Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Keypad door, telecom and electric lock/ door strike  (Read 15920 times)

xboxhaxorz

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Keypad door, telecom and electric lock/ door strike
« on: July 20, 2010, 07:53:00 AM »

I just got a new house so i was planning on installing this.

http://www.shoptronics.com/door-strike-rci11bs.html

But since i will be in the basement most of the time i will probably get this as it comes with everything.

http://www.amazon.com/SVAT-VIS300-7M2-Intercom-Surveillance-Mechanism/dp/B0036F9LCO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279614990&sr=8-2

Now i was just wondering if i could also control the door lock with the x10 system? Since the telecom only comes with a single video screen i would want to open the door if i am expecting somebody and say i am in the bedroom. If the adapters work with the door strike that is great.

I am also going to find out if i can use an additional monitor :)

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Keypad door, telecom and electric lock/ door strike
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 09:42:42 AM »

Probably not.   My son-in-law put a lock like that on his new front door, and it's a self-contained lock and keypad.  Since all standard doors usually open to the right, there would be no place for any X10 unit.    It's something on the "X10 wish list".
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

ITguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 10:33:17 AM »

I agree with Dan that you're probably not going to achieve what you want with the combo unit.  BUT, if you get just the doorstrike, you could "homebrew" your own by using a wireless I.P. camera that supports 2-way audio (you can both hear and answer) and an X10 "Universal Module" that you could trigger to apply 12 VDC and open the door.

Using the I.P. camera, you could view the video from any PC in the house (probably using software that comes with the camera)  and use an X10 PalmPad to send the unlock command.  If you had a wireless tablet PC (try eBay), you could even carry it with you around the house!  WARNING:  X10 RF products can have very short range, so you probably will have to deal with repeaters or antenna mods if you want whole-house coverage.

This certainly isn't a "plug 'n play" solution like the combo units, but it's more flexible.

ITguy     

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 10:43:45 AM »

If you would like to see the users manual for the complete kit:
http://www.svat.com/productDisplay.php?id=5034&categoryNumber=8&tabID=4

Looks like it can use the existing door bell wiring if you care to.

Has a separate output that opens the magnetic striker when the button is pushed.
Would require a added set of wires from the touch screen to the latch mechanism.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 11:07:34 AM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 01:52:23 PM »

Now i was just wondering if i could also control the door lock with the x10 system? Since the telecom only comes with a single video screen i would want to open the door if i am expecting somebody and say i am in the bedroom. If the adapters work with the door strike that is great.
Yes, X10 can be used to operate the striker mechanism if a separate (second) power supply can be used with out damaging the intercom unit. A 12V DC  wall wart output can be coupled to the striker through a X10 Universal Module in the momentary mode. The UM could be activated with a Key Chain remote, or a Palm Pad via a transceiver module like a TM751 or an X10 Pro PAT01.

HOWEVER! X10 RF and power line codes have no security, so at minimum, for security, you might want to use two X10 modules to control the 12V DC to the striker, each being on separate house codes and unit codes. That way two distinct, sequential X10 codes would be transmitted to activate the striker. The Universal Module could be plugged into an Appliance Module which would have to be activated first before the Universal Module could be activated.  Then the two House Codes Unit Codes would be sent OFF codes in the reverse order to turn both modules back off. This would almost require automation such as Active Home Pro and the CM15A.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 03:07:12 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 01:56:47 PM »

You could also use a PF284 Powerflash Module triggered by the striker voltage from the console. To send an X10 power line signal to the UM506 Universal Module controlling the striker. Also you could have added X10 senders or remotes in other parts of the house.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 03:09:10 PM »

You could also use a PF284 Powerflash Module triggered by the striker voltage from the console.

:)%  Good idea!

tybirdtybird

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 12:55:29 PM »

This might work also if you have iphone use X10 commander to unlock your doors with other remote. If your like me i alwas have my phone with me. would be cool if x10 would come out with iphone app where you can see video from your camera.

xboxhaxorz

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 11:34:48 PM »

I agree with Dan that you're probably not going to achieve what you want with the combo unit.  BUT, if you get just the doorstrike, you could "homebrew" your own by using a wireless I.P. camera that supports 2-way audio (you can both hear and answer) and an X10 "Universal Module" that you could trigger to apply 12 VDC and open the door.

Using the I.P. camera, you could view the video from any PC in the house (probably using software that comes with the camera)  and use an X10 PalmPad to send the unlock command.  If you had a wireless tablet PC (try eBay), you could even carry it with you around the house!  WARNING:  X10 RF products can have very short range, so you probably will have to deal with repeaters or antenna mods if you want whole-house coverage.

This certainly isn't a "plug 'n play" solution like the combo units, but it's more flexible.

ITguy     

So i am finally doing this. I was looking at foscam cameras, they say 2 way. How though can i respond to the person, if the microphone is on the camera? It doesnt mention anything about including an external microphone.

I have all the $$ and ready to buy, just want to make sure. The ideas on this forum have helped me make my choice. Currently have active home. Just got to get the door strike and module.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 09:10:58 AM »

So i am finally doing this. I was looking at foscam cameras, they say 2 way. How though can i respond to the person, if the microphone is on the camera? It doesnt mention anything about including an external microphone.
If the IP cam does not have a 2-way audio link with mike and speaker, then you will have to add something like a door intercom unit to talk back on, Or a powered speaker from your computer audio out. Wired or wireless. Or keep looking for a camera that does have 2-way audio.

stoney

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 02:05:38 PM »

Probably not.   My son-in-law put a lock like that on his new front door, and it's a self-contained lock and keypad.  Since all standard doors usually open to the right, there would be no place for any X10 unit.    It's something on the "X10 wish list".

Dan,

With all due respect, there is no "standard" for door openings. As one faces the door (as if about to unlock it from the outside), if the hinges are on the right side then it is known as a "Right Handed Door" and left side for "Left Handed Door". This is usually determined by the layout of the house by the architech and builder or even homeowner and access to certain areas inside.

I have seen exception to the doors opening inward in Florida years ago (and perhaps still). The doors opened outward! I was told to help keep the hurricane winds from blowing the door in so easily but I think the jury is still out on who was blowing smoke that day!

PS - My son is a builder.

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 06:36:35 PM »

X10 = theoretical 256 maximum variations.

These are not good odds for security.

This kind of locking arrangement will likely negate any household insurance you carry against theft from your property.

There are actually 4 hands of doors - Left Hand, Right Hand, Left Hand Reverse and Right Hand Reverse. Any hand of door can be controlled with some kind of access control mechanism, so can Dutch doors, barn doors and overhead doors. Point is, the handing of a door does not make it more or less difficult to control.

You could probably squeeze that electric strike from the link into your door frame and get it to release your door remotely but
a) it's too deep for a standard residential (or commercial) door frame so you'd have to cut out some studwork to make room for it (removed studwork = weakened structure), and
b) A standard residential entry lock has a feature which (when the lock is installed correctly) prevents the latch from being opened easily via the slip (or credit card) method. This electric strike will stop that feature from working correctly and the door will be very easy to slip open with no signs of forced entry.

Any form of access control should be considered a convenience feature and not a security device. You're getting closer to reasonable security of your X10 code if you do what Brian mentions with the doubled up modules, but that still won't protect against slipped entry methods, nor will it magically make your insurance company pay out when your 100" plasma TV is stolen with no signs of forced entry.

BTW, I know credit cards don't work very well for slip attack unless you're making a movie, but there are items out there that are much more common and much more effective :)

If you're not worried about home invasion, theft, burglary, or weakening of the structure then what you've picked out will work just fine :)
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

xboxhaxorz

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 08:22:25 PM »

If the IP cam does not have a 2-way audio link with mike and speaker, then you will have to add something like a door intercom unit to talk back on, Or a powered speaker from your computer audio out. Wired or wireless. Or keep looking for a camera that does have 2-way audio.

http://kintronics.blogspot.com/2007/05/using-ip-cameras-with-audio.html

I understand now. Hopefully with the foscam i can do that, if not i will look for a model that does. I did buy an intercom from HD http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047Z75XY/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002RL8ICC&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0B2AP12WN6CSZP2FA45F but it was horrible. I returned it. I have been looking for door intercoms for some time now but as far as wireless intercoms go there isnt much.

I think if i get an android tablet i could use that as my screen for the camera as well as connect a mic to talk.

I will do some more research on the electric door strike. I will talk with a home improvement guy as well and get their opinions on it for my specific house.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.