Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ninja Pan Speed  (Read 5969 times)

enauman

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Ninja Pan Speed
« on: August 01, 2010, 08:37:41 PM »

The pan speed of the ninja is so slow, it's practically useless for security purposes.  I can't even follow someone walking by my house on the sidewalk.  The motors are 3 phase steppers driven by a micro-controller.  It would be an easy thing for X10 to modify the control code to increase the step frequency.  The current pulse rate is about 16 Hz.  The motor manufacturer's data sheet says the upper limit is 100 Hz per phase.  They could conceivably up the scan rate 6 times it's current speed.  I have emailed them about this but get no response.  If there is a moderator out there lurking, can you address this issue for me.  I would even be willing to modify the code for free if I can get a copy of the source code.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Ninja Pan Speed
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 09:41:05 PM »

..... If there is a moderator out there lurking, can you address this issue for me. 

This is a community forum... even the moderators are just users... like yourself. Sometimes X10 staff read the forum... but I wouldn't leave it to chance.. (the odds aren't good).

If you pole around X10.com maybe you'll see the phone number and can call in with your idea. Your NOT the first to complain about the Ninja's... lack of speed.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 06:03:42 AM »

If you speed it up. There is a real good chance the gears will strip out. We occasionally see stripped gears with the present speed.

Probably not much chance of getting the source code from X10.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 09:28:41 AM by Brian H »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 08:59:07 AM »

I wonder what the motivation for X10, to make a faster Ninja would be. After all... I don't know of any similar priced pan-and-tilt bases... although many new cameras with that feature are now available. X10 does make the much faster (and costlier) VanGuard and Sentinel.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 09:13:30 AM »

I wounder which one is being pushed by the pop up of the day.
Last 50 in stock Pan;Tilt and Zoom Cameras Click here for a chat.  ;D

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.