Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can I control a smart Macro through a switch?  (Read 3399 times)

icanrule

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Can I control a smart Macro through a switch?
« on: July 19, 2010, 03:18:37 PM »

Here is what I have got

SS13A - Wireless Switch (A8)
TM741 - Transceiver
CM15A - Computer Interface
LM15A - Socket Rocket (A5)

ActiveHome Pro Software

I am trying to get my switch to activate a smart Macro.  I have set the switch to A8 and I have also set the macro trigger to A8 in the on position.  I have set the Socket Rocket to A5. 

The macro when triggered sends an RF signal to A5 to turn on, then a delay for 10 minutes, then send an RF signal to turn off. 

When I run the macro manually from the activehome pro software the lights turns on then after 10 minutes turn off.  The switch does not seem to activate the macro.  When I set the switch to A5 it will only activate the Socket rock but not the smart macro. 

I also have a IR543.  When I send the command A5 on it turns on and at it turns off.  But when I send the A8 on or off the macro doesn't activate. 

I have the software set to monitor the A signal.  Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Can I control a smart Macro through a switch?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 03:29:53 PM »

Since both the TM751 and CM15A can receive the RF signal from the SS13A. Is there a reason why you are using the TM751? Like a range thing?

Also when you send an RF A5 AOn the TM751 maybe stepping on the power line A5 AOn signal I think the CM15A may also be sending. The TM751 is not polite and will blindly corrupt signals on the power line.

The LM15A is only controlled by a power line signal. From the CM15A or TM751 in your setup.

Can you post the macro so we can see what you have programmed it to?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 03:51:42 PM by Brian H »

icanrule

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 03:56:21 PM »

I'm not sure if it's a range issue.  For whatever reason when I don't have the TM751 plugged into an outlet the switch will not activate the rocket socket at all.  I doubt it's a range issue because the CM15A is on the 2nd flr and the TM751 is on the 3rd flr just above it. 

How do you want the Macro Posted.  Here is what I get from the Macro Report

Entertainment Light On A8 On (A5) (RF Command) ON
Delay for 10:00
(A5) (RF Command) OFF

It's a very simple macro.  When A8 On is triggered it triggers a A5 RF Command On, then delays for 10 minutes and then A5 rf command off.  I think the issue is with the trigger.  I can run the macro manually and it runs, but for some reason when I use the switch the computer doesn't detect the trigger.

Is it possible that the CM15A can't receive triggers?  I know it doesn't have any trouble sending the commands. 

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 05:34:17 PM »

I'm not sure if it's a range issue.  For whatever reason when I don't have the TM751 plugged into an outlet the switch will not activate the rocket socket at all.  I doubt it's a range issue because the CM15A is on the 2nd flr and the TM751 is on the 3rd flr just above it. 
Do you have a phase coupler in place?  Your socket rocket may be on the opposite phase from your CM15A, in which case you should couple the two phases so that the signal can reach both.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 05:40:41 PM »

The Socket Rocket is controlled by powerline commands and not RF, just send a regular A5 ON from the CM15A. Don't send it as a RF command.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

icanrule

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 11:56:27 PM »

I don't think I have a phase coupler in place.  I have 2 electrical boxes too, does that mean i will need to have everything coupled together? How much does it usually cost to have a coupler put in place or is it something i can do with little to no experience with electrical?   

It shouldn't be a problem with the Macro.  When I click on the macro manually in activehome pro it does turn the lights on for 10 minutes and then turned it off.  The only question is really getting the macro to react when I push the button on the switch. 

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 07:35:15 AM »

If you have a phase problem (most houses have 220 volts which is dropped to 110 volts , half the house is on one phase and half is on the other, plus things like ACs and electric water heaters and stoves run on 220 volts.

If X10 signals can't cross the phases, then some type of phase coupler is required.  I coupled my phases with a capacitor in the stove's outlet (the stove doesn't even know it's there) and other types of couplers are made.

If signals to modules don't make the lights go on even when the X10 signals are sent (a timer or macro), then you need a phase coupler.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.