
So, I order the IR Commander UX17A and on arrival, find there is no documentation about how to program (teach) the device to send codes. ??? I've searched the software and downloads areas and have found nothing about how to use AHP with the UX17A.

Yes, AHP can send IR commands OK through the new RF commands section for macros, but w/o being able to program the UX17A, it is all useless.

Does anyone have any idea on how to program (teach) the UX17A to send commands?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: IR Commander UX17A and ActiveHome - NOT
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 06:17:08 AM »

All I could find is this and it was for the originally used CM17A Firecracker RF sender. The latest AHP from what you have indicated can also now control a UX17A.

ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/ux17a-is.pdf

Softaware I don't think it applies for you.
Left the links for reference.  ;D
I downloaded the version for the UX17A and ran it. The help file was not much assistance and the software didn't run with a .DLL error  >*<
http://www.x10.com/commander.htm
http://www.x10.com/cmdr_revision.htm
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 08:28:02 AM by Brian H »

Dumpster

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 09:52:37 AM »

Yes, I found some old software from 2001 :P but did not install it since I found messages in the forum suggesting that it wouldn't work on the same machine as AHP.

I did find a new module in the new AHP software for the UX17A. It has some brief, rather cryptic instructions that I'm going to try to decipher and see if this is how one can get the device to work. http://www.x10.com/promotions/sw31a_ed_ir_0628_v2.html

One hint discovered  -:) Hopefully there are more so I can figure out how to make it work.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 10:57:09 AM »

Yes as more purchase the package deal or add a UX17A to their setup. More clues should be found.
Maybe X10 will even post some added stuff in the wiki or the instructions page.

petees

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 05:00:38 AM »

I just bought this unit and have no idea how to set it up as the software will not load (dll error) luckly the unit was cheap. Will watch this forum in case some one figures out how to run it.

Dumpster

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 08:51:58 PM »

From what I've read elsewhere, the old commander software won't run with AHP installed; that might be the cause of your DLL error. Also, make sure you download version 2.0.0.27. The others apparently won't work with the UX17A. I am not trying to use the commander software since the UX17A is supposed to work with AHP.

Now, having said that, I've tried to get this device to work through AHP with no success at all.
First, to setup the module, you select the device type and mine (Vizio TV) isn't in the list.  :(
So, I tried to setup for my cable box, then my VCR. Nothing worked. B:(

Here's an example of what I did for the VCR in AHP.
0. I open the activity monitor in AHP (F2 key) and clear the window
1. Drag the UX17A to my 'room' and drop it
2. It doesn't have the right ID, so I close it and change the ID from M (my default) to I.
3. Click the setup on the new UX17A module
4. Select VCR as the device, VCR for the radio button, and Toshiba for the brand
5. I apply power to the UX17A and the LED begins to blink
6. I click the configure button
7. The LED stops its steady blinking followed by an series of more blinks that correspond with codes displayed in the activity monitor
8. The VCR power status does not change
9. I click the configure button again, watching the codes that are sent, seeing the LED blink, but nothing happens with the VCR
10. I repeat step 9 until all codes are sent for the VCR

I've done this for both my cable box and VCR with the same results

webdancer

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 10:29:46 AM »

Hello All.

I also purchased the UX17A from an ad page where it was being sold with AHP. Given they are pushing this as an AHP add-on, the lack of documentation/support is horrible.

After installing the module in AHP v3.271, I set up the emitters so that there was one in front of each device and then I followed the directions on the module setup screen. I went through all the codes for my Panasonic VCR (that has been successfully controlled by various x10 remotes for over 10 years) without success. Then I power cycled the UX17A and started over selecting the specific device, but selecting “All Manufacturers” as the brand. Then I settled in for a mouse-clicking marathon and finally found codes that control my devices (the code for my VCR is device: TV/code: 161 <sigh>).

I performed a little test by setting a timer for the UX17A. At the appointed time AHP sent a signal that switched-on & -off my RR501 (which is set to A1 and controls a lamp). The TV didn’t power-off even though the code is correct.

I also don’t know how one would control multiple devices with the UX17A without going into the setup and changing the device each time.

Can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong?

P.S.  Dumpster, I also have a Vizio TV and “device: TV/ code: 017” works for me. There is at least one other code but I don’t know what it is because I stacked a bunch of coded to reach a specific one.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 05:16:49 PM »

Have you looked in the Edit Tab of AHP.
Add a new module choice.
Type of module Other.
RF to IR Converter Module

This is in 3.271 but it sure looks like the IR Commander UX17A.
After you add it. You get a configuration setup screen. Can also be started later with a Setup button on the IR Commander Icon
It then tell you to cycle the power to the IR Commander so it starts in the programming mode. If it is the first device being added.
Then there are a set of steps to add the device to the IR Commander.
There is a list of devices and manufactures. I have not looked enough to see if it could add unlisted devices.
Looks like each choice TV DVD etc. can have one four digit universal remote type code number.
This is all with me not having a unit to try so it my not be 100% correct.

My AHP 3.228 does NOT have the RF to IR Converter choice in the Other Module Type List.
VCR Commander and VCR Commander 2 are in both versions.
Looks like the RF to IR Converter Module was added in the later version.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 06:21:39 PM by Brian H »

webdancer

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 07:17:38 PM »

Brian,

I've already "successfully" added the UX17A to AHP and even managed to kludge it into allowing me to set  codes for my actual devices.

My issue now is how to get AHP actually control the module via timer/macro.

There is no settable module number, just an house code.

I performed a little test by setting a timer for the UX17A. At the appointed time AHP sent a signal that switched-on & -off my RR501 (which is set to A1 and controls a lamp). The TV didn’t power-off even though the code is correct.

I also don’t know how one would control multiple devices with the UX17A without going into the setup and changing the device each time.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 07:32:47 PM »

I was not sure you had found the UX17A as I found it by accident and only in 3.271.
Yes I see what you mean.
There does seem to be lots of issues.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 08:20:47 PM by Brian H »

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 12:20:46 PM »

I don't have one, so I cant test this, but from this link: ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/ux17a-is.pdf, it looks like you can set a housecode/Unit code by putting the unit into "learn" mode, and then sending the HC/UC with RF.

--Noam

Dumpster

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 12:06:19 PM »

A quick TY to all who have contributed to this thread.  #:)

I've been otherwise occupied and haven't had a chance to try any of the suggestions yet but hopefully I will have more time soon.

Thanks,
Terry

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.