Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Where to purchase a Noise Filter  (Read 15906 times)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Where to purchase a Noise Filter
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 06:13:38 AM »

J.B
I loaded one with a 400 watt set of light bulbs as a test. In less than a half an hour. It was too warm in my opinion and opening it showed the coils forms had started to warp and melt.

J.B.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 06:30:50 AM »

I guess I've just been lucky so far.
Expecting an XTB-IIR in the next couple of days. Once installed, I may see how many of the XPPFs I can get away with removing.
Where several people seem to have heat issues with them, it's better to be safe.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 06:57:11 AM »

J.B; Well it could also be the average load through them. Some loads may not draw their maximum constantly.

lhntx

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 11:48:19 AM »

I have a power strip/surge protector in my living room that has A/V system, Tivo, Wii, Subwoofer, IR relay system, Internet signal relay system (goes through the wiring), and some assorted other things plugged into it, and another one in the back of the house (the same room as my x10 laptop system) that has p/c, lcd monitor, lamp, modem, printer, pc speakers, phone chargers plugged into it, and another in the middle of the house that has a landline phone power and iphone power chargers in it.   I was considering getting a 15amp filter for each strip to basically cover a whole bunch of bases at once.  Would that be OK, or would it be better to get a filter for each individual plugin?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 11:52:42 AM »

I would think filtering each strip as a whole would be fine.
I believe others here have done the same.
The only thing you may have to look at would be the Internet Relay System. If it is behind a filter. It is possible it may loose contact with the rest of its system units.

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 03:12:28 PM »

Ihntx,

would they happen to be on the same breaker?

If so, you could considering adding an XPF filter at the breaker panel to filter out that whole circuit for A/V and computer stuff.

lhntx

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2010, 05:49:05 PM »

It's been a while since I've posted.  I bought three filters and have tried them on various electrical products around the house thinking that I might find out which one is causing my x10 signals to not be received, but so far no luck. The only thing that I can't try it on is my LCD television because it is mounted on the wall, and there is no way that I'm going to unmount it to get to the plug.  I can never get all 4 of my cameras to switch on an off correctly. At most I can get 2 to work correctly, but mostly I have one that dominates the entire system and never will turn off (it's inside where the other two are outside).  That all said... it doesn't do me much good anyway because the AHP software will never run more than a couple of hours at most before it crashes and asks whether or not to send a report to microsoft.  There are no updates to the software. I'm running it on a recently purchased dedicated  B:(netbook with XP (bought specifically just to run this software). So if the software won't even run, then what is the point?  is there any other option out that other than AHP that will work with the x10 motion detectors and cameras and CM15a and all of the other EXTRA equipment that I've bought over the last six months just trying to get my simple 4 camera wireless system to have some remote possibility of actually working as advertised??? B:(

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2010, 06:26:18 PM »

frustrating huh?  well, seems most of us have got thru most of these issues.  the ahp software should run for months at a time for u as it does for a lot of us.  especially on xp!  u say u never updated.....if that's the case,  i'd bet a six pack of ur choice that if you updated to the latest 3.297 u would end up with a non crashing system. worth a try.

u sound in deep enough like most of us, to buy a signal watcher thing; I'.d tell u name of em but cant remember here on the couch right now....  but the cheap one that just has bar graph showing sig strength would probably be well worth the (iirc) $ 50 at this point?  then u can see effect (or lack thereof) of those filters etc.

finally, my experience with the x10 cameras has been they are not capable of switching between more than 2 on a system - reliably.  since the picture quality is so crude in my opinion I am not that worried about the cameras not switch well.  I spent the money on one good 1028x1200 or so HDTV camera (IP70 for $ 150) that came with decent software including motion detection, face detection, couple other detections, 2 way audio, optional wireless thing, and web server.

lhntx

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2010, 06:41:38 PM »

thanks for the tips. I'be been doing the 'check for updates" and always get that I'm current, but I see in about that I have v 3.271, I guess that the option to check for updates is incorrect.  I will try to find current version and see if that makes a difference. I don't drink, but this whole experience is caused me to seriously consider taking it up!  >!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2010, 07:24:42 PM »

I have 3.271 and check for updates. Says there are none.

anthonylavado

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
  • At a position relative to the observer.
    • anthonylavado.com
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2010, 08:01:05 PM »

Just as a note, when you visit http://www.x10.com/support/support_soft1.htm
You only need to download the one that says ActiveHome Pro. Ever since version 3.296, it will automatically update all the plug-ins you have installed.
Follow me on Twitter: @anthonylavado
Now making guest appearances in the Home Automation Chat Room

lhntx

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 06:10:02 PM »

I downloaded and updated AHP and all of the plugins. AHP has already crashed twice in less than 30 minutes... BUT for the first time I am actually getting emails about motion!!  That's a good sign and does give me some hope!

mike

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2010, 10:03:52 AM »

thanks for the tips. I'be been doing the 'check for updates" and always get that I'm current, but I see in about that I have v 3.271, I guess that the option to check for updates is incorrect. ............  >!

yup, link posted below ur post.  go get it.  the 3.296 does have some relevant fixes worth downloading.  note dusk/day/nite/ etc words still do not work for conditions.

lhntx

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2010, 10:31:37 AM »

I have the 3.296 installed, and it is still crashing every few hours.  I'm running a test right now to see if the issue might be with my screen saver (BOINC).  I'm turning it off.  I also now am getting the emails for remove viewing, but I can't figure out what to do after I click the link on the remote PC.  THe old vanguard had a procedure to follow, but I don't see any instructions on the AHP.  All that I get is a tiny box on the screen. Right clicking gives me nothing that will do anything.  thanks,

mike

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2010, 10:40:52 AM »

browser model?  google chrome does not work & Firefox doesnt either i believe (both of which I use).  IIRC u have to use internet explorer.  It is the only one I know of that will download the java or whatever script that is required and run this remote x10 thing.....
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.