Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An LED in Appliance Modules to indicate ON.  (Read 8014 times)

BoyntonStu

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
An LED in Appliance Modules to indicate ON.
« on: August 04, 2010, 06:12:51 PM »

Easy enough to do at the factory for a few cents.

A jury rig solution for us is to attach an LED and a resistor across the plug that goes into the AM.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: An LED in Appliance Modules to indicate ON.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 06:24:19 PM »

Would be a nice touch.

The OEM from X10 for Black and Decker. FWLROD Outdoor Lamp Module has an On Off LED. Though called a Lamp Module it acts; sounds and is rated like a appliance module in the middle of a 18" power extension cord.

The relay On Off sensor circuit will keep an LED partially glowing if you put one across the AC Output.
The older versions with Local Control Sensing will make them glow even brighter than the new version with just the relay On Off sensing circuit.
It is a common problem with those modules. They keep low wattage LEDs glowing at about half brightness.
We see many reports of glowing LEDs.
I have a whole box of assorted low wattage LED bulbs I use to test modules ability to turn them off completely.

If the load on the outlet was enough to swamp the sensing current. Then the external LED may work. The current is quite low so it would not take much of a load to do it. An LED Bulb alone does glow at about half brightness.

X10 is known to eliminate parts if it can save a penny and still function.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 07:36:45 PM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 07:19:30 PM »

A jury rig solution for us is to attach an LED and a resistor across the plug that goes into the AM.

Would also be nice if the appliance modules had a "local" control button like the RR501, but that would add to the cost, not take away...so we know that ain't gonna happen.

Sidebar: Ido had an Appliance Module modification to add a momentary button for local control. Has any tried it on the new AM (the one with the controller chip on the solder side of pc board) ?    ???

For your water control system, get the relays with the LEDs in them.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 07:33:31 PM »

I never looked that closely at one of my test subjects for possible local control switch connection.
Maybe a future project.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.