Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Multi directional antenna modification  (Read 33775 times)

pantarra

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Multi directional antenna modification
« on: August 20, 2010, 05:26:09 PM »

I bought a antenna 2.4 thats for a router but im unsure if this antenna will work Ive included photo its slightly different. can I make the wire shorther? does the wire have to be coated like the original? I really hate to destroy a good cam and make a mistake. please help
i bought these antenna from ebay real cheap 5 for 10 bucks...http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=17116.0
thanks
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 07:41:37 PM by pantarra »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Multi directional antenna modification
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 07:43:10 PM »

I bought a antenna 2.4 thats for a router but im unsure if this antenna will work ............ I really hate to destroy a good cam and make a mistake. please help

Ive modified the antenna of one camera (as well as the Ninja its mounted on)... with good (although mixed) results. There is no guarantee that your... or ANY modification... will improve a devices performance. It is also possible that you could destroy a perfectly good camera. It is a risk that only you can decide to take or not.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

pantarra

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 08:04:56 PM »

Thank You Dave..does it matter that the replacemet antenna dosnt have the same wire coating? also the replacement has a little clip at the end will can I cut that off? ..any tips to help me not destroy a good cam?

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 09:06:42 PM »

Thank You Dave..does it matter that the replacemet antenna dosnt have the same wire coating?

I wouldn't expect the wires to be exact... they should be somewhat similar... like a wire insulated, inside a shielding mesh of wire.

also the replacement has a little clip at the end will can I cut that off? ..any tips to help me not destroy a good cam?

Use your soldering iron to remove the old antenna. Cut and solder the new antenna wire as needed (you only have so much space inside the camera). If the new antenna doesn't give you the desired results... put the old antenna back.

pantarra

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 09:19:49 PM »

it appears the antennas I bought dont have the plastic coating like one on X10...heres the link to the antennas
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290350446384&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

thanks Dave

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 12:45:14 PM »

it appears the antennas I bought dont have the plastic coating like one on X10...heres the link to the antennas

The coating should not matter.  What you need is an antenna in the same band (2.4 GHz - You got that)
and to connect the two parts of the wire to the X10 device  (jacket and center conductor of the wire)

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!   ;)
>!

pantarra

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 07:54:40 PM »

Worked really well and the cam quality was much better the high gain antenas I bought made a big difference

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 10:02:56 PM »

Worked really well and the cam quality was much better the high gain antenas I bought made a big difference

Very cool. Really glad to hear your happy with your results. This X10 stuff seems to be made to be modified.

pantarra

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 10:37:31 PM »

thank you guyz for your help

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 07:21:35 PM »

Hay just saw this post just want I was looking for, if I read this correctly the modification was done on the Camera, I was thinking about doing this to the receiver. Anyone else try this?? Just wondering were I can get a suitable antenna any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

And why can't x10 make improvements like this it would only result in INCREASED sales, heck I would have bought more cameras if the antenna on the receivers were multi directional.

Tom j.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 07:33:07 PM »

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=979tgk0dmd86ugvc6blags9735&topic=17116.0

Although the same router antenna used for the cameras should also work for a receiver.

One thing about the original directional antenna. Since it was directional it may have had some gain to receive the cameras signal better if it was weak.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 09:12:34 PM »

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=979tgk0dmd86ugvc6blags9735&topic=17116.0

Although the same router antenna used for the cameras should also work for a receiver.

One thing about the original directional antenna. Since it was directional it may have had some gain to receive the cameras signal better if it was weak.

So do you think it would work or that you would be better off trying it on the camera, if the receiver worked I could use multiple cameras with just one modified receiver. Thanks

Tom j.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 12:06:53 AM by tom j »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 09:16:25 AM »

And why can't x10 make improvements like this it would only result in INCREASED sales, heck I would have bought more cameras if the antenna on the receivers were multi directional.

Tom j.
$0.02
I think X10's original design called for the paddle antenna because their camera transmitters are VERY low power out, and a directional antenna (the paddle) provides signal gain in the direction the paddle faces. Maybe when they decided to get in the video business they didn' invision the Ninja, so they did not contemplate the effects of the pan when the camera is mounted to a Ninja P&T unit. I think us old "RF geezers" has many times scratched our collective heads, wondering "why did they do that".

If me, I would try the router antenna on the video receiver first. Receivers are less sensitive to antenna mismatch that transmitters. Then move on to the camera mods if the receiver mod does not fix your problem. Several regulars have modded their cameras with great results (i.e Dave X10).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 09:59:29 AM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 07:49:52 AM »

I've never cracked one of the paddles open, but would be interest to know if there's a "Fractal Antenna" plate inside.  Would kinda make it a universal antenna if x10 were ever to change the channel.  Would allow one part to interchange to different products.

I guess one of you guys that worked for "M" would have to look at the transmitter circuit to see how reflected energy would work on the emitter.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 10:14:45 AM »

I guess one of you guys that worked for "M" would have to look at the transmitter circuit to see how reflected energy would work on the emitter.
Brian H has noted that one of the three pots on the PC board adjusts TX frequency, which would imply a VCO-PLL for transmit freq. I don't remember if Brian noted a crystal for the PLL comparision clock. A WAG might be only EFP is effected by mis-match and not frequency stability.

I remember seeing a pix of the antenna plate but don't remember the details. I will see if I can locate that pix.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.