Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Trouble with 3-way switch installation  (Read 2694 times)

JimWise

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Trouble with 3-way switch installation
« on: July 24, 2010, 04:41:36 PM »

I purchased three XPS3 XPSS sets to replace three existing 3-way switch setups in my house.  I only managed to get one of the three to work correctly since the wiring in both the Master and Slave boxes matched the X10Pro documentation.  I would appreciate any suggestions for how to handle my other two switch configurations.

Box 1: Works and follows X10Pro Documentation:

Box 1a - XPS3 Master (close to light socket)
Wire 1: Red to Control
Wire 2: Black switched leg to Load
Wire 3: White to Neutral
Wire 4: Black traveler wire to Line

Box 1b - XPSS Slave
Wire 1: Red to Switch
Wire 2: Black hot wire to top Live
Wire 3: Black traveler wire to bottom live

All three were pre-existing 3-way switches from when the house was built in 1975, but apparently 2 and 3 were wired differently than 1 for some reason.  They worked fine with standard 3-wire switches at both ends (no use of the white Neutral in the "a" boxes before), but I am unable to figure out how to wire them with the XPS3 master and XPSS slave x10 switches. Neither the Master nor the Slave boxes match up with the X10 documentation.

Box 2/3a - XPS3 Master (close to light socket)
Wire 1: Red to Control
Wire 2: Black switched leg to Load
Wire 3: White to Neutral
<<< Wire 4: Black HOT (NOT TRAVELER) wire to Line >>>

Box 2/3b - XPSS Slave (farther from light socket)
Wire 1: Red to Switch
<<< Wire 2: White dead wire to top Live (I do not know what this wire is, it enters the box from the same group sheathing as the red and black wires in the "b" box, NOT from a bundled Neutral pigtail since there isn't any in these boxes.  There is also an unused bare copper wire in these boxes but no hot wire.) >>>
Wire 3: Black traveler (at least I figure this must be the traveler) to bottom live

When wired as above, the Master switch works properly on its own, but the only ability of the Slave switch is to turn off the light if it was already on.  The Slave switch is dead if the light is off.

Thanks for any help and insight,
Jim Wise

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.